Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4249 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
SixOfSpades

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
sad A *MOVED* installation cannot find my old furniture library

Long story short: My computer had a hardware issue that meant my old hard drive (on which Sweet Home was installed) had to be moved from the C: drive [master] to the D: drive [slave].

All of my files were copied to the new C: drive. The entire Sweet Home directory was copied to the exact same directory path on the new C: drive.

Sweet Home works. I can still run the program, from either drive. The problem is this: All of my furniture is gone. I had hundreds of models downloaded and installed to the Sweet Home library. All of those models, and the headings I created to group them in, are now gone. I have nothing but the bare-bones, default furniture library.

1) Re-installing everything from the zipped files I originally downloaded is not an option. I deleted those files once I had them "safely" installed into the Sweet Home library. I also can't recover them from the Recycle Bin, because that only contains the files deleted after the old C: drive became the D: drive.
2) Downloading the models again is not an option. Even if I had a list of what all is missing, being able to find everything all over again would still be very unlikely.
3) The third-best option is to find out what (else) needs to be done, and/or moved, to direct Sweet Home to the old furniture library, or to put the old furniture library where the program expects it to be.
4) I am already working on the 4th-best option, getting a computer store to cobble together some old parts that can use my old hard drive as the C: drive, the primary boot device. I can only hope that this will make Sweet Home see my old furniture directory again.

Even if Option 4 works, is there any hope for Option 3? Granted, this shouldn't be an issue for many users, but even if this post helps just ONE other person, that's still a benefit to the public. To anyone reading this, I thank you for your time & attention.
[Nov 26, 2021, 7:27:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: A *MOVED* installation cannot find my old furniture library

The furniture and textures you imported are not stored in Sweet Home 3D installation directory, but in another folder described here.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 28, 2021, 5:14:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SixOfSpades

United States

The content of the eTeks/Sweet Home 3D is portable from a computer to another one and across different operating systems. The difference from a system to another is the name of this folder and where it should be found:
- under Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 10, this folder is C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D . . .

Thank you for the information. I was all set to reply, "That's nice, except for the fact that neither of my drives even has a \Users\my name\AppData path at all." I even ran a system-wide search for the names
AppData
eTeks
*.pref
*.sh3t
and got no results at all. But then I ran one more search, for
preferences.xml
and got a hit, to my old D: drive. Open file location, and there was the full "AppData\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D" path, with almost 14,000 *.pref files in it. SUCCESS! biggrin

My problem was that AppData seems to be a hidden folder (in Windows 10, at least), which is why it wasn't shown even when I was looking in the right place. It was the same story on my new C: drive, I tried to create a new "AppData" folder, and got a message asking if I would like to merge this new folder with the one that was already there. I had to give the new folder a dummy name (Mortimer), go into it, create a new dummy file (Hepzibah.txt) there, go back out, rename Mortimer to AppData, agree to merge the folders, and finally run a search for Hepzibah.txt. Open file location, and only then could I access the AppData\Roaming\eTeks path on my C: drive.

I copied over the entire Sweet Home 3D folder from D: to C:, crossed my fingers, and opened the program . . .
. . . and there was all of my furniture, as well as my texture library. AWESOME! cool

Thank you SO MUCH. I promise to reward you with a magnificent inn. Eventually.
[Dec 2, 2021, 12:10:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Ouch, 14,000 files!!!
Be sure to backup your preferences files from time to time.
Isn't Sweet Home 3D too slow at launch?

To view AppData folder, you could also have tried these instructions.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 3, 2021, 10:49:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SixOfSpades

United States

Isn't Sweet Home 3D too slow at launch?
Just tested--it's under 4 seconds, even with all that luggage. I'm hoping that speed will also be apparent when rendering images.
The 14K files came as a surprise to me, as well; I knew I had a lot, but not THAT many. I'm currently archiving everything, one by one.

To view AppData folder, you could also have tried these instructions.
Well, either I'm still getting used to Windows 10, or I prefer creative, out-of-the-box solutions, or I'm an idiot who frequently does things the hard way. Choose whichever explanation you prefer. smile
[Dec 4, 2021, 5:54:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved