Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4972 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Virtual Visitor Level Boundaries

I wish the virtual visitor could transition between level boundaries and assume the new elevation change, i.e.: sunken floors, raised platforms, even steps to move into new levels. I realize much like in 3D shooter games it would require a collision mechanics between the virtual visitor and any object in the home. There could be a toggle if you want to walk through walls or not. When I played and did my own level editing for Unreal and Unreal Tournament (when you play tested a "game map" made with UnrealEd), you could invoke a fly command where with your cursor arrow keys and mouse could move to any elevation to look around and make full quality rendered screenshots. Anyway, this would be cool for video walkthroughs in SH3D. Right now if you want a certain perspective say mid stairs, you'd have to change the virtual visitor eye level setting. I'm sure something like this has been suggested before and it's probably beyond the purpose of what we use SH3D for so I understand. It's not a 3D game! This is just my fantasy wish. Take care. ;)
----------------------------------------
Steve N Mavronis - Retired PC Tech
[Feb 2, 2021, 2:28:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania
Re: Virtual Visitor Level Boundaries

beyond the purpose of what we use SH3D
I agree with that and I prefer to remain so.
SH3D is relatively unique as free CAD and simple to use at least for linux.
It's not a 3D game!
I agree also BUT...
Why You don't make a plugin for SH3D or a separate application able to use sh3d file to play games.
You only need a game engine to incorporate (with source code of course).
Could be a challenge.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Feb 3, 2021, 11:56:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

It's not a 3D game!
I agree also BUT...
Why You don't make a plugin for SH3D or a separate application able to use sh3d file to play games. You only need a game engine to incorporate (with source code of course). Could be a challenge.

I agree with your views. I don't think SH3D needs to become a game or needs a game plug-in per se. But better lag free mouse movement would be nice with the option to toggle collision on or off. Another similar competitor LH3D has that. In SH3D there's virtually no lag in the early stages of building room shapes, until it starts getting more complex with adding more furniture.

That's the parallel comparison with 3D games; I guess they have a much more robust 3D engine to be so lag free moving around in a fully light and rendered max quality level environment. I still have a rather high-end gaming PC, built to be future proofed in 2016. I play the fast paced sci-fi shooter Quake Champions online, pretty much lag free baring online ping issues. I'm surprised about the sideways motion mouse lag here in non-rendered design mode but I'm living with it because I love what SH3D can produce. It's worth that trade-off I suppose!

Also the aerial view could use some sideways translation scrolling on PC unless I missed that or doesn't work if it's already a feature. It's probably my bad if I'm working that wrong. But when I want to zoom in from the air I need to select what I want to look at or I'm in the next room.
Steve N Mavronis - Retired PC Tech
[Feb 3, 2021, 1:12:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

Another similar competitor LH3D has that
Maybe but:
1. Is not open source.
2. Is not cross-platform (not for linux).
3. Some improvement in 3D navigation could be welcome and I trust Emmanuel to do this somehow.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Feb 3, 2021, 2:11:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

Also the aerial view could use some sideways translation scrolling on PC unless I missed that or doesn't work if it's already a feature. It's probably my bad if I'm working that wrong. But when I want to zoom in from the air I need to select what I want to look at or I'm in the next room.

Agree!
I simple Lock x-y Position-option would be a real timesaver.
[Feb 3, 2021, 8:15:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved