Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1966 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
EloFan

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused create own 3D models with opening

Hello,
I am trying to get an idea of how to create my own 3D models that can be opened.

Is it useful to use a free CAD like:

Or better do everything in SH3 (with the help of Furniture Library Editor)?
I found

The first is quite clear but the second does not tell me how to modify a 3D model, I'm a bit lost here...

As far as I understood you need an OBJ file, where you can edit the details in regard to an opening.
I skimmed the following threads

thx for giving me some guidance
stefan
[Dec 29, 2022, 10:39:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: create own 3D models with opening

Yes, you need an OBJ file. When you export a model from SH3D it produces an OBJ and a MTL file. The OBJ file is the model description, the MTL file is the material file.

The first post in the second forum thread you listed (http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,8704_offset,8) explains how to add deformations.

In short, you edit the OBJ file with a plain text editor. You have to find which g group(s) is/are the axis for your deformation and you prefix the g name(s) with "sweethome3d_hinge_1_" (or "sweethome3d_rail_1_" for a slider or "sweethome3d_ball_1_" for a ball deformation). See also this thread where new deformation options and chaining are explained: http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,11818.
After you have added the prefix for the axis you determine every g group that has to move using the defined axis. For every one of those g groups you rename them by prefixing them with "sweethome3d_opening_on_hinge_1_" (or rail or ball).
Import the OBJ file and the deformation should work.

You can also use Blender to rename the groups. That might be easier because you can select a group to see what it is. After changing the group names in Blender, export as OBJ file and import it in SH3D. I usualy set different temporary textures in SH3D to guide me to which group is what and edit the OBJ file with a text editor but you might find the Blender way easier.

To get an example simply export a door from SH3D (one that has the modify openings option) and view the OBJ file that is created. You will see the prefixes as mentioned in the forum threads.
You should also download the examples mentioned in that post to review how it is done. Especially if you want to have multiple different deformations in a single object and/or have chained deformations. Once you understand it it's not that difficult.

By-the-way, for deformations the furniture library is not a requirement, just the prefixes in the OBJ file.
[Dec 31, 2022, 5:27:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
EloFan

@keet thx for all the information, it is highly appreciated :)
SH3D and Blender are the apps to be used in such cases.

I read that there could be even several openings per model, couldn't it?
It's more of a theoretical question, but I could create blinds and each element could be movable and rotatable?
[Jan 1, 2023, 9:18:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I read that there could be even several openings per model, couldn't it? It's more of a theoretical question, but I could create blinds and each element could be movable and rotatable?
Yes, that is certainly possible. Check the MultiAxesTest and flexible hose examples mentioned in this thread: http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,11818. The trick to have multiple opening in the same object is to give them increasing numbers like sweethome3d_hinge_1_, sweethome3d_hinge_2_, etc. Numbering must start at 1 and you can't skip numbers.

The flexible hose is a good example to show the increasing numbers for chained deformations but even without chaining you need to increase the number per type of deformation.

You can create a cabinet with 2 drawers and 2 doors where each drawer and door can be opened individually. The object will contain "g sweethome3d_rail_1_*" and "g sweethome3d_rail_2_*" for the drawers and "g sweethome3d_hinge_1_*" and "g sweethome3d_hinge_2_*" for the doors.
One drawer will have all it's parts prefixed with "g sweethome3d_opening_on_rail_1_" and the second drawer will have all it's parts prefixed with "g sweethome3d_opening_on_rail_2_". For the doors it's similar: one door will have all of it's parts prefixed with "g sweethome3d_opening_on_hinge_1_" and the second door with "g sweethome3d_opening_on_hinge_2_".
[Jan 1, 2023, 10:39:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
EloFan

thx again for the information :) :)

It goes a bit off topic but
1) is there a good library of times like handles etc.? I tried https://www.bimobject.com/ but it seems not ideal for this purpose.
2) is it easily feasible to generate texture from pictures? I would like to have you wooden floor available as texture.

Lastly, what is the recommended application (if there is one) if you want to create models outside SH3D?
[Jan 4, 2023, 8:50:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

1) is there a good library of times like handles etc.? I tried https://www.bimobject.com/ but it seems not ideal for this purpose.
I don't know of a specific library for handles. What I usually do is find a model with the handle that I like and use that to get the handle: import the model in SH3D, modify the properties by making every part invisible except the handle, export the partial model, import the handle. That way you get a model of just the handle.

2) is it easily feasible to generate texture from pictures? I would like to have you wooden floor available as texture.
You can import an image to use as a texture. There's an Import button on the modify window after you click to change the texture.

Lastly, what is the recommended application (if there is one) if you want to create models outside SH3D?
I create most of my models with SH3D with the occasional usage of Blender for those things SH3D is not capable of doing. If you read through this forum you will see that Blender is the most used program for creating models but it's a lot more difficult to learn than SH3D.
[Jan 4, 2023, 10:14:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
EloFan

:)
thx again
[Jan 4, 2023, 4:17:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved