Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 21
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12518 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
3D Ceiling Fan (Lighting)

I'm modeling my house and although there is a similar fan design in SH3D it does not have a light option built-in. I can't seem to add lights around it without making the globe look black in areas. Is there a free model compatible with SH3D of a ceiling fan similar to this that lights? If not a globe light fan, a separate cluster of lights might be acceptable but I prefer a 4-bladed fan. I've been looking all over the place.

Or any tips for properly lighting the stock SH3D fan without looking fake would be appreciated. I wish it's ball was translucent so I could put a single light inside.

----------------------------------------
Steve N Mavronis - Retired PC Tech
[Jan 18, 2021, 3:35:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK
Re: 3D Ceiling Fan (Lighting)

Something like this

fan and lamps are from sh3d library
File here
[Jan 18, 2021, 9:20:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SeppoV12

Finland

Quick and dirty solution:
- make ceiling fan ball material (CeilingFan6900_4_4) invisible
- replace ball with transparent ball (same place and dimensions)

Transparent balls can be found from SketcUp 3D Warehouse and they seem to be problematic but here are one result:

My test file here:

Mike was quicker but I send this any way..

Seppo
[Jan 18, 2021, 9:26:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Thank you guys! I'll check this out. :)
[Jan 18, 2021, 9:43:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Hmm... Can't get rid of that black hole chrome ball effect and any brighter than 25% washes out the fan blades. After studying what you guys did, I simply made the fan's light globe invisible and added the SH3D pendant hanging ball with it's ceiling cable invisible. I haven't tried different renderers yet. What's the best to use?

This is to visualize our kitchen remodel to be scheduled soon, but I'm working on modeling my whole townhouse.
[Jan 19, 2021, 2:07:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SeppoV12

Finland

Yafaray is my favourite render, usually it handles lighting better but is also slower in some cases.
I still have problems with that same 'black hole chrome ball effect', I try something new.
[Jan 19, 2021, 3:27:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

As explained in this thread, you could try to set illum to 0 for the material CeilingFan6900_4_4 in the MTL file of the fan that you use.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 19, 2021, 3:51:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

I read parts of that thread about using illum=0 although with an exported ball pendant lamp and Kd 1.0 1.0 1.0 for white in the MTL. I get this effect at least with a white-ish light ball in the "original" pendant ball lamp. I got this result but now that I'm re-reading Puybaret's suggesting again I should go back and export the fan model itself! What I did was easy but too many steps and no glow effect. Let me test this again your way since I misread it slightly. ;)

[Jan 20, 2021, 11:21:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Oh before I forget how to I set the Global illumination path? Is that a separate plug-in?
[Jan 20, 2021, 11:22:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Editing the MTL file of the exported ceiling fan directly gave me this undesired result - only downward lighting. I'm not sure what the other default parameters are in the CeilingFan6900_4_4 section:

newmtl CeilingFan6900_4_4
illum 0
Ka 1.0 0.964706 0.815686
Kd 1.0 1.0 1.0
Ks 1.0 1.0 1.0
Ns 128.0

[Jan 21, 2021, 12:06:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved