Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4920 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
bruce111

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
import 3d model

hallo !
I import model .obj ( a plant) but is gray
also there is a folder texture with 5 file
I'm not able to use it…
Someone can help me?
thanks
[Jun 6, 2020, 11:09:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: import 3d model

If there's no MTL file with your OBJ file, there won't be any color.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jun 6, 2020, 7:15:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Your images might be in the wrong format.

SH3D can only load .jpg .png and .gif
If your files are in any other format (which is often the case with 3D objects you buy or download for free), you need to convert them before they can be imported to SH3D.
There are some free online converters that will do this for you.
[Jun 7, 2020, 12:58:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GhyslainB

@Ceciliabr That's interesting, I've been wondering for a while why some textures don't import with .obj files, and now I know! Can you recommend some specific software to do these conversions? I'm not sure what to search for.

On a related note, I also have trouble with .3ds files downloaded from the internet not importing textures, even with .png and .jpg texture files. I've read that you have to zip everything in one file, which I've tried, but it still doesn't work. Any tricks on how to make it work?

Thanks so much!
[Jan 25, 2021, 2:21:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Zipping imported files with their textures is required only for the Mac App Store version.

You may convert with any image handling program, like Gimp bit even tools of your system are generally enough.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 25, 2021, 9:03:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GhyslainB

Thanks Emmanuel for the clarification.

I've now found an online converter for .tga and .dds files (I couldn't open them in Photoshop, apparently) and I managed to import some .obj files that had long resisted me!

I'm still stuck with a few .3ds downloaded from free repositories. I see the .3ds and the textures, but no .mtl file; is it missing and therefore it's a hopeless cause? I'll give you a specific example with this fireplace: https://open3dmodel.com/3d-models/fireplace-3d-model-43_4902.html

As always, thanks a lot for the help!
[Jan 26, 2021, 2:52:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved