Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9916 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: 3D Custom Models - Using Other's Parts?

Here's a new render. I had to make those 3 knobs as a model 4x actual size (to manage working with tiny objects) and then grouped the parts and scaled it proportionally down to 3/4". Next I'm making the 2 door handles the same way. Also, I scaled down a copy of the angled glass panels to 3/4" x 3" x 1/8" and inserted them into the glass panels to represent the recess where you grab to slid the glass doors open. I'm going a little detail crazy LOL.

----------------------------------------
Steve N Mavronis - Retired PC Tech
[Jan 30, 2021, 7:10:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Okay this one is finished unless I go ahead and add the small disk shaped hinges at the outside corners of the doors.

[Jan 30, 2021, 8:58:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Sorry I just had to add the door hinges. All done now. ;)

[Jan 30, 2021, 9:55:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Very nice !
For your information, you can also build a plank with a complex shape by drawing a room at upper level (to ensure it has two faces), that you export to OBJ format then reimport as a piece of furniture.
These export / reimport steps can even be simplified with the Copy as new furniture plug-in and a simple paste + a rotation around an horizontal axis if needed.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 30, 2021, 10:54:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Very neat Steve, well done. As Puybaret says, rooms work well either drawn on their own or within walls, these enable easier curves. I use them a lot. As you can see here
[Jan 31, 2021, 3:39:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Yes, I’ve wondered about using floors as object shapes. I’ve done that to re-shape and modify floors by adding and/or removing points. Walls you can split which is somewhat limited. What’s cool though about walls/floors is when you have to overlap your textures are seamless as an OBJ. If you mix walls and blocks that have to overlap you get an ugly shimmering texture effect like a double exposure. Floors will be great for making flat irregular shapes like furniture panels. I used the 3D shape tool so far, sometimes the orientation of the XYZ axis messes with my head and need to double-check the 3D preview. I think the numbered trapezoidal polygon would be better illustrated as a simple cube. I’m making the matching hutch furniture now. I still used a wall for the curved front edge and another wall for the rest of the shelf frame. But I will try a floor to make the compound side panels on each end instead of patching 3 blocks together to avoid having to mess with texture alignment offsets between them. Using walls/floors is a much cleaner approach. Thanks guys.
[Jan 31, 2021, 5:06:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

I just made the irregular shaped hutch side panels using the floor technique and that saves a tremendous amount of time and effort! I made the upper floor thickness the same as my panel to be exported. The first try that worked but noticed a ceiling 8 feet higher during the import process, LOL. So I went back and made the upper floor's ceiling the same height as my panel and it worked perfectly and precise!
[Jan 31, 2021, 6:44:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

once you have layed out your room, modify by un-checking the boxes for ceiling and area
[Jan 31, 2021, 7:30:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Well here's what the finished "Hutch" companion furniture looks like as a 3D model. I spoke to my dad because I thought it was my grandparents, but my mom and dad purchased both of them in 1957 when they got married and moved into what became my childhood home. Later when they got a new dining room set, they gave it to my grandparents. When me and my wife got married in 1987 we inherited them as a housewarming gift. What comes around goes around, LOL.

Anyway, I'm interested in donating the matching 1957 era China and Hutch retro cabinet models to the SH3D community. I'm not sure how to package the OBJ/MTL/JPEG files and give to you guys if you want them.
[Jan 31, 2021, 9:45:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved