Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4563 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
sweethomebugme

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Licensing woes

I absolutely love Sweet Home 3D and I am forever indebted to the creative genius behind it. One thing, however, is driving me crazy:

As a layperson, I find it almost impossible to figure out if (and under which conditions) I am allowed to post a rendering of my house online.

If I'm using only the 92 furniture models that come with the free version, things are easy: From a helpful forum post I understand that I can freely post images that use only "default" furniture, though a shoutout to Sweet Home 3D would be appreciated. The post reads '''I designed all the GNU GPL models included by default in the software (they are tagged with "eTeks" as creator)'''. This is also helpfully stated on the 3D models page ("The 92 following 3D models are [..] available under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license or under GNU General Public License at your choice").

Whether this also applies to the "default" textures I do not know, though I would guess so?

Then, once I go beyond the "default" furniture library, however, it becomes almost impossible to keep track of things...

I figured out that, in the list of furniture in my plan, I can show a column listing the "creator" of this piece of furniture. If all I ever imported is furniture using a Creative Commons or Free Art license, this is very helpful as (after manually noting every name appearing in the column and inputting the name in my post) it helps me fulfill the requirement of listing all creators. This being a manual process, however, it is error-prone - and I did not find a way of automating the process of creating this list of all contributors.

Things get even more confusing if I ever imported furniture that uses other licenses. This seemingly requires me to manually keep a list of which furniture is offered under which license(s). I have not found a way of listing, after opening a plan, what licenses its furniture can be used under. All I can find is the names of their creators.

What I am asking is: does any or all of such features exist (e.g., in the form of "click to copy a list of all creators of used furniture to the clipboard" and/or "click to see the SPDX identifiers of all licenses of used furniture")? If not, I hope this can be considered for a future version of Sweet Home 3D.
[Jan 27, 2021, 1:17:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Licensing woes

Thanks for summarizing the current way of managing credits in Sweet Home 3D.
Maybe I should have added a license information too when I added the ability to enter the Creator information in Sweet Home 3D. But you could also enter yourself any information in the Creator field.

Programming a plug-in or adding a feature listing all the creators once should be quite easy.
You can also export the list of furniture and filtering the creator column in a spreadsheet application.

Whether this also applies to the "default" textures I do not know, though I would guess so?
Yes, the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license or under GNU General Public License apply to the "default" textures too.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 19, 2021, 11:32:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved