Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1629 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
ZimBaroo

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Door won't 'snap' into wall

I was using Sweet Home today to modify a home I am working on and I grabbed a door and dragged it out to a room and it would not 'snap' into the wall like it used to.

It used to be that it would 'jump' into what ever wall I dragged it over, now they are just all free standing and if I move the wall the door doesn't move. Also I don't see where the door is positioned in the wall any more.

Any suggestions? I reinstalled, I look at configurations. I can't figure out anything.

Thanks for any help.
[Dec 17, 2021, 1:09:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Re: Door won't 'snap' into wall

Have you turned off magnetism in the preferences?
[Dec 17, 2021, 6:27:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ZimBaroo

That was it! Thanks!
[Dec 18, 2021, 12:07:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearpecs

US

Windows that I imported (whether with Import Furniture or Import Furniture Library) will not snap into any wall.
I disabled magnetism.
Suggestions?
Thanks.
[Dec 20, 2021, 11:46:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Enable magnetism!
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 21, 2021, 8:22:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

OK, so the previous response did make me laugh, but I think I see how you perhaps got confused Bearpecs.

In my message I was not saying that magnetism had to be turned off for window/door snapping to work, but asking if he had turned it off and that was why the snapping wasn't working. Magnetism must be on for the door/window snap to walls to work.

If you are importing your own furniture windows/doors, and want to snap to walls and poke holes through those walls automagically, you must specify that it is a window/door in the import wizard by checking the box "Door or window". If you are creating a furniture library then you are on your own as I barely touch the furniture library builder tool, but I'm sure the principle will be the same. Somewhere there will be a flag that needs to be set.
[Dec 22, 2021, 6:12:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearpecs

US

The window is definitely tagged as a window (in addition to being put in the doors and windows category of the furniture list).
I enabled Magnetism.
The window does snap, but it snaps to the outside of the wall, not into the wall.
[Dec 28, 2021, 1:44:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

This is a last really dumb sounding question... Your wall is actually a wall object, and not something representing a wall, right? The only way I could get a door object to snap to the outside of something was if it was a furniture object (i.e. a cube stretched to look like a wall) rather than an actual wall.

Otherwise, you'd have to share the file somewhere for us/me to take a look at.
[Dec 28, 2021, 4:49:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearpecs

US

perhaps easier to give you the window. I'll email it. (as soon as I figure out how to do that.)
but I think you're right about the furniture thing because when I double click on a regular window it gives me a small Modify Furniture dialogue box but when I double click on this one is gives me a large dialogue box.
[Dec 29, 2021, 3:26:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearpecs

US

Many thanks to sjb007! He provided a working version.
It turned out that the problem was related to using "Import Furniture" and choosing a .zip file. When I extracted the zip and imported the .dae file, it worked just as it should.
[Dec 29, 2021, 3:05:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved