Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2394 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
machtelt

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
A classic Can't open home?

Dear All,

This morning I installed your splendid program on our family Ubuntu computer.
I designed a new home, and as my youngest was very keen on exploring all features, I tried dumping a copy of the sh3d file in /var/tmp. It has all the right permissions, but still we get this "Can't open home" error.
I tried looking in this forum for similar errors, but didn't get any the wiser. I checked the file, it does not contain all zeros. Apart from that, I don't really have a clue where to start. I installed the program system-wide, my son can use it when he is logged in to his own account and he can draw stuff. So it is probably a matter of permissions - everything is, usually, but even a 777 does not solve the problem.

Does anybody recognize this?
Thanks for your time,

Machtelt.
[Dec 27, 2021, 5:13:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Re: A classic Can't open home?

/var/tmp has the sticky bit set. This means that user B cannot delete or rename files created by user A. It may be that SH3D is trying to do something to the file that is blocked by the sticky bit. User B should be able to copy the file to their home directory, and use it from there.
[Dec 28, 2021, 12:40:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
machtelt

Re: A classic Can't open home?

Ah, of course, why didn't I think of that... And to think I wrote a book about that stuff... Long ago in another life ;-)

Well thanks again for your time, and a happy New Year!
[Dec 31, 2021, 12:50:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved