Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4311 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Good practice for derived version of Sweet Home 3D

To individually modify the ceiling lights of the rooms, a derived version of Sweet Home 3D must be created, the main constraint of which is to update each new version of the program.

For a good follow-up of these derived versions, is it better to create a new Sweet Home 3D project or a new Plug-in ticket in the official Sweet Home 3D project?

The GNU General Public License requires the publication of the source code for the modified program.

Apart from the executable jar version essential for a plug-in, distributing only a portable version for major updates (X.Y) of Sweet Home 3D is it enough?
----------------------------------------
EnkoNyito
[Apr 6, 2021, 11:43:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Re: Good practice for derived version of Sweet Home 3D

The build of jarExecutable and sourceArchive is successful but not for portableArchive because I get this message.
Warning: Could not find file C:\Library\Java\JavaVirtualMachines\zulu-15.0.2-macosx_aarch64.jdk\Contents\MacOS\libjli.dylib to copy.

Is it because in the build.xml file it is mentioned that ?
Builds install/portable/SweetHome3D-version-portable files required for SweetHome3D portable version
CAUTION : May be run only under Mac OS X and requires
OpenJDK 15.0.2 for x86_64 installed in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-15.0.2-macosx_x86_64.jdk,
OpenJDK 15.0.2 for arm64 installed in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-15.0.2-macosx_aarch64.jdk,
lipo, codesign and a certificate imported in Keychain Access

EnkoNyito
[Apr 7, 2021, 4:32:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

If the purpose of this derived version is only to handle individual light on ceilings as explained here, I think you could manage this feature with a plug-in that would modify the property of your choice on room instances. Properties are saved in SH3D files and you may even listen to their change from version 6.4.
A plug-in would also prevent from generating updates for each new version of Sweet Home3D.

If you want to build a portable version, you'll need a macOS computer for some parts as you correctly read (I gave some explanations about building the portable version in a comment of this blog article), but you could avoid it by reusing the existing portable version since you probably just want to change only SweetHome3D.jar file.

Finally, about where to host derived versions, it's up to you to decide. Just keep in mind that "Sweet Home 3D" is a registered trademark owned by eTeks, and it can't be reused anyhow.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 7, 2021, 12:24:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

If the purpose of this derived version is only to handle individual light on ceilings as explained here, I think you could manage this feature with a plug-in that would modify the property of your choice on room instances. Properties are saved in SH3D files and you may even listen to their change from version 6.4.
A plug-in would also prevent from generating updates for each new version of Sweet Home3D.
This derived version also offers the grouping of actions of the same plug-in in a menu.
This time around I added a new CEILING_LIGHT_POWER property and a ceilingLightPower spinner in the edit room panel. Is it also possible to manage them from a plug-in as you suggested?

If you want to build a portable version, you'll need a macOS computer for some parts as you correctly read (I gave some explanations about building the portable version in a comment of this blog article), but you could avoid it by reusing the existing portable version since you probably just want to change only SweetHome3D.jar file.
As I have been using the portable version for 1 year mainly with a configuration file, I had not noticed this old article.
Not having macOS, how to reuse portable version 6.5 with the derived jar file?

Finally, about where to host derived versions, it's up to you to decide. Just keep in mind that "Sweet Home 3D" is a registered trademark owned by eTeks, and it can't be reused anyhow.
If that were to be done, I thought to change the name by putting a reference to "Sweet Home 3D".
EnkoNyito
[Apr 7, 2021, 4:44:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Not having macOS, how to reuse portable version 6.5 with the derived jar file?
By replacing the SweetHome3D.jar file with my derived version, I can reuse the downloaded portable version.
SH3D-6.5-portable_derived.jpg
EnkoNyito
[Jul 25, 2021, 4:54:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved