Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3212 times and has 1 reply Next Thread

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Poor toolbar icon cognition, how to change?

How to change toolbar icons, size and choices?

Older versions of SH3D had better intuitive, more recognizable toolbar icons. Especially the new "Open", "Save" and "New". ("Save As" is missing)are challenging for anyone with mild vision impairment.

It amazes me that increasingly new versions of just about anything become "dull" in i.E. menu and icon appearance. A phenomenon in the industry, e.g. FireFox, Thunderbird or MS Office. All seem now have dull black/white/grey. Gone is the color or customization possibility which would/could yield much better cues or cognition.

A challenge for any vision impaired person.

A true oxymoron going backward, considering we evolved from mono "color" lo rez to 4 color CGA or 16 color VGA SD 480x640 to 32m colors and 4k!

Now SH3D as well. The worst offenders the aforementioned "Open", "Save" and "New" are illogical and poorly design "representations" and useless. They constant lead to unintended being used due to lack cognition.
In fact, it's easy to use the text menu! And I don't need/war glasses!

How can these icons be changed either back to the older ones or to customized different/imported more intuitive recognizable colorized designed ones?
[Jan 25, 2022, 2:29:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Poor toolbar icon cognition, how to change?

I'm not the one who launched this black and white fashion. I think it appeared mainly to satisfy more easily the needs of the dark mode in macOS, where inverting colors could give some weird results.
The older Tango icons are still in the folder src/com/eteks/sweethome3d/swing/resources /icons/tango of the source code in older versions (like here for version 6.5.2), and you can copy them in the new folder src/com/eteks/sweethome3d/swing/resources/actions where icons are stored now (see here for version 6.6). As far as I remember, I didn't change the name of the existing icons but many ones were added.

In fact, it's easy to use the text menu!
Note that this text appears also in the tooltip associated to each icon of the tool bar.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 25, 2022, 9:31:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved