Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4663 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
carlos_spork

Argentina
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
My own home (as is)

Hello,

I am about to start a remodeling project on my home. I decided that it would be wise to use Sweet Home 3D to create a model of my home as it is today and then move forward with the remodeling project/model.

I didn't think I would be able to create an exact replica of my current home. It took a while, of course, but I finally got it right (lots of quirky compromises included :( ).

I am posting both a picture and the actual .sh3d file. If someone ever takes a look at it, suggestions to improve the model are most welcome.

Picture:
https://www.mediafire.com/view/z9x8g6soyz7bak...erda_media_tarde.jpg/file

Model:
My own home (as is)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Jul 5, 2022, 5:37:55 PM]
[Jul 4, 2022, 12:06:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Re: My own home (as is)

It depends on what the purpose of the model is. Is it going to be used as part of getting required permissions or permits? Or is it just for a starting point for figuring out what changes you wish to make?

Not knowing what your planning departments require, I'd say it is likely not enough for your "existing" plans/drawings. It certainly can't produce the necessary drawings for my location.

For re-imagining your home, I'd say it is a good model to start from... with one exception. Your levels make no sense. I have to hide things (the roof) to see either the plan or an overhead aerial view.

Roofs should be on a separate level "above" the "PB-Architectura" level so that I can select "PB-Architectura" and see the ground floor layout easily. By "above" it can keep the same elevation, just above "PB-Architectura" in the level list.

Also consider that most of your time and focus will be on the ground floor layout of your home. Consider putting everything else (garden and boundary walls, the other small building, etc) on another level also at the same elevation. This just makes it easier to focus in on the main building when figuring out your changes by using Ctrl-Shift-H to hide all the other levels.

Last suggestion (I promise) is to mark any load bearing walls, if any. Maybe use a different wall pattern in the plan. That way it is easier to see what cannot be shifted, and must be incorporated into any new design. In particular check if your roof ridge is supported at all by the walls that look like they run directly underneath.

Without knowing what constraints you have, and what you think you could do, I have to say the current design looks very efficient and compact. I'm struggling to see how the current plan could be improved without extending out or up. (I'm assuming you want to keep it a 3-bedroom property.)
[Jul 5, 2022, 1:54:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
carlos_spork

Argentina
smile Re: My own home (as is)

I really appreciate you taking the time to post your comments.

It depends on what the purpose of the model is. Is it going to be used as part of getting required permissions or permits? Or is it just for a starting point for figuring out what changes you wish to make?

The model's purpose is to have it as a starting point for figuring out my options for the remodeling project.

Not knowing what your planning departments require, I'd say it is likely not enough for your "existing" plans/drawings. It certainly can't produce the necessary drawings for my location.

When the time comes, I'll use a CAD software to prepare the blueprints as required by our City Hall.

For re-imagining your home, I'd say it is a good model to start from... with one exception. Your levels make no sense. I have to hide things (the roof) to see either the plan or an overhead aerial view.

Roofs should be on a separate level "above" the "PB-Architectura" level so that I can select "PB-Architectura" and see the ground floor layout easily. By "above" it can keep the same elevation, just above "PB-Architectura" in the level list.

Also consider that most of your time and focus will be on the ground floor layout of your home. Consider putting everything else (garden and boundary walls, the other small building, etc) on another level also at the same elevation. This just makes it easier to focus in on the main building when figuring out your changes by using Ctrl-Shift-H to hide all the other levels.

True, it is really annoying when I have to hide and unhide the roof all the time. The same goes for keeping the focus on the main building. Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will certainly follow your advice.

Last suggestion (I promise) is to mark any load bearing walls, if any. Maybe use a different wall pattern in the plan. That way it is easier to see what cannot be shifted, and must be incorporated into any new design. In particular check if your roof ridge is supported at all by the walls that look like they run directly underneath.

Without knowing what constraints you have, and what you think you could do, I have to say the current design looks very efficient and compact. I'm struggling to see how the current plan could be improved without extending out or up. (I'm assuming you want to keep it a 3-bedroom property.)

The idea I am considering is to expand up. I have already reviewed the existing structure and determined that I will be able to expand on the upper floor by reinforcing the existing slab with a reinforced concrete compression layer using a welded steel reticulated mesh walled into the perimeter walls. The dividing walls on the upper floor will not be made of masonry but steel framing (dry construction system), which will significantly reduce the load on the slab. I still have to define the final usable area, since that depends on the new geometry and elevation of the roof, which will have windows to the front and the back of the house. The only section I will need to reinforce is the one on top of the ground-floor bathroom, which will have another bathroom on top of it on the upper level.

Thank you again for your input!
[Jul 6, 2022, 2:20:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
carlos_spork

Argentina

By the way, I am using Sweet Home 3D because it is by far easier to manage than a professional CAD software, mainly when I have to "share" it with my family and "listen" to everyone's input. I am a construction contractor, and I can assure you it's easier to deal with my clients' input than with the input I am constantly getting from my family members.
[Jul 6, 2022, 2:27:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Hmmm. That will give you a lot of additional area to play with. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with. I hope you let us see your plans. Have you considered balconies cut into the roof slope on those areas where the roof is lowest? Or might that be something the city frowns on? Also depends on your budget, and personal preferences/requirements. The Velux CABRIO is a lovely alternative to a full balcony, but eye-wateringly expensive.

Please forgive me for asking, but does your area have issues with crime, or is it normal to have security bars on all the windows in Argentina?

I've never used pro-level CAD but it has always looked like the last tool to use when you are done with the design. I totally agree that SH3D is for the early fluid planning phase when things are changing every five minutes.

Good luck.
[Jul 7, 2022, 12:28:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
carlos_spork

Argentina
smile Re: My own home (as is)

I hope you let us see your plans.

I certainly will :)

Have you considered balconies cut into the roof slope on those areas where the roof is lowest? Or might that be something the city frowns on? Also depends on your budget, and personal preferences/requirements.

I have. It will depend on all of the factors you mention. The city hall does not object to this, as long as I meet the requirements of the Urban Planning Code regarding the relationship between the maximum occupied area and the maximum roofed and semi-roofed area.

The Velux CABRIO is a lovely alternative to a full balcony, but eye-wateringly expensive.

Sadly, not an option due to its cost.

Please forgive me for asking, but does your area have issues with crime, or is it normal to have security bars on all the windows in Argentina?

So, you noticed that, huh? It's sad, but security bars and alarms have long ago become a defacto standard for almost every house that is not within a private guarded neighborhood. And yes, it's because of the crime rate, which has been only increased for the last 30 years, and not only in my area but almost in the whole country. It's anyway only a dissuasive measure (one of my crew members has a saying: "You just give me a 3-foot 1" steel pipe and I will break into any house with security bars.")

I've never used pro-level CAD but it has always looked like the last tool to use when you are done with the design. I totally agree that SH3D is for the early fluid planning phase when things are changing every five minutes.

That's my approach for any project, and it's also the reason I've paid for SH3D's license. A professional CAD software is mandatory for most submitting construction-permit requests to most city halls (they don't accept blueprints on paper anymore).
[Jul 7, 2022, 12:15:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NIMAN

United Kingdom

Some good advice in this thread.

I finally spent the last couple of days starting detailed drawings that will, hopefully, underpin both a Building Control/Planning application (renovation/extension) here in the UK.

The property site has a significant slope (stepped foundations) and, relatively technical, damp-proofing measures will need to be clearly depicted/commented - vertical sections (Display side view tool), for example, must show location of outer cavity/inner cavity/inner wall(s) damp proof course locations and varying finished floor screed levels for post processing in Inkscape.

I already have 13 SH3D levels in the drawing, comprising:

7 (wall) template levels at elev 0 (to be repetitively copied as wall structure grows higher)

6 "actual" levels (one at elev 0, two at elev 150, one at elev 765, one at elev 822 and one at elev 915. These 6 levels are a mixture of 5 wall levels and a single room based level in order to generate a downward screed from it and upward extending tassle wall/suspended wooden floor furniture.

At the minute the whole existing structure is (largely) complete to the top of the highest foundation level in the property (I plan to draw the higher level damp proof courses as 1mm walls and the different levels of existing oversite screeds as 75mm floors).

The biggest single challenge faced, so far, is traversing the tabbed menu level list to identify relevant levels (e.g. when selecting a particular template level to copy from/to).

Something like the "Modify level" dialog could be useful (e.g. picking an item from an ordered list would resulting in that tab level being activated) but, even then, the level Names I use are long in order to provide context and the name field in such a dialog list would need to display the entire length.

I guess the following could help a little to simply traverse the entire SH3D tabbed levels in the normal menu:

http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,5899_offset,52#25845

storm88, you can already switch from a layer to another with the keyboard arrows when the focus is on plan tabs. I guess you would prefer direct shortcuts, but using Tab / Shift + Tab keys combination to change focused component isn't too hard.

but, shift+tab here only seems to iterate through plan/3d view/furniture only (maybe i'm missing a trick?)

If anyone has a strategy for traversing a large tabbed level list, which doesn't feel so much like my current "herding cats" one, i'd be interested to know.
[Jan 23, 2024, 12:16:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NIMAN

United Kingdom

That link in my last post doesn't seem to work here. If it helps, this is its text only copied into the message body (without using insert web hyperlink format button) which does seem to work in preview here:

http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,5899_offset,52#25845
[Jan 23, 2024, 12:40:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

The biggest single challenge faced, so far, is traversing the tabbed menu level list to identify relevant levels (e.g. when selecting a particular template level to copy from/to).
That can be solved by giving the levels/tabs names that makes sense for the level. One method I use is "0[250]" where 0 is the level elevation and 250 is the height. That is particularly useful when you have multiple levels with different heights. Sometimes I split the furniture from the actual plan and add a level at the same elevation naming it "0[250]F". For me that's an easy way to identify the level and it's furniture level. For template levels you could use something like "Walls1", "Walls2", "Foundation1", "Damp1". Optionally extended with the elevation/height numbers.
Try to keep the tab names as short as possible to avoid too many rows of tabs.

If you work with templates for copying to other levels you can also think about having a second project with only the templates. Make one template level the only visible one, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, and paste in the production project. This limits the number of levels/tabs in each project and makes traversing easier.
[Jan 23, 2024, 1:18:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NIMAN

United Kingdom

[If you work with templates for copying to other levels you can also think about having a second project with only the templates. Make one template level the only visible one, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, and paste in the production project. This limits the number of levels/tabs in each project and makes traversing easier.

Excellent. I'd already loosely formed that idea but putting it into practice will definitely help my tired eyes.

That can be solved by giving the levels/tabs names that makes sense for the level. One method I use is "0[250]" where 0 is the level elevation and 250 is the height. That is particularly useful when you have multiple levels with different heights. Sometimes I split the furniture from the actual plan and add a level at the same elevation naming it "0[250]F". For me that's an easy way to identify the level and it's furniture level. For template levels you could use something like "Walls1", "Walls2", "Foundation1", "Damp1". Optionally extended with the elevation/height numbers.

Yes, i'll definitely have to work on an internal brain map to make a simplified naming convention which means, to provide my own context, the same as, for example, this:

"11 ACTUAL FRONT OUTER CAVITY WALL(ELEV 150) TO TOP REAR FOUND (@915)" silly

Try to keep the tab names as short as possible to avoid too many rows of tabs.

My new mapping should not be too difficult to "internalise" - alittle thought needed to change existing before drawing again though smile

Thanks for the great pointers - much appreciated.

I think I can still imagine how tabbing through the levels could, sometimes, be useful, if it was available, though.
[Jan 23, 2024, 3:11:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved