Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10830 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Door Frames

I'm looking for more door frames to import or create myself as OBJ. I'm interested in how this rounded door frame is created. It appears to have no edge dimension, which is great for my house room openings. How is that done? Can I make one within SH3d?

I need to make some that have no edges but act as an opening between rooms. No service hatch please. That creates a floor rim that I can't texture. I want to make a slightly arched room opening (like my illustration below) and a rectangular one too.

----------------------------------------
Steve N Mavronis - Retired PC Tech
[Jan 12, 2021, 3:05:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Door Frames

The two images show door frames that will not work, because the underside is open. Once you insert them in a wall, the wall will fill the frame. You need a connection between the two "feet" to close the frames. Make the connection as narrow as you like.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 12, 2021, 10:31:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Those 2 door frames are stock SH3D models. When I insert them at floor level into walls they do make holes. Try it yourself. That’s why I’m curious.
[Jan 12, 2021, 10:44:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Those two very same open ended door frames are used here in my project between living room/dining room and dining room/kitchen.

[Jan 12, 2021, 11:42:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

If you want the shape seen in your image, draw its contour with thin walls in a new document, rounding the wall matching the top part, and set the color of the both sides of the bottom part with a different color.
Then select the 4 walls, choose File > Export to OBJ format menu item and the option Export selection when prompted.
Once the OBJ file is exported, import it with the Furniture > Import furniture menu item. During the second step of the import wizard, rotate the shape to get the round part at top, and during the third step, select the Door or window option.
Place the imported shape on a wall and finally, change the material of the bottom part to make it transparent. You'll get the result in the attached file.

You could also read this guide which explains how to define the cutout of a door.
Attachment ArchFrame.sh3d (75126 bytes) (Download count: 145) (Arch frame built from a shape drawn with thin walls)

Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 13, 2021, 12:05:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Ah, thanks for that info. I was wondering how thin the walls are in the stock Round Frame. The illusion seems almost planar. I see no edges against the adjacent wall surfaces which I like. I'll check out your attached SH3D file later today.
[Jan 13, 2021, 12:35:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

I tried what you said, made my arched doorway as a 4-sided OBJ with all the inner sides white (like in my real house) and the bottom inner threshold side red. I imported it into my SH3D project, it cut the wall hole to that exact shape, and I edited it's materials to change the red threshold side to invisible. Worked like a charm! I also bring my adjacent room floor edge so both floors meet having the same hardwood floor texture and it's seamless. I didn't even have to mess with the Furniture Library Editor! Thanks so much. :)

That exercise bike? Don't ask, LOL.
[Jan 13, 2021, 8:16:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Maybe I spoke to soon. While the transparent threshold door frame looks good while editing, when I rendered it you can see some ghosting of the bottom doorway frames on the floors. Maybe I will have to use the Furniture Library Editor after all. The rectangle doorway into the kitchen should be easy, the the slight arched doorway into the living room will be tricky fining the curve percentage and radius figures...

[Jan 13, 2021, 10:50:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

I fixed the rectangular opening using the Furniture Library Editor using a 3-sided doorway OBJ so no floor glitch with that. Next I have to calculate the SVG parameters for the slight arched doorway or settle with the stock (upside-down U shaped) rounded doorway.

[Jan 14, 2021, 1:25:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Based on the hand drawn wall measurements is this possible to make a custom SVG formula? By the way, I remeasured last night and the arch begins 4.25” from the top, not 4”. When I made that years ago I was thinking of covering it up with fluted framing and it wasn’t as accurate as I thought. Anyway with the SVG parameters to cut out a wall hole with a 3-sided arch opening, would it do sharp corners or a rounded ellipse? I’m not sure how to define my shape.
[Jan 14, 2021, 10:44:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved