Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4577 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
ShaneH

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
2D view, and some annoyances

3D is nice an all, but at the end of the day the contractor can't use any of it. He will be polite and take your "layout", while thinking he would like to strangle you. He will go to his office and place that "layout" in file 13, and in about a week or two with come back with something he hand drew on an graphing paper that you can't recognize. And so begins a "stressful" relationship with your very qualified and capable contractor.

Two VERY simple things would change all this. First, is simple shapes; rectangle, ellipse, and triangle. And when you double click them you can change their dimensions, and add visible text (similar to walls and doors). And yes I know about poly lines ... mostly useless. Second, make it so I can import an image (maybe even supporting PNG and GIF transparency), and use it in those simple shapes. A simple 2D image I drew in GIMP is far better than some of the stuff you have now. Look at garage doors and windows, you see a box with some other unrecognizable object inside of it, that image is useless to a contractor, or even myself. While designing the layout I saw one of them and did know what it was.

Also a note on the way you set dimensions, it is very strange. Take a wall for example, if you set a start point and an end point on the vertical plain on the horizontal plain you have to set the center point, twice. Also if you need a space to be, let say, 12 feet and you have 6 inch walls you will end up with only 11.5 feet, and its a pain to "adjust".

And what is up with the fractions, entirely useless, unless the idea was to have them in the way all the time. Maybe half inch would be useful on a rare occasions and once in blue moon maybe quarter inch would have a use, but decimals (0.25, 0.5, 0.75) would be far easier and MUCH less annoying.
[Mar 18, 2021, 12:34:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: 2D view, and some annoyances

I feel that you should rather not use Sweet Home 3D! A drawing program like Inkscape should be enough for you.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 18, 2021, 5:57:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

"Sweet Home 3D is a free interior design application" is the first thing you can read on the SH3D website...
What you are looking for is rather a CAD or, like Emmanuel mentioned, a simple drawing software.
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Mar 18, 2021, 7:38:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

21st century, time to go metric!
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 18, 2021, 9:36:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ShaneH

In the past I have used GIMP which is quite a bit more tedious. Also used Blender one point many years ago, and again very tedious. And that is kind of the theme for most other option. Inkscape looks interesting but I run Linux, only, so it requires using it with WINE and sometimes that is easy and sometime not. It's once every 10 or 15 years one is looking to build or remodel and so spending a bunch on something I will use for a week or 2 seems wasteful also.

Yea..... using metric... Back to my the first paragraph in the OP. Replace the word "layout" with the word "metric". And add a sentence about the contractor caving in my skull. I was trying to get 2 other "floor plan" programs to work, prior to this one, and they both also had a "point" unit option. If I used "1000 pt" per foot it was easy to translate that for showing dimensions. The points unit was born for the computer era, so it's really the measurement system for the 21 century.

Both those other programs had some difficult quirks. But the one thing that I did like was all the 2D images. They are important as it allows one to make sure they are allowing enough room in the layout for how you are looking to using the space. And really the image isn't that important as long as you have some way to represent the object in the layout. All the current objects are just a 2D shapes with a picture. Allowing one to change the picture, to one I made (or even found), would be about all that is needed. Most of the code is there just need the option added to change the picture.
[Mar 19, 2021, 10:50:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Inkscape is available for Linux too.

If you want to provide your own images in the plan, look at this thread.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 19, 2021, 12:38:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved