Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6397 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
mirakels

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Elevating polylines

Is there a way to give polylines an elevation?
That would be great when allowing polylines to be shown in 3D-view.
[Mar 10, 2022, 11:24:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy
Re: Elevating polylines

You can add polylines to a different level with the proper elevation.
[Mar 11, 2022, 12:07:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mirakels

yes I'm using that now, but you can end up up with many levels. There is already a polyline attribute that specifies if it will show in 3-D so adding an additional elevation attribute seems to be a reasonable addition
[Mar 11, 2022, 7:07:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

I'm wondering what is the need of having polylines at many different elevations other than the ones of the floors. Can I ask what is your intent? I'm just curious.
[Mar 11, 2022, 8:28:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mirakels

I'm using polylines to draw the electric wiring, plumbing floorheating and ventilation tubes for all stories (3) of the house. This is all put in concrete, so ye, hidden in the floors/ceilings.
I already have groups of levels for each story including base plans and wall levels.

I want all the levels in a specific order so all seems a bit logical. for a specific story the floorheating is in the floor but ventilation and electric are in the ceiling.

Yes, I know that most if it can be done by setting level elevation but you can envison that that you may have two or 3 layers of electric wiring for example in the ceiling, and creating 3 levels for them seems a bit overkill. By allowing the polylines to have an elevation by themselves I can group all wiring for a single floor together to limit the number of levels.

Dealing with levels to make them viewable or not involves lots of mouse work. And again at render time you still have to calculate the position of a polyline so it is not a world problem to include an additional attribute per polyline...
[Mar 11, 2022, 1:05:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mirakels

Besides, using the 3-D drawing tool, all polylines must have a z position anyway. Such polylines can even be edited using the 'edit points' tool, but unfortunately only the x and y values can be edited. If that tool would be enhanced to also allow changing the Z value, then basically we have what I want...
[Mar 16, 2022, 7:07:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

The current data model and rendering code for polylines only handle the x-y coordinates, so the Advanced editing plugin can't do much, the improvement must come from the core of application. The Wirings plugin overcome this limitation by extending the data model with a new type of object (i.e. the "Wiring") and a dedicated renderer, but of course this new data type can be displayed only if the plugin is installed, while the Advanced editing is only required when you need to edit, not for visualization.
Unfortunately the Wirings plugin cannot be extended with the elevation feature, because the editing system can handle the points only if they lay on a surface, and placing them within a volume (either in mid air or in the concrete) would break the system.

In regards to the standard polylines, since the elevation of the polylines can be changed using a dedicated level, I don't know if adding the elevation feature to the polylines is worth the effort, but the last word belongs to Emmanuel Puybaret.

It should be possible to enhance the standard polylines writing a dedicated plugin, but as for the wirings, the elevation would be applied only if the plugin is installed: opening the file on another installation of SH3D which hasn't this plugin would show the polilines at their level's elevation.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Daniels118 at Mar 16, 2022, 9:22:04 AM]
[Mar 16, 2022, 9:20:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

Polylines coud be elevated but not (yet) from a user interface.
In polyline panel, after the view in 3D check box could be added elevation and arrow orientation (horizontal or vertical).
That's only if Emmanuel make this changes in the main program.
Set elevation is simple but arrow orientation it's not that simple.
How I've test it:
-install Generate roof v.1.0 alpha (where I've use elevated polylines)
-generate a roof with inner polygons.
-save file.
-I've remove all plugins to see what happen.
-Reopen file and polylines keep their elevation.
Indeed this option could be added to Advanced Editing -> Points Editor but also it's not that simple.
A workaround is to edit manually Home.xml on every file and add elevation tag with value but is very difficult.

When I've renovate my apartment I've solve it with elevated cylinders and push them in walls.
In 2D plan I could see it and in 3D I make walls transparently.
In that way I could show to constructor what's in my mind and also I've have approximately the length and quantity.
Example for heating
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Mar 16, 2022, 11:24:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

On the other hand, the Wirings plugin is a more elegant solution but have to find a way (if any) to add new type of objects to xml file to be able to be computed by any installation.
I'm also interested in this for times when I will make some new kind of objects with specific characteristics.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Mar 16, 2022, 12:13:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mirakels

Thanks for your remarks Dorin. Sounds like nice things are going to happen in the future ;)

I also played with the wirings tool. It would indeed be handy if there would be a point editor for the wire points. That would automatically need a x,y AND z coordinate.

I noticed the wires are shown in 2D view too and from ther I coul use the point editor to change the color or dash type of the wire, but adding/removing points in there messes up the 3d view ;)
[Mar 16, 2022, 2:10:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved