Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2406 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
bounce

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Create walls vs Create rooms?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but may I know what's the difference between Create walls and Create rooms? What's the usage of rooms, is it only for adding the floor color? Because I see walls are enough for creating a 2D floor plan.

Regards
[Aug 24, 2020, 8:27:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Create walls vs Create rooms?

Quickly said, you're right. But some users prefer also to use the Create rooms tool before creating walls because walls are measured from their middle point.
See also the video How to design rooms from their inner dimensions.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Aug 24, 2020, 7:26:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
schweik

Well, the problem is: while creating the walls from room, the result keeps the room space, but if changing the wall thickness I cannot tell, which part of the wall have to keep its position. Example: room 300x300 [cm], default wall thickness 50 [cm]. I want to build next neighbor room and the middle wall need to be narrowed to 20 [cm]. If I do that, the wall escape from the room border by 15 [cm].
Look at the OpenOffice (LibreOffice) Draw: you can set one of 9 base-points to be kept its position while mooving it or changing its size! (as you can see it on the hint-youtube no.:v=j03z8Evcqu4).
I'm begging you to add this feature as a big improvement for basic operations with objects. Yes, I can compute it by hand and set it manually, but than the question is why to use computer?

Thanks
[Aug 11, 2023, 8:45:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Everybody has their own preferences of how they construct a house in SH3D.

Based on more than a bit of experience, I prefer the following:
- draw walls with mouse
- use Modify Walls to correct X,Y coordinates, wall thickness and wall height
- insert doors and windows
- insert rooms

If you have to make changes to walls, doors or windows, there is (as of version 7.2) the function to Recompute room points . VERY useful. This solves your room problem, if I understand your problem correctly.

Comparing Draw with SH3D is comparing apples and eggs, in my humble opinion.

H

PS - please, don't send me private messages for questions you ask here....
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Aug 11, 2023, 9:59:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
schweik

If there is anything clever, as the Adobe Illustrator, OOo Draw, and other program really are, any smart programmer can profit by getting good idea from them.
In your more experienced proceeding, you omitted the fact, that some houses have various wall thickness (inner, outer). While your advice:
"- use use Modify Walls to correct X,Y coordinates, wall thickness and wall height"
applies the same parameters to all.

Planning the platform is done in 2D, hence I do not see so many differences by comparing Illustrator and Draw with basic work in SH3D.
My feature wish can be formulated for example by following words:
It could be very helpful to build fix binding between object - something like: "lock/unlock" this object to that object by keeping the coordinates of this point and that point to the same value.

Who wants, looks for the way, Who don't want, looks for arguments.

J.

P.S. You'd better to compare Apples and Dells in the digital word.
P.P.S. I did send you my opinion as private message [moderated]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Aug 12, 2023, 9:38:04 PM]
[Aug 12, 2023, 1:25:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

"- use use Modify Walls to correct X,Y coordinates, wall thickness and wall height"
applies the same parameters to all.
They don't apply to all, only to the selected wall(s). That way it's easy to create walls with different thickness and/or height.
[Aug 12, 2023, 1:35:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
schweik

Well you agree, the wall keeps its lengthwise axis. You say: you can set wall thickness for each wall individually, (and than manually recompute the correct positions to room) - waw! that's wonderful feature! I said: why do I need to recompute anything manually while using computer? Please, look around and you can see how easy can be set the binding/relation between objects. Yes, I did not watch thousands lines of SH3d source code, hence I cannot judge how easy/difficult could be to implement my idea. What I can say now: this feature could be very useful for everybody, and for some people it may be the most important. Example: If you prepare reconstruction of any existing house, you definitely must keep its original dimensions. Even if you try to use SH3d for planning furniture you have to keep the existing room (even it may be less important how thick walls it has). As a good joke can be seen the advice to use quite new function "Recompute room points" available in SH3d v.7.2 while 7.1 can be downloaded only.

Conclusion: I remember the beginning of 2d/3d drawings programs. May be they had not so many features, but they were "user friendly" in the right way, because the programmers were usually coming from the graphic design profession. They knew very deeply what they did with pencil and ruler. They built their programs with respect to those knowledge. They also knew a useful portion of mathematics and they included into their programs tools for compute much more then an area.

If you try to continue tell me that I have the wrong ground angle, and that the only proper way is recompute and reposition anything (e.g. walls) manually within computer program, spare your time. I'm not a naked newbie in the word of computers, design, neither programming.

J.

[moderated]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Aug 19, 2023, 5:37:57 PM]
[Aug 19, 2023, 4:55:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved