Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 248
Posts: 248   Pages: 25   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 630855 times and has 247 replies Next Thread
Vidium

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Generate roof plugin

I've been watching your progress and was impressed from the beginning. I'm stunned you have improved the function to this level. Amazing guy. Thank you!
[Mar 11, 2022, 4:34:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

Thanks to all!
But let's be fair:
1. The real hero is Tom Kelly who transpose the straight skeleton theory and improve it to weighted straight skeleton implementation in java.
I've try many times to read and understudy this but I fail.
2. Without the Daniele's plugin adaptation I'll never be able to do it.
3. What I've done was to make some weak solder between this sources and SH3D.
So that's all. Not big deal!
From my side is an unconditional surrender. If my attempt to make a new algorithm have succeed it would have been really amazing but...

On the other hand:
I encourage every one to try to make plugins for this software or new software in any language. It keep brain in function.
You can even use my method to steal and modify the work of others.
"Never say never"
I think it's time to give way to the youngest.
Majority of You are younger or around my boys children edge and they have also kids.
I'm born decade before the computer age so now it's Your time. Don't waste it!
----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Edit 1 times, last edit by dorin at Mar 12, 2022, 7:23:41 PM]
[Mar 12, 2022, 7:22:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

@Dorin
You're fair, nonetheless you made a GREAT work. I've seen "programmers" that would never achieve such results even in a thousand years.
Well done! applause
[Mar 13, 2022, 1:08:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

@Daniele,
Thanks but there is few problems:
1. Wrong texture;
2. Use full power of CampSkeleton.

1. I don't know how to make texture to be correct rendered.
It is a lot of terms and ordered sequences which I don't know.
I still try but I don't see a good result without help.
There are people who (I suppose) could do this (@enkoniyto, @ndorigatti) and maybe others.

2. Implement:
-2.1 Individual faces angle but for this I need:
--- to be able to select face in preview (similar to texture manager) but with mouse;
--- to add a slider for selected face, synchronized with an input box for precise value;
--- to add an reset button (to 45dg) for all faces.
--- to implement dynamic roof generation in moment You move slider or insert value.
--- I prefer a Model Preview Controller (like in main software) than to rewrite it again.
-2.2 Compute polygons with holes (like B or 8 or D)
--- for this could be selected more than 1 room but with smaller area than exterior roof projection and with all points inside projection.
--- first must verify IF CampSkeleton really can compute this. There is a file for this but I don't know if and how it work.

The most important and urget (for me) is 1.

Do You like my dreams?
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
[Mar 16, 2022, 2:06:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

@Dorin
About the the point 2
To make everything easier you could consider to separate the user input from the 3D preview. I mean you could reuse the 2D editor that comes from campskeleton to handle the user input; since it already works out of the box you haven't to spend any effort to make it work (see my example project). The 3D preview would be a plus.
Of course this is just a hint to reduce the amount of required work, I don't want to change your vision of your project.
[Mar 16, 2022, 3:04:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

New version 2.5 code-name "DL"
Unfortunately this plugin left YAUP category and go to Normal Plugins.
That happens when professional are implied. Thanks to Daniele who make 99% of work.
For this I owed him a truckload of beer d oh

News:
-bug fix in texture computation - @autor Daniele
-elegant solution to correct faces name - @autor Daniele
-remove blue edges when roof are exported - @autor Daniele
-add a slider in place of spin box
-replace "Refresh" button with "Reset all to 45dg"
Now You don't need to set a rotation angle for texture, just select 1, few or all and set texture at once.

Reminder of usage:
-select a room (supposed to be roof footprint)
-Tool-> Generate roof...
-change angle as how You like -> OK
-on 2D plan select object, Modify furniture, modify materials and set what texture you like.

If You try to modify texture globally from first texture button will don't work as expected!
Don't forget to set 3D view to show all levels.

Also on Source Forge
[Mar 20, 2022, 9:15:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Dorin,

We should erect a statue for the King of Roofs !!

The latest version works very, very well.

I tested on a few complex roofs without any problems.
Even the L-shaped roof with exactly equal sides now generates correctly.

Textures apply correctly and are orientated the way you expect. (Please send subroutine to Puybaret for inclusion in main program).

I see two remaining problems:
1 - The yellow border underneath the roof. It doesn't appear in the furniture list, so we can't change it (for the time being).
2 - The Autodimensioning plugin generates rooms for all walls, even when I select "Selected walls only".

Thanks you!!

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 20, 2022, 10:40:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

@Hans
The statue have to be a trinity: Emmanuel, Tom, Daniele.
Surrounded with a fancy and me, at gate, selling tickets to those who want to make selfies with them.
Back to be serious.
Textures apply correctly and are orientated the way you expect. (Please send subroutine to Puybaret for inclusion in main program).

I do if I have any clue "which" and "what".
Daniele try hard to teach me but he finally realize how dump I am and provided me the code.
Emmanuel is smart enough to knew what to do.

@1. It's a ordinary room. Make roof invisible and modify it or delete it.
I've insert it to don't let the roof on the air and to have a contrast.

@2. The AutoDimensionig have to be improved and You have right as usual.
I've also see it but I'm not able to be multitasking.

Thanks but tanks have to go to trinity guys.
[Mar 20, 2022, 1:52:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
YGYL
Advanced Member

Thank you very much!
It is recommended to add the Auto Dimensioning plugin for generating roof room areas to the Generate Roof plugin. Using 2 plugins for one thing will be confusing to most people
[Mar 21, 2022, 4:36:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

@YGYL
Thanks You test it!

1. All my plugins intend to be some tool box not Swiss army knife.
If You have something to fix in Your house, usually You need different tools from different toolbox (screwdriver with different heads, hammer, pliers etc.)
I don't think some of this are useless any time and could convert a hammer in screwdriver to have all in one finger.

2. I've add roof projection on Auto Dimensioning for two reason:
-- sometime is required in 2D plans in REAL LIFE
-- there are a lot of necessary subroutines which exist already

3. Auto Dimensioning is useful especially for round walls;
For relatively normal house You could draw roof projection by hand and don't use AD plugin.

4. Could You imagine and explain me how a user could interact with program?
-where to make click, then where and what to input or draw something, what program ask next and so on.
-maybe a scratch of UI and some explanations
Don't forget:
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do

5. If You help me to continue version 1 (with plane intersections)
it could be possible to use directly walls and their slope to generate more complex roofs.
Or You could provide another source code for this to contribute to this community.
[Mar 21, 2022, 10:22:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 248   Pages: 25   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved