Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2644 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
decard

AU
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Exact Wall Alignment Issues

there does not seem to be any option to fix your wall position on centre, or either edge of wall - it always centres it seems

this makes sizing and dimensioning very messy - because, say wall is at say 21m, with thickness of say 100mm (for simplicity), then edges of wall are now 20.950 and 21.050.

which then subsequently makes accurately aligning abutting walls a time-consuming pain

and lengths of abutting walls odd lengths

is there a solution/fix/work-around for this?

relatedly, espec given the above, do you align abutting walls in the centre - which leaves an odd corner? or do you drag it to the far edge of the abutting wall? or do you drag to the near edge of the abutting wall?

and both of the last two mean odd wall lengths if walls are based on wall centres.

what is standard practice?
[Sep 1, 2022, 7:01:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Exact Wall Alignment Issues

Walls are drawn with their center line specified by their X,Y-coordinates.
The discussion about whether or not this is the best way to draw walls, is as old as SH3D. Seen the fact the nobody ever had a better solution, that is still the way walls are drawn today.

I'm assuming "abutting walls" means "touching walls".
Walls are connected at or between their X,Y-coordinates, ergo somewhere along their center line.
In SH3D that is standard practice.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 1, 2022, 8:39:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

1. Walls are always measured in their middle but you can use the ability to compute values in numeric text fields to help you for the maths. Just enter a math expression and it will be replaced by the result when the focus leaves the text field (see Tips section in the help for the allowed operators and functions).
If you need to draw walls abutting along vertical or horizontal walls precisely, you could also use alignment lines which also appear along wall sides when you zoom in.

2. If questions about measuring walls in their middle have been asked many times here, I think you're the first person to ask here if there's a standard practice about aligning walls.
If you want the exact volume of plaster or concrete needed to build a house, joining walls along their borders or at their middle could make a difference, but I'm not sure that tolerances in buildings could make that difference important and wonder if it's really the goal of Sweet Home 3D.
Personally, I generally draw an abutting wall from the middle of the wall it's joined to, using alignement lines shown in wall middle. If a measure is important, I think it's better to add a dimension line than relying on how walls in the plan were drawn.

What do you mean by "odd corner"?
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 1, 2022, 9:14:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
decard

AU

thanks for reply. let me digest that for a while. and possibly add additional comments. :-)
[Sep 1, 2022, 12:56:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
decard

AU

1. Walls are always measured in their middle but you can use the ability to compute values in numeric text fields to help you for the maths. Just enter a math expression and it will be replaced by the result when the focus leaves the text field (see Tips section in the help for the allowed operators and functions).
If you need to draw walls abutting along vertical or horizontal walls precisely, you could also use alignment lines which also appear along wall sides when you zoom in.

2. If questions about measuring walls in their middle have been asked many times here, I think you're the first person to ask here if there's a standard practice about aligning walls.
If you want the exact volume of plaster or concrete needed to build a house, joining walls along their borders or at their middle could make a difference, but I'm not sure that tolerances in buildings could make that difference important and wonder if it's really the goal of Sweet Home 3D.
Personally, I generally draw an abutting wall from the middle of the wall it's joined to, using alignement lines shown in wall middle. If a measure is important, I think it's better to add a dimension line than relying on how walls in the plan were drawn.

What do you mean by "odd corner"?

i cannot upload screen shots (or anything else).

these are caused because if you select the centre of wall thickness (default) for two abutting walls so yoiu can be exact, you get these corners
[Sep 4, 2022, 1:11:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Did you read the first message on this page ??

http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/listthreads?forum=6
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 4, 2022, 3:03:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
function10

confused Re: Exact Wall Alignment Issues

2. relatedly, espec given the above, do you align abutting walls in the centre - which leaves an odd corner? ...

By odd corners, do you mean something like my problem about closing / joining walls? The solution is to select the two walls, right click & select "Join walls"
[Nov 20, 2022, 2:25:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I wonder if you deactivated magnetism in case it could explain also your odd corners.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 20, 2022, 1:43:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved