Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2515 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
myklbykl

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Stainless Steel Texture?

I'm trying to create a stainless steel countertop with sink inserts. This is way more work than I expected. I created a wall that I will put a window in and then export and import to make the counter. This part is working, but there is no stainless steel texture available. I have found models created by others with really nice stainless steel textures, but when I try to create one by importing a large jpg of stainless steel, it looks terrible. Does anyone know the trick to this or where I can just download a stainless steel texture? I've found 8000 other types of metal, but not plain stainless steel, and some downloads have multiple JPGs of different colors, and I don't get how these are supposed to make stainless steel when I can only import one at a time.
[May 22, 2022, 7:44:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy
Re: Stainless Steel Texture?

This could happen bacause you have exported the wall without a texture, so the texture coordinates are not properly set.
Try to apply the texture on both sides of the wall before exporting.
You must be sure that the texture is a seamless one, i.e. left and right sides must match perfectly.
[May 23, 2022, 2:15:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

First do what Daniels118 suggested, export your walls with a texture on both sides. This can be any random texture since you can change that afterwards. I usually use different textures for each side so I can relate to the sides in the exported obj and mtl file for renaming the object properties before I import again.

When you apply your stainless texture and it doesn't look alright you can experiment with setting a different scale. If you want to see what that does apply a sky texture to a wall and see what difference it makes when you set a scale of 1000 or larger. It effectively changes the grid size for each texture 'tile'.

By-the-way, the multiple file textures are used in 3D design software and are a kind of layers for the texture (opacity,roughness,etc.). Usually one of the files is the 'normal' texture. Sweethome3D can only handle single file textures.
[May 23, 2022, 3:03:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thomasmendozajr

United States

I find that scaling the textures helps a lot. When I make textures for my walls I set my texture pixels 512x1024 once I import it I'll get a warning message but I just keep the image unchanged. When I set the image perimeters I use a 4ft X 8ft when you cover your wall the texture looks crisp and covers the wall correctly. I will use a 1024X1024 pixel for the floor the bigger the pixels the more detail also the more memory your computer will need to support the larger textures but on a 1ft X 1ft perimeter the image looks really good. You can keep the scale at 100% just change the measurements of cover area.
[Nov 10, 2022, 5:55:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved