Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4498 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
DawnC86548

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Recreating a 100 year old house

This is my grandparents' old house that I am trying to recreate. I am wondering how to do a roof, but also on the right the wall sloops. I am very new to things - Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Image at https://www.mediafire.com/view/57j5pfnn7p68gvo/Image_2-4-23_at_6.18_PM.jpg/file
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Feb 6, 2023, 9:42:24 AM]
[Feb 6, 2023, 1:50:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Recreating a 100 year old house

I hope you have more pictures and some approximate dimensions. This is a pretty challenging project if you're still new to Sweethome3D!

For the roof you can use the Generate Roof plugin. First read the help and get yourself familiar with how it works. You will probably need a few roof 'parts' to create the complete roof.

The sloping wall is easy, it's a standard feature of SH3D: you can set different heights for the start and end of a wall making it a sloping wall.

If I see it right the front walls of the entrance are also a little sloped. The problem is that you can't tilt the sides as walls so you will have to create an object end tilt that as a wall replacement for the sides. For the little roof you can use the Generate Roof plugin.
The sides of the stairs can be thick sloped walls.

To rounded openings for the doorway and the right side are not as easy. The easiest way to do this is to draw a thin wall in the form and size of the opening required: Draw a square and create an arc in the top wall with the little arrow in the middle of the wall when it is selected. Set the height to something like 20.
Export the walls and import the object, tilt it so it's upright with the arc on top, export again, import as Door or Window and insert in the wall.

Depending on how accurate you want it to be you might have to create your own custom windows.

You will learn a lot on the way!
[Feb 6, 2023, 8:47:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand

The house looks like it has a basement that is partly above ground. I'm not sure what the standard way of achieving that is, but in the past I've used "Miscellaneous" boxes (and wedges) to make large slabs to represent the ground-level, that way the partly above/below ground story can be modeled as a normal storey.

I would concentrate on building the basic layout with the available windows and doors first. Once that's right, you might then replace some doors and windows and other details with custom 3D models. I found Art Of Illusion to be the easiest 3D modeller to get my head around, but that was a few years back, perhaps there are better alternatives now.

By resizing and combining primitive shapes and texturing them, you can often make do without creating a custom model. SH3D comes with a "Miscellaneous" box, I don't think it includes a generic wedge shape, but some folk have contributed wedges (some call them "triangles"). A wedge would be the object you could stretch and attach to a wall to make it look sloped. If you want to build a roof from primitives, a pyramid is also a useful generic shape (the roof plugin didn't exist when I modelled out house - so I used combinations of primitive shapes).

The box is you friend, it can even be used to create an in-model 3D ruler for use when judging heights, lengths, boundaries, etc.

The roof, ground, rear-deck platform, deck steps, and many other elements in the following model have been made using textured boxes, wedges and pyramids.

[Feb 6, 2023, 9:16:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

The house looks like it has a basement that is partly above ground. I'm not sure what the standard way of achieving that is, but in the past I've used "Miscellaneous" boxes (and wedges) to make large slabs to represent the ground-level, that way the partly above/below ground story can be modeled as a normal storey.
Check the Tips and Tricks. The first in the list is about how to add a basement.
The advantage over using boxes and triangles is that you can design the interior too, even if that's only utilities like pipes (sewer, water, gas).

Try using the 'Generate 3D Shape' tool on the tools menu to create exact sized wedges etc. I often use it for window frames with 45° cut corners. That way you can control the texture direction.

Nice house!
[Feb 6, 2023, 10:19:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand

Check the Tips and Tricks. The first in the list is about how to add a basement.
The advantage over using boxes and triangles is that you can design the interior too, even if that's only utilities like pipes (sewer, water, gas).

Try using the 'Generate 3D Shape' tool on the tools menu to create exact sized wedges etc. I often use it for window frames with 45° cut corners. That way you can control the texture direction.

Nice house!

Thanks.

I should have been clearer in my writing. I have modelled the foundation as proper walls at an appropriate elevation. But because the site is not level, I've used boxes and wedges externally to the house to simulate different ground levels and slopes. I suppose it would be possible to model the exterior driveway and front yard using walls, but it would be more work.

I think I did at one stage use something to generate shapes, perhaps it was the 'Generate 3D Shape', I did create quite a few items using Art of Illusion. I also wrote a couple of plugins to do bulk color and texture changes so I could easily retexture or recolor large groups of items (kitchen tops, timber finishes, ...). I haven't kept up with all the plugins available, there may well be some new ones worth checking out.

I used SH3D to assist with renovating the pictured house. It was a very useful tool for communicating with the architect and builder. It was also great for working out sun angles and exposure for different times of the year. It has subsequently proved useful for evaluating the impact on us of planned developments in the neighbourhood (sun over the seasons, outlook, and privacy).
[Feb 7, 2023, 12:21:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DawnC86548

USA

Thank you for the tips!
Here is current and better pictures. It is a 100 year old house. The current owners let me tour of the house a few weeks ago and the lights etc that my grandparents put in - they are still working and being used as other stuff. The house has only had 4 owners.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/cfi9teq5dtz2osy/IMG_9043.jpeg/file

https://www.mediafire.com/view/sh2xpfbx2k6k30...29-23_at_5.20_PM.jpg/file

Thank you!
[Feb 7, 2023, 1:38:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

... I've used boxes and wedges externally to the house to simulate different ground levels and slopes. I suppose it would be possible to model the exterior driveway and front yard using walls, but it would be more work.
That's where the Terrain Generator would provide an excellent solution. You have to get used to it but it allows a far more realistic exterior design. Only for straight and sharp edged objects the boxes, triangles, and sloping walls would be better.
[Feb 7, 2023, 1:26:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

@DawnC86548
The window on the right is definitely a custom project, I don't think you will find a model that matches it. But that's the fun op SH3D smile

I noticed that the basement has windows so you will have to create a below ground level (level -1) that sticks partly above the ground level. Your regular level 0 will have to start at an elevation on top of the basement.

You can't see it from the outside, but if the floor of the room on the right is lower than the rest of level 0 you will have to add another level for that part of the house. As I said before: you're taking on a huge challenge for someone not experienced yet with SH3D. Stick to it and have fun while doing it! Next projects will be a lot easier. In a year you will probably rebuild this house again with everything you learned.
[Feb 7, 2023, 1:37:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand

@DawnC86548
The window on the right is definitely a custom project, I don't think you will find a model that matches it. But that's the fun op SH3D smile

To get started with you could approximate the window on the right by grouping the standard-furniture-set's Half-Round widow and one of its existing normal windows. In my earlier post the two arched windows on the rendered house model were exactly that, a grouping of the half-round window and a normal window that are both included in the standard furniture set.

When you've sufficient experience (and enthusiasm) you could then go on to model them properly in a separate tool such as Art or Illusion.
[Feb 8, 2023, 3:47:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
T_R

currently ;China

@Dawn
I just read about your project. I can understand what you going through. Im just on the way sins one year, to create in SH3d a local house first brick layed about 200y ago. It started with a wooden construction what is still there, and later walls went made out of clay. Additional building parts came later. So what I try is to make a digital conservation of this. Trouble: it is quite far away and I rely on few measurements and more pictures. . But the fun is most must made " by hand".biggest challenge was the 3 roofs.
In case you want come in contact send a email, please. I can't use thinks like mediafire ecp to upload somewhere pictures just to post a link here. There are restrictions where I am.
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Laptop : EEEPC 1201N
250GB, 2 GB Ram, Broken Display, SH3D 6.2
Behind Chines "Firewall"- NO Google Servive working at all.
Never give Up!
[Feb 19, 2023, 7:22:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved