Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 62
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 95379 times and has 61 replies Next Thread
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Sweet Home 3D 6.5

Here are installers for the beta version of the upcoming version 6.5.

It comes with the new version 2.4.0 of JOGL which is the bridge between Java 3D and OpenGL libraries. I would be pleased to read your feedback about whether it works the same or even better for the Windows users who have some problems with Sweet Home 3D.
To be able to better follow users' configuration, the About dialog box now shows the provider of the Java and Java 3D versions used by Sweet Home 3D.

The previous screenshot also shows the Java version bundled with the macOS version was updated to Zulu OpenJDK 15 to be able to run under the new Mac ARM Silicon computers. The macOS version was also notarized to be able to launch more simply.

I wondered if I should also jump to OpenJDK 11 or 15 for Windows and Linux too, but fear that two major changes (JOGL and Java) in Sweet Home 3D might cause problems to track possible bugs. From some tests I made, moving to OpenJDK would also imply that the size of Windows installer will jump to 90 MB or even more if I want it to keep support for Windows XP.

This version also fixes some small bugs like the rendering of polylines joints (mainly in the Polyline modification pane) and some issues in the undo stack when a piece of furniture was dragged onto the plan while in creation mode.
Bigger changes in Sweet Home 3D should come later this year.

[Note from developer: Sweet Home 3D 6.5 was released on March 2, 2021]
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Mar 3, 2021, 9:22:28 AM]
[Jan 29, 2021, 1:55:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania
Re: Sweet Home 3D 6.5

I've make few tests and appear to work.
Few considerations:
1. java3d 1.7.0 (last stable) in place of 1.6.1.
-I knew it's a lot of work and I'm available to help
2. If java >9 don't like last java3d You could keep java 1.8
3. About Windows XP and 32b linux could be useful an opinion pull to see who still need it.
4. About java: almost all OS have their own politics and usually don't fully work with SH3D. So to bundle proper java in the same package I think is the best solution.
5. About polyline:
5.1- I like to modify individual segments (straight or curve). Could be more simple to make furniture icons like in CAD programs.
5.2- Add name for polyline.
6. About text (all texts): I wish to have for all the same options like are already for labels (furniture & rooms name, dimensions etc.).

Anyway You've make a great job all the time.
Many Thanks and stay healthy applause .
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Feb 2, 2021, 8:28:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks Dorin for your encouraging feedback.

I'm reluctant to jump to Java 3D 1.7 because Jogamp team decided to rename all the Java packages it contains. Changing package names in Sweet Home 3D wouldn't be difficult, but it also means that all plugins should be updated too. As I don't think that Java 3D 1.7 brings anything special that doesn't exist in Java 3D 1.6.1, I prefer to wait.

There are still enough users under Windows XP and Linux 32 bits to continue delivering Sweet Home 3D updates for them too, and I'm not the kind of developer who pushes users to upgrade their system or computer.
One of the issue to provide Java 1.8 and not a more recent version with Sweet Home 3D is that you can't benefit of recent updates in Java, like a better support of HiDPI screens, even if users can still run the JAR executable version with the Java version of their choice.
To avoid the installer to grow too much under Windows, another idea could be to bundle in Sweet Home 3D installer Java 1.8 for 32 bit version and Java 11 or 15 for 64 bit version.
Under Linux, I might still bundle Sweet Home 3D 32 bit and 64 bit with Java 8 for a longer time.

Could be more simple to make furniture icons like in CAD programs.
What do you mean?
[Feb 3, 2021, 2:21:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

Sorry, my fault. My English trick me.
What I want to mean are the possibility to make 2D symbols directly in SH3D, especially for bathroom furniture.
Now, when I talk to You, I realize I could make it in already specialized programs (LO Draw, Inkscape).
But the control of individual segment of polyline could be useful when You want to draw a straight one, continue with a curve one and then again a straight one ending with an arrow.
All this stupid wishes are not mandatory, so don't lose time.
About j3d and java8 is good to know how look the future.
I will start learn j3d1.6.1 for produce other useless plugins which obsesses me.
Apropos, what if You enlarge the API for Your 3D preview to control points and lines (get, count, etc).
Sorry for the vocabulary but I'm not familiar yet with specific 3D words.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Feb 3, 2021, 6:08:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
YGYL
Advanced Member

I support giving up Win XP and using newer and better engines. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Even in China, very few people use XP. And the key is that the general computer performance of WinXP is very poor. Sweet Home 3D is not enough to run medium-sized projects

No one's using XP anymore on the new computer
[Feb 7, 2021, 7:29:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Here's the version 6.5 Beta 2 for Windows (78.4 MB) which is bundled with Zulu OpenJDK 15.0.2 when installed under a 64 bit architecture, and bundled with Oracle JRE 1.8.0_202 when installed under a 32 bit architecture. From Zulu team, OpenJDK 15.0.2 can run from Windows Vista and Server 2008.
Keeping Oracle JRE 1.8 for 32 bit architecture will allow Sweet Home 3D to run under Windows XP and other legacy systems only able to work with old versions of Java 3D. It prevents also the Windows installer from growing too much.

Please, test this new version and give your feedback before I release the final version 6.5.

No one's using XP anymore on the new computer
Yes, but many people don't necessary change their old computer when they are not obliged to. Hope that providing OpenJDK 15 with Sweet Home 3D 64 bit will satisfy you though.
[Feb 8, 2021, 5:59:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
reddy.shyam

Hi Emmanuel,

Good day! Before anything, I have congratulate you for this amazing application which helps one build their dream house virtually. :)

Coming back to the topic, Beta2 is working very smoothly, may be because of OpenJDK 15. Beta1 was very sluggish and I had to go back to v6.4

Thanks for this release.

If it helps, I am on Windows 10 Pro 64bit 20H2.
[Feb 9, 2021, 5:03:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The version 6.5 Beta 3 for Windows (78.4 MB) fixes a scale issue for HiDPI screens when the user right clicks in the 3D view to select the object under the mouse cursor.
[Feb 9, 2021, 4:38:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
reddy.shyam

Hi Emmanuel,

For some reason generating a video (11k images, video durarion 8mins) runs for hours and hangs somewhere in the process. Also tried Photo-Video rendering (Video-Rendering 2.1) which summaries 8k images but doesnot even start, keeps calculating for 2+ hours.

Will test the same on v6.5 beta3 and let you know if any better.
[Feb 9, 2021, 6:21:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
reddy.shyam

Hi Emmanuel,

Video is now generated successfully which is about 1.5gig. Happy with it but just have to make sure no other application nor another java app is running. Again quality max 1 or 2. With 3, it was showing 3000 hours to process so left it there.
[Feb 10, 2021, 9:45:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved