Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 35
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 83707 times and has 34 replies Next Thread
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Sweet Home 3D 6.3

Hi,

Here's a beta version of Sweet Home 3D 6.3.

This version brings the following new features:
- It's now possible to reorder the selected items in the furniture list with a drag-and-drop, when the list is not ordered under a criterion. It's also possible to drag and drop selected furniture out of a group or within a group.

- Some temporary dimension lines are now displayed along walls when you resize them.

- Some temporary dimension lines are also displayed while drawing or modifying a room, showing the length of the two sides starting from the edited point plus the diagonal to the previous point. This should allow to more easily draw rooms using triangulation.

- It's now possible to enter math expressions in editable plan tooltips.

- The maximum scale was increased in the plan, and now 1 pixel can be as small as 1 mm.

- The 3D view proposes the new Select object item in its contextual menu to let you select the object under the cursor where you right clicked in the 3D view. When you press the Shift key, this menu item becomes Toggle selection and will toggle the selected state of the object under the cursor. Right clicking on a window pane will select the object behind the pane, so you'll be able to select a window in the 3D view only if you click on its frame.

- Importing some 3D models which are made of repeated small parts like some trees found on 3D Warehouse (like this edge or this bonsai) will alter Sweet Home 3D performances much less.
By the way, note that all 3D models at Collada format were recently regenerated with edges on 3D Warehouse. Even if these edges can be hidden afterwards in Sweet Home 3D, I wonder why such a decision was made. Showing our opinion could maybe make SketchUp / Trimble people change their mind.

Among the fixed bugs, the management of maximized windows after reopening a file was improved under macOS, computing issues on 3D polylines with very large coordinates and some blocking bug for walls with a null side length were fixed.

I have some doubts about the reordering feature, because I fear that some users may think that sometimes, it doesn't work whereas they didn't pay attention if the list is ordered or not.
I also wonder if I should check some kind of minimal length to display the temporary dimension lines for rooms, because when the displayed lengths are small, the plan is quickly overcrowded with lines.

Finally, I included the version 2.4.0 RC 20200202 of JOGL in this Beta version of Sweet Home 3D, wondering if it could fix some 3D issues like the corrupted display that have been reported more often during the past months. If it's not the case, I might not release the final version 6.3 with JOGL 2.4.0 because it's still in development (it may still take a few months before the final version of JOGL 2.4.0 is released).
Using JOGL 2.4.0 should also allow Sweet Home 3D to run with Java versions > 8 under macOS, but I'm not sure that supporting more recent Java versions is so important in a close future.

I hope you'll like this new version and as always, your feedback will be much appreciated smile

[Note from developer: Sweet Home 3D 6.3 was released on April 15, 2020]
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Puybaret at Apr 15, 2020, 11:06:38 PM]
[Apr 7, 2020, 7:36:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa
Re: Sweet Home 3D 6.3

Hi Manu,

For a first contact, it's ok for me at this time !

wink
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Apr 8, 2020, 7:12:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gildaniel
Advanced Member

Russia

Emmanuel, thank you for new features!

Selection on 3D is very nice feature to correct objects when there is a lot of furniture on one vertical

It was nice if one can enter exact dimensions/expression while editing wall or room. Now it's possible to enter only when room or wall is creating.

"I also wonder if I should check some kind of minimal length to display the temporary dimension lines for rooms, because when the displayed lengths are small, the plan is quickly overcrowded with lines."
As for me it's not a problem because they are display zoom sensetive. Very nice feature could be to make this dimensions (with the same font size they shown) permanent by clicking some button.

Much more annying now that handmade dimensions of any objects are always standard font/arrow size, so one should press complicated combinations ctrl+shift+K and ctrl+shift+alt+K many many many times on each dimension to make in readable on plane. If they (and squares) were font size like temporary (display zoom sensetive) - it would be much faster to work

[Apr 8, 2020, 7:19:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ndorigatti

Italia

hi, i can't find time to test it deeply, but the feature of drag and dropping items in and out of groups is a life saver for me! please do not remove, at least set as default disabled in option!
[Apr 8, 2020, 7:58:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel,

Thanks for this new version.
As fas as possible, I tested the new features and they all work (windows 10).

Temporary dimension lines
This is useful, You might consider making their appearance depending on the amount of zoom to avoid crowding the screen.

Select object in 3D
In potential very useful. But...
When selecting an object this way, the object should be "activated" so that it can be moved with the cursor keys. Now you still have to select the object in the 2D window, which cancels the usefulness of the new selection feature.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Apr 8, 2020, 12:00:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

I'm glad to see a new version!

- It's now possible to reorder the selected items in the furniture list with a drag-and-drop, when the list is not ordered under a criterion.

It's a missing feature from start.
We don't have an option to revert the "sort by" to default order.
That's mean the insert order.
IMHO this new very useful feature could(must) work in this scenario:
- You've sort furniture for different needs;
- Reset the sort criteria;
- Modify the order with this new feature AND
- This became the last object insert order.
After this You could make new sort and could reverse to last order.

- Some temporary dimension lines are now displayed along walls when you resize them.

At this moment I don't have a clear opinion. I'ts good.

- The 3D view proposes the new Select object item in its contextual menu...

It's great to select objects in 3D view especially when are on vertical axis.
I've not tested whit all You indicate options BUT
I have some pipes and other plumbing stuff inside walls.
I've set the visibility of walls to minimum to see the pipes.
When I try to select object the wall is selected and not the furniture.
IMHO it's a very useful feature which could be improved.

- Importing some 3D models ... with edges

Usually are useless BUT
In some cases could be useful ONLY if I could decide which and where to be displayed.
The most common example is staircase and steps.
In 3D view look ok but in 2D view are indistinguishable. Few edges are welcome in this case.
I've start work to a plug-in for this but it's a very long way.

I have some doubts about the reordering feature, because I fear that some users may think that sometimes, it doesn't work whereas they didn't pay attention if the list is ordered or not.

Don't worry! Always will be this kind of users BUT with some help all's OK.
Anyway THANKS FOR YOUR WORK!
God keep You Safe and healthy because I need You hugs !!!
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Apr 8, 2020, 1:12:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
YGYL
Advanced Member

shock Re: Sweet Home 3D 6.3

Emmanuel,

Select object in 3D
When selecting an object this way, the object should be "activated" so that it can be moved with the cursor keys. Now you still have to select the object in the 2D window, which cancels the usefulness of the new selection feature.

Hans

Press TAB 5 times to switch windows
[Apr 9, 2020, 3:45:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
YGYL
Advanced Member

rose Re: Sweet Home 3D 6.3

- Importing some 3D models which are made of repeated small parts like some trees found on 3D Warehouse (like this edge or this bonsai) will alter Sweet Home 3D performances much less.

t was hundreds of times faster. This is the best improvement in recent years!!!!!!!!!!!
[Apr 9, 2020, 3:58:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
YGYL
Advanced Member

applause Re: Sweet Home 3D 6.3

- The 3D view proposes the new Select object item in its contextual menu to let you select the object under the cursor where you right clicked in the 3D view. When you press the Shift key, this menu item becomes Toggle selection and will toggle the selected state of the object under the cursor. Right clicking on a window pane will select the object behind the pane, so you'll be able to select a window in the 3D view only if you click on its frame.

It is best to set it to double-click with the left mouse button to automatically select this object and jump to the floor plan window. Otherwise, many people will not know or use this function
[Apr 9, 2020, 4:01:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Many thanks for your feedback smile
You seem to like the reordering feature in the furniture list, so I'll keep it.

Here's the version 6.3 Beta 3.

It brings two small changes:
- from Dorin's suggestion, I made walls and rooms undetectable by Select object contextual menu as soon as walls transparency isn't fully opaque in the 3D view modification pane.
- I replaced the version 2.4.0 RC 20200202 of JOGL by the version used in previous versions of Sweet Home 3D, because it didn't seem to solve the corrupted display bug. This Beta 3 tests another solution because this bug seems to be bound to tool tips, but I'm not sure it will work (it's difficult for a developer to fix a bug that he can't experience himself!)

@Gildaniel, thanks for your suggestions about the default text size of dimension lines, except that the two images you showed over-exaggerate the problem. In a future version, I could try to compute a different text size according to the place it will occupy along the line, propose a default size in the preferences or add a modification pane for selected dimension lines. But as these dimension lines are permanent and printed, I can't change their size according to the current zoom factor like for temporary dimensions, otherwise this would break WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You get) in the plan view.
In case you didn't know, note that the Enlarge / Decrease size menu items will affect all the dimension lines and other texts selected in the plan, so you can select more than one line to change its text size at the same time.

Temporary dimension lines
This is useful, You might consider making their appearance depending on the amount of zoom to avoid crowding the screen.
That's what I had in mind. I could also not display them if the number of the dimension line becomes invisible at screen because of the zoom factor.

Select object in 3D
Arrows are used to change the point of view at the moment. If you want them to act differently, this would imply to introduce some kind of modification mode in the 3D view, and I'm very reluctant to program that.
As YGYL suggested, you should press a few time the Tab key to give the focus to the plan view, or even faster press Alt + Tab keys to go directly to the plan view (they are even listed in this article about shortcuts).

We don't have an option to revert the "sort by" to default order.
There are two options to revert to the natural order in which objects were added: select again the sort criterion column in the Sort by menu or more simply, click again on the header of the column (first click on a column header sorts the furniture list according to the column in ascending order, second click in descending order and third click removes sorting).

Happy Easter to you all!

[Updated wrong links on 4/13/2020]
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Puybaret at Apr 15, 2020, 11:07:12 PM]
[Apr 10, 2020, 3:38:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved