Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5335 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
MrJaw

United States of America
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Submitting models as .sh3f or .obj?

I see that on the Sourceforge 3D Models Contributions Tracking System, .obj files are preferred over .sh3f.

I've submitted quite a few models recently and used .sh3f because I thought, "well, Puybaret created the .sh3f file format so why wouldn't he want us to upload files in that format?" I further reasoned that he's a busy guy who might have forgotten to update the instructions on the Sourceforge site. I also like that .sh3f stores elevation data.

But, since I've made more models for uploading, and some of the models I already submitted are in need of a V2, I decided to ask:

Is it okay to upload models on the Contributions page on Sourceforge in .sh3f format?

If not, why?
[Oct 11, 2021, 4:08:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Submitting models as .sh3f or .obj?

My preference would be to offer your models gathered in a *.SH3F file.
1 - Ease of use, if you have more than one model
2 - Possibility to add special instructions

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Oct 12, 2021, 8:41:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

First, thanks for all the models you submitted smile
There's no problem to submit your models at SH3F format, and as you suggested, it allows you to specify additional parameters not available in OBJ format. The main drawback of SH3F files is that it takes more time to remove them than an imported model, in case you don't want to keep some models.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 12, 2021, 8:58:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MrJaw

United States of America

Hey, thanks for the info!

I also want to mention that I'm open to feedback. If you spot something weird about my models, do let me know. I've started modeling on Blender again after a 14 year hiatus, and it's pretty much just like starting over.
[Oct 14, 2021, 2:45:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I would suggest not to open a new ticket for the different versions of a given model, as you can more simply answer to yourself and post more files in the same ticket.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 14, 2021, 5:27:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MrJaw

United States of America

Sourceforge is a mystery to me, but I'll try to figure that out. :)
[Oct 15, 2021, 1:24:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

After looking at your models, I better understand your original question.

In my opinion, the best way to present multiple models is as follows:
1 - Gather all files of one model in a ZIP-file (OBJ, MTL + images of textures)
2 - Gather all ZIP files in an SH3F file

In this case I would probably make two groups: (1) kitchen cabinets and (2) accessories.

The way you presented the models now, means that you have to download all 40+ files individually, and then import them individually as well. That means a minimum of 6x40 = 240 clicks to import your models. If they were in two groups, you would need just 2x6 clicks.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Oct 15, 2021, 7:49:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MrJaw

United States of America

Thank you for your input, Hansmex!

I considered that, and decided to keep each model discrete, rather than put them into collections.

Personally, I have yet to download any of the collections that are floating around. I find it works best for me to pick and choose whatever pieces I want at the time.

Cheers!
[Oct 23, 2021, 1:48:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved