Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4507 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Extensive memory usage?

I recently bought a new 2020 Mac Pro 24 core workstation, fitted with 192GB of memory. Although it was bought for another purpose, I at least thought 192GB of memory would solve the running-out-of-memory issues I have had when working with SH3D, but to my surprise I see that even when I'm working with a tiny file of 350MB, SH3D is suddenly using 60GB (as shown on the top of the list). I have allowed SH3D 32GB in cfg-file.

Photoshop, which is allowed 100GB of my memory, is only using 1.62 GB, working with some quite heavy files that weighs a lot more than the SH3D file of 350MB.

How come?

Anyone else having the same problem?

Xiste
[Jan 30, 2021, 10:34:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Extensive memory usage?

I would suspect that it's because of the way Java handles memory with its garbage collector. The more memory you grant to the program, the more it will use and the less it will spend time in recovering allocated memory that is not needed anymore.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 8, 2021, 11:36:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway
Re: Extensive memory usage?

It seems that the memory usage is building up with each rendering that is performed. Maybe there is a way to fix this in a future version, some routine within SH3D that could free up unused memory after each rendering?
Just wondering...

Thanks for your answer!

Xiste
[Feb 12, 2021, 7:04:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved