Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2429 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Plutarch

Australia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Putting skylights in a flat roof | Cutting holes in cubes | Merging walls across levels

Hi all

This is my second topic post after discovering SH3D. Having a good time so far.

Having designed my first building, I have 3 how-to questions I'd greatly appreciate help with:

1. How do I put skylights in my roof/ceiling, such that they act as the window structures they are intended to be? Whether I use the top-level floor method for creating my flat roof, or a big flat 'cube', obviously the skylights do not create actual holes in the structure.

2. I often need to make custom joinery by changing and arranging cubes. How do I cut one shape out of another? i.e. If I have two plank-like shapes that I've created from cubes, how do I minus one from the other, leaving a hole/cut-out?

3. In my first post, I was shown how to create two lofts at different elevations, which was great. But it involved staggering a few different elevations, such that walls are like Jenga pieces in places now. This is an issue if, say, I need to apply a cladding texture to the exterior of the structure. I have to apply it to multiple staggered walls parts that compose the same wall face, so seamless textures do not work - it looks like a patchwork. Is there anyway either merge the vertical wallface in 3D in order to apply one consistent texture, or perhaps overlay a shape? I suppose an extreme solution would be to create a .1cm outer wall around the entire structure to act as a veneer, and add service hatches everywhere there is a hole. But that would be very messy.

If anyone has the time to help me out with these objectives, I'd be set! Much appreciated.
[Jul 5, 2020, 6:15:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Putting skylights in a flat roof | Cutting holes in cubes | Merging walls across levels

1 - Import your window(s), rotate it to horizontal and mark it as a staircase during the importation process. If you insert it at the correct height, it will cut a hole in the floor/ceiling. Only works with square/rectangular windows.
1a - Alternatively, insert the windows in a wall, then export/import the wall and rotate it. This has the advantage that you can use any shape of window.
2 - You can't do this in SH3D, use other software. Remember: SH3D is 2D software that creates a 3D image.
2a - Alternatively, create your model from different parts and export/import it to use it as a homemade model.
3 - Draw your walls to the correct height. Create the levels needed as in the "first" process. Insert floors/ceilings on the levels where they are needed. If you need the walls to guide you during the creation of rooms, make your rooms on a differnt level, then copy them to the correct level.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jul 5, 2020, 8:47:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Plutarch

Australia
Re: Putting skylights in a flat roof | Cutting holes in cubes | Merging walls across levels

Thank you very much.

One last quick question: Can I do sliding doors that slide inside a wall cavity when they are slid open?

Thanks again.
[Jul 6, 2020, 3:39:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Yes, forum member Oka made some, a few years ago. There called "pocket doors".
Search the models on Sourceforge.
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jul 6, 2020, 4:37:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved