Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4458 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
namwen

canada
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
how to make sloping and curved walls or roof?

I'm designing areno plan of my long vintage trailer that has sloping walls vertically at the front and back and where the side walls join. They are rounded several feet as they come up the sides to roof line.and rounded at the sides top as it joins the roof albeit much smaller. Additionally there is in each a "step" about half way up in each or an ledge offsetting the upper portion of the wall. Inside it looks like a long 5 inch wide shelf at 36 inches off floor for its entire length.
I have yet to figure out how to capture this in 2d, let alone translate it to 3d. The curves throw me. I tried making several different pieces like in the TIPS and Tricks guide for recessed doors but I couldn't make it work for my needs.

A house Roof similarly has sloping height roofs and valleys at varying angles from bottom to top. Some could have rounded features like eyebrow roof lines.
I don't know how to create an object to the import into library if that even is an option so Im left with the modifying abilities in Sweet Home 3D which Im a newbie at though a better than average newbie grasp of it. I just dont know how to manipulate the options to get there like some of you seasoned creators do.

Also... if the piece method like in recessed door in tips and tricks could be made to work... is there a "group all" feature to make many pieces become one element?

Note also windows are curved in corners and front and rear long ones on sides also slope forward or back to conform to shape. I don't know how to modify a regular window to mimic this either.

Thanks in advance.

[Aug 15, 2021, 2:24:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: how to make sloping and curved walls or roof?

See attached file

1 - in top view, draw the outline of walls, floor and ceiling
2 - add a room with floor, no ceiling
3 - make wall height half the width of your caravan
4 - insert doors and windows, rotated 90 degrees
5 - apply textures etc
6 - export as OBJ file, selection only
7 - import and rotate 90 degrees
8 - copy once, mirror and rotate, then join the halves

Disadvantage:
Walls can be seen from the inside, not from the outside
This could (probably) be solved by exporting just the floors (second time) and applying these to the outside.

Note:
Standard doors and windows can not be inserted in floors. Use your own doors and windows, import them as stairs, and see if that works better.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Aug 15, 2021, 11:08:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved