Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17400 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
DerekvG

Belgium
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
SH3D on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

I have resinstalled 2 PC's with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
the first thing i installed was SH3D because I want to avoid any issues

on My Desktop it works fine.

done the same on my laptop and SH3D doesn't start from the terminal it says command not found while i'm in the folder
HOW can I diagnose what is going on, what info do you need
[Oct 28, 2020, 4:00:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DerekvG

Belgium
Re: SH3D on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

On my laptop installed SH3D as per download page i.e. extracted files to / and maintained the directory structure of the archive
- checked permissions for executable and behaviour = run software
=> doubleclicking Sweethome3D run software starts but the nothing happens
=> for terminal : cd to SH3D directory then SweetHome3D results in command not found

java version :
openjdk version "11.0.9" 2020-10-20
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.9+11-Ubuntu-0ubuntu1.20.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.9+11-Ubuntu-0ubuntu1.20.04, mixed mode, sharing)
[Oct 28, 2020, 4:31:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

What was your exact command to run it from the terminal? You know, you have to start the command with "./"? So the command you have to type in is "./SweetHome3D" (wihtout "").
----------------------------------------
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Oct 28, 2020, 5:46:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DerekvG

Belgium

indeed that works but

Gtk-Message: 19:20:31.218: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

The iconspace in the launcher is empty/blank and it says "com-eteks-sweethome3d-SweetHome3D"

starting from Nautilus is still not resolved

created a desktop file as
[Oct 28, 2020, 6:40:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

Why do you wanna start it from nautilus???
Pascal

[Oct 28, 2020, 8:51:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DerekvG

Belgium

I don't want to start it from terminal because the terminal window stays open. Further more it is not listed in the Application selector

I prefer starting it from Nautilus because I know it works, whereas whan I start if from terminal things go wrong and work gets lost. ( I have been working like that since feb/march of this year whan I reinstalled and had the same problem and instability over and over again.
Moreover I can save the launcher instance to luncher favourites and i can restart it from the launcher bar

The Bundle in the distro is out of date 5.x( if i'm not mistaken) it's not even worth to install

BTW =============
on my last start in Terminal following errors showed up
... ~/SweetHome3D-6.4.2$ ./SweetHome3D
Gtk-Message: 11:28:55.194: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Exception in thread "pool-8-thread-1" java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.swing.ImportedTextureWizardStepsPanel$19.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
[Oct 29, 2020, 12:37:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DerekvG

Belgium

this is my .desktop file (on both machines disk config, mount points and directory structure are identical)

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Sweet Home 3D 6.4.2
GenericName=Interior 2D design application with 3D preview
GenericName[de]=Innenraumplaner
Comment=Interior design Java application for quickly choosing and placing furniture on a house 2D plan drawn by the end-user with a 3D preview
Exec=/home/derek/SweetHome3D-6.4.2/SweetHome3D
Icon=SweetHome3DIcon
StartupNotify=true
StartupWMClass=com-eteks-sweethome3d-SweetHome3D
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Graphics;2DGraphics;3DGraphics;
Keywords=interior;design;2D;3D;home;house;furniture;java;
[Oct 29, 2020, 12:56:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

Not sure if it helps, but try to edit the "Path" and the "Exec" line in your .desktop file like this:

Path=/home/derek/SweetHome3D-6.4.2
Exec="/home/derek/SweetHome3D-6.4.2/SweetHome3D" %U

And then save this .desktop file in

"/home/derek/.local/share/applications"

SweetHome3D will now appear in your applications.
You're right, starting from the terminal is not an acceptable option. But you could even start a software from the terminal with a .desktop with the corect exec line.
Pascal

[Oct 29, 2020, 4:12:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DerekvG

Belgium

Got it to work from Nautilus

I edited the .desktop in /usr/share/applications
and corrected the path to /home/derek (replaced the capitals)

I changed the properties of the file , and in permissions switched off the executable flag and open with text editor.

In Nautilus : Preferences -> Behavior -> Executable Text Files to Ask what to do.

Stopped Nautilus , and rebooted Ubuntu , started Nautilus

In Nautilus : Preferences -> Behavior -> Executable Text Files to Run executable.
I changed the properties of the file , and switched ON the executable flag of SweetHome3D and open with Run software.

and it starts and i could append it to favorites (dock)
[Oct 29, 2020, 9:24:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

WOW! I tried to help you, and now you showed me how to do it! NICE!
Next time you do not have to reboot Ubuntu, you only quit Nautilus from the terminal with "nautilus -q". And then start Nautilus from where you do it normally.
Pascal

[Oct 29, 2020, 10:10:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved