Print at May 16, 2022, 1:16:43 PM
Posted by Puybaret at Aug 29, 2019, 12:41:27 AM
YafaRay rendering plug-in
Hi,

I'm happy to present you the YafaRay Rendering plug-in able to render images with Yafaray engine, thanks to the new Tools > Create photo with YafaRay menu item (see the end of this message for download links).

After the rendering engines performance test made last year, YafaRay library looked like a good candidate to improve the rendering speed at two best quality levels in Sweet Home 3D.
Thus, this plug-in mostly replaces SunFlow engine by YafaRay engine, reusing the same features and look as the existing Create photo dialog box at the moment (both dialog boxes even share the same parameters).
It's able to run under Windows 32 / 64 bit, macOS 64 bit and Linux 32 / 64 bit. Spherical lens was missing in the version 1.0. You'll probably notice also that, compared to SunFlow, the default sky produces a slightly bluer color when a sky texture is not used.

From my tests, this new rendering engine runs twice faster. Not as much faster as the performance test let me hoped, but it's still a good improvement.
From a developer point of view, this plug-in is very close to the existing photo creation tool, with its YafarayPhotoPanel and YafarayRenderer classes close to the PhotoPanel and PhotoRenderer existing classes. This should allow developers (enkonyito?) who know these classes to improve this plug-in if they want, and me to factorize some code in a future version. Parameters available in YafaRay can be quite easily guessed from the XML examples provided in YafaRay downloads. Avoid to touch the native YafarayRenderer.cpp file used as a bridge to YafaRay if you don't know JNI (Java Native Interface), but it shouldn't be necessary.

I'm looking forward to read your feedback about this plug-in smile

Many thanks to David Bluecame from YafaRay team for his help to fix some issues.

Download links for YafaRay Rendering plug-in:
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.4.5 (17 MB) was released on 02/25/2022 to fix crashes which happened with DAE models specifying only transparent color
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.4.4 (17 MB) was released on 03/13/2021 to fix shadow lines appearing on flat surfaces, some memory leaks and to support rendering with Sweet Home 3D available in Mac App Store
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.4.3 (17 MB) was released on 01/17/2021 to fix light rays that could appear at ceiling borders
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.4.2 (17 MB) was released on 01/13/2021 to support also Mac OS X 10.9, 10.11 and 10.12
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.4.1 (17 MB) was released on 01/12/2021 with Mac ARM Silicon support
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.4 (16 MB) was released on 11/25/2020 to include YafaRay 3.5.1 and fix crashes under Windows
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.3.2 (21 MB) was released on 7/29/2020 to fix a launch issue on some macOS configurations
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.3.1 (21 MB) was released on 7/22/2020 to fix a launch issue on some macOS configurations
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.3 (21 MB) was released on 6/6/2020 with better handling of low memory issues
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.2 (21 MB) was released on 5/18/2020 with fisheye lens projection fixed and faster rendering launch delay
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.1 (24 MB) was released on 5/8/2020 with additional support for spherical lens
YafaRay Rendering plug-in 1.0 (24 MB) was released on 31/01/2020 after a beta test of a few months
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer

Posted by waleedfahmy at Aug 29, 2019, 12:52:44 AM
Re: YafaRay rendering plug-in
Thank you Puybaret for great effort ,
downloading and going to try :)

Posted by waleedfahmy at Aug 29, 2019, 5:51:03 AM
SH3d crashes when I try to render using this plugin , ordinary rendering and photo-video rendering plug-ins are working ok .
my system is windows10 64 bit , processor intel core-I5 @1.7 GHz , 4GB ram ,Intel HD Graphics 4400

Posted by Ceciliabr at Aug 29, 2019, 9:35:05 AM
I might be doing something wrong, but it seems the YafaRay does not work properly on a Mac 6.1 running OS High Sierra.

Pressing the Create-button, it just changes colour for a second. Nothing else happens.

Cecilia

Posted by GnU at Aug 29, 2019, 10:55:21 AM
The same for me:

SH3d crashes when I try to render using this plugin, ordinary rendering and photo-video rendering plug-ins are working ok. My system is Windows10 64 bit, Ryzen 1700, 16GB ram, RX580

Posted by ndorigatti at Aug 29, 2019, 11:21:43 AM
@Ceciliabr: Here works on a MacBook Pro 13 (2017, the one with usb-c) with Mojave

It seems also quite fast.

@Pubayet
I made a test with PVR 1.7 (SweetHome 6.2) Q4 (ambient occlusion)
And one with YafaRay plugin

PVR 1.7
:

YafaRay Plugin
:

I like a lot how Yafaray light goes to the "left" side of the picture, it is really close to what happens in real life, and ambient light is very nice.
On the other side lights allaround seem way better with enkyo plugin, I don't know if it depends with the usage of PVR light panels or it is something other.
In top right the cube light is very nice with enkyo plugin, but behaves bad on YafaRay.

It's very exciting as a new plugin and maybe enkyo can make a PVR-YafaRay plugin that is fast and nice!!!

Posted by hansmex at Aug 29, 2019, 2:20:22 PM
Great idea!! Thank you very much.

Unfortunately the plug-in crashes on every file I tried.
- - System: Windows Pro 10 64 bits, SH3D 6.2 with 8 GB memory allowance

I'm happy t o report that under Ubuntu the plugin rune just fine.
- - System: Ubuntu 18.04 64 bits, SH3D 6.2 with 2 GB memory allowance (installed from app store)

Does anyone know how I can change the memory allowance under Ubuntu?

Hans
Dual boot - AMD FX6300 6-core, 16GB ram
Windows 10 Pro, SH3D 6.2 with 8 GB memory allowance
Ubuntu 18.04, SH3D 6.2 with 2 GB memory allowance

Posted by bdfd at Aug 29, 2019, 5:52:16 PM
angry   Re: YafaRay rendering plug-in
Hi,

Even on my new PC, this plug-in crashes down sh3d software ???

Sh3D disappears when I execute the plug-in… biggrin :
in Q3 or Q4,
with old or new file !
=> except in Q1 and Q2. confused

Not ready yet for everybody. crying
SH3D 6.6 and nothing else - W11 64b
Core i9-9900KF (4.0 GHz), RAM 32 Go DDR4 3 Ghz, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8Go

Posted by UbuntuBirdy at Aug 29, 2019, 6:19:07 PM
PVR 1.7

PVR 1.8 Beta

YafaRay

Not what I expected, but yes, it's fast!
...and it safes some serious disk space... laughing
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x

Posted by Puybaret at Aug 29, 2019, 7:32:00 PM
Many thanks for your feedback, even if I hoped it would work better under Windows after all the energy I spent on resolving issues. On my side, the plug-in works with the installer of the free version of Sweet Home 3D under Windows 10, but not with the JAR executable version, the Microsoft Store version or under Windows 8.1. I fear that I pushed too far the ability to load DLLs on the fly under that system. I'll study possible other solutions.
Anyway, I fixed the issue encountered by Cecilia (just a missing DLLs for older macOS versions) and released a Beta 2 available here.

About images posted by UbuntuBirdy and ndorigatti, I'm happy you succeeded to run the plug-in but comparing your results with the ones generated with enkonyito plug-in isn't really fair, since I just tried to adjust YafaRay settings to reproduce images generated by the default Photo creation tool of Sweet Home 3D! But surely, even on that side, there must be some remaining bugs.

To Windows users, could you check if the program fails even with an empty home or some available from the File > New from demo menu item? Thanks smile

Posted by UbuntuBirdy at Aug 29, 2019, 9:05:55 PM
@Emmanuel - My pictures are absolutely no criticism to the plugin! In fact I'm happy to have it, even it does not work as expected. But it tells me SH3D is evolving and this is great!
I had to present PVR pictures to show the missing ambient on the YafaRay rendering. I only want to show how it turns out on my system and perhaps to help you (or enko) to find bugs or missing or wrong settings or what else it can be.
I'm so thankful for your work and I have a big smile in my face because you released this plugin, even if my trailer now has to proof its winter abilities...
Pascal

Posted by hansmex at Aug 29, 2019, 10:37:25 PM
@Emmanuel

Following your suggestion, I drew a simple room, with textured floor and walls, and two human figures.
As before, SH3D crashed a few seconds after starting YafaRay.

H

Posted by Ceciliabr at Aug 30, 2019, 1:38:00 AM
I fixed the issue encountered by Cecilia (just a missing DLLs for older macOS versions)

Thank you! It works now.

From my tests, this new rendering engine runs twice faster.

I created a this project from scratch - a small construct with no panel lights, only 40 Mb.
A comparative test (for speed check):

The bottom line is that Sunflow performs a lot faster.

I also recorded a short screen movie to show the difference.
http://ceciliabr.com/sh3d/YafaTest.mov

In the video, you can see that YafaRay is using 17 seconds to prepare the rendering process, as the default renderer is using only 9 seconds. With a larger file ( 1.4 GB) it was still preparing when I stopped it after 5 minutes.

I know we are on beta-level, and that there's still lots of work to be done – and from looking at the quality renders in the YafaRay gallery, I think YafaRay can be a very good alternative smile

Cec

Posted by ndorigatti at Aug 30, 2019, 8:14:35 AM

About images posted by UbuntuBirdy and ndorigatti, I'm happy you succeeded to run the plug-in but comparing your results with the ones generated with enkonyito plug-in isn't really fair, since I just tried to adjust YafaRay settings to reproduce images generated by the default Photo creation tool of Sweet Home 3D! But surely, even on that side, there must be some remaining bugs.

Please let me remark that mine was not a complain or criticism, I know how much work has been done to just make YafaRay render, so I really respect the work!
I was just showing a comparation of the lights, because I think YafaRay does something way better than sunflow (PVR or not, in general), but that (probably) with some effort like the one enkonyito put on to sunflow yafaray can perform at top levels!

It takes time, effort, test and feedback to reach that level but I think it can be reached! Although it's released and works, it is stil a beta so bugs and issues are normal, and we are here to help!
I'll try changing my scenes and using different lightning to check if I can have perfect renderings!

In the meantime, congratulations for the reached goal, and thank you!

Posted by GnU at Aug 30, 2019, 11:06:23 AM
I can make the photo if I choose the first and the seconds levels of quality but if I choose the third or the fouth the program shut down without showing any error.

Posted by Puybaret at Aug 30, 2019, 6:18:53 PM
@UbuntuBirdy and ndorigatti, thanks for your encouraging comments. My previous comment was also written to avoid confusion for users not aware of PVR plug-in. So no problem. There’s a little ambient occlusion in virtual visit mode when a texture is used for the sky, like with SunFlow rendering in default creation tool. Otherwise everything in the sun shade would be too dark.
My first goal is to try to reproduce current SunFlow renderings with YafaRay (possibly without the defects ;-), then we’ll see how the settings of both rendering engines should evolve after all these years.

@Cec, YafaRay engine is slower than SunFlow during preparation process because it requires to copy texture images in separate files whereas I had modified SunFlow to make it able to load images directly from ZIP files (like SH3D, SH3T or SH3F files) without copying them in temporary files. Therefore, the more textures you have and the larger images you use, the more time it will take to copy them during the preparation. You should rather see a speed gain when you render larger images.
By the way, thanks for the video, but unfortunately running both rendering engines at the same time can’t be used to compare their performances because they try to use all the available cores / threads of the computer, and it’s not possible to give them the an equal slice of CPU power.

@Hans, thanks again for your tests. I hope I’ll be able to find soon a solution at least under Windows.

@GnU, the two lowest quality levels work exactly as in the default photo creation tool, i.e. they use OpenGL and fortunately still work.

Posted by enkonyito at Aug 30, 2019, 8:46:08 PM
In the last few months, I have been working on implementing the maximum functionality of Sunflow in Sweet Home 3D before it is considered obsolete.
According to Yafaray's documentation, it seems this rendering engine has nothing to envy Sunflow. It will take some time to tame it but the first step would be to establish a basic configuration for general use equivalent to Sunflow.

To Windows users, could you check if the program fails even with an empty home or some available from the File > New from demo menu item? Thanks
Tests of version 1.0beta2.
- Quality 3 or 4:
After clicking Create, the waiting image spins a few seconds and then SH3D closes automatically for an empty file (not systematic).
The rendering runs correctly for demo files or saved projects like those in the gallery.

Yafaray quality 3 is faster than Sunflow while Yafaray quality 4 is a bit slower than Sunflow.

Demo_1BedroomAppartment

Enko
not available

Posted by hansmex at Aug 30, 2019, 9:15:49 PM
Under Windows
After reading Enko's message, I tried two homes from the gallery. In both cases the program stops after a little thingy spins for a few seconds.

Under Ubuntu
I did some speed tests with example home #7 from the Gallery.
For all pictures: size 1200x900 pixels

YafaRay - Q3 - approx 2-3 minutes
YafaRay - Q4 - approx 13-14 minutes

SH3D Sunflow - Q3 - approx 4 minutes
SH3D Sunflow - Q4 - aborted after 35 minutes

SH3D Sunflow is the original implementation, not one of Enko's plug-ins.
For some reason I forgot to save the rendered images, so I cant offer quality comparisons.

Hans

Posted by Ceciliabr at Aug 31, 2019, 11:17:40 PM
I have done some more testing on YafaRay today.
On some projects it really outperforms Sunflow when it comes to render time, on other projects it's way behind.
It's a bit like going back to the stone-age with the non-resizable render window, especially since YafaRay treats light very differently from Sunflow, and I had to do a lot of quick Q3 renderings to get the light right. And, as Puybaret points out:
YafaRay engine is slower than SunFlow during preparation process because it requires to copy texture images in separate files whereas I had modified SunFlow to make it able to load images directly from ZIP files (like SH3D, SH3T or SH3F files) without copying them in temporary files.

That's one reason why YafaRay performs slower on most of my test projects.

running both rendering engines at the same time can’t be used to compare their performances

Well,I don't quite buy that argument, looking at the head start I was giving YafaRay.
Anyway, I have made a new video, en suite, with a stop watch and a CPU-monitor running:

YafaRay-Test-2

Maybe this can be the reason why YafaRay is slower than Sunflow?

YafaRay is not using more than 32% of my CPU capacity, whereas Sunflow is using 98%.

Just out of curiosity: Why go for another CPU-renderer and not a CPU/GPU-renderer?

Cec

Posted by Mike53 at Sep 1, 2019, 12:53:06 AM
Thought i would give this a try.

Ver. 1.6, set to gloss, all other settings default

and with Yafaray

3 x it crashed when it started the render, 1 it crashed when it completed the render but before it could be saved.
Windows 7 64 bit

Posted by bdfd at Sep 1, 2019, 6:22:21 AM
Hi,

Here are my own tests using cec's project.

1. standard rendering
2. enkonyito's Ver. 1.8 beta2
3. Yafaray's ver 2

No crash for me in this yafaray's second version !

wink

Posted by hansmex at Sep 1, 2019, 8:58:07 AM
Test on Demo home #7
A further test under Ubuntu shows that YafaRay uses only one (1) core during the preparation of the rendering (approx 35 seconds).
Once that is done, it uses all 6 cores of my computer for the full 100% during the actual rendering (13-14 minutes).

Test on Cecilia's test file
Testing Cecilia's file, I decided to do a Q1 test run to see if I had the same image as in the other tests. YafaRay behaves VERY STRANGE and shows me a more or less random part of the room in close-up, not the center of the room where the virtual visitor is looking at. Q2 gives the same result.

In Q3 and Q4 YafaRay is lightning fast and delivers an image within one minute.
Interestingly, the processor usage during the preparation phase can be very different when you do two consecutive renders of the same image.

H

Posted by Mike53 at Sep 1, 2019, 5:27:48 PM
found ver. 2

sad

Posted by enkonyito at Sep 1, 2019, 7:17:43 PM
Now, SH3D crashes at every rendering whatever the scene. (Windows 10 64-bit)

I imported the source code of the plug-in into Eclipse (Projects from Folder or Archive) and added the necessary libraries except for the import javax.jnlp .
I found that SH3D crashes when accessing the createMaterial, createBackground, createTexture, and createLight functions.
not available

Posted by Puybaret at Sep 2, 2019, 12:02:58 AM
I found tonight how to make the plug-in work under Windows with its version 1.0 Beta 3 (running Sweet Home 3D either with the Jar executable, or with the free and paid installer versions).
Actually, I had to rebuild Yafaray with the latest version of MSYS2, and use more recent versions of the DLLs it depends on. I'll try the same rebuild under Linux in the coming days.

YafaRay is not using more than 32% of my CPU capacity, whereas Sunflow is using 98%.
It's strange, it's not what I see on my iMac, where YafaRay and SunFlow use as much CPU power as possible. I wonder where it could come from...

Just out of curiosity: Why go for another CPU-renderer and not a CPU/GPU-renderer?
There are not so much open source candidates that could be tested. From last year study, YafaRay seemed a better candidate even if OSPRay which uses the GPU too seemed interesting too.

Posted by Ceciliabr at Sep 2, 2019, 9:03:25 AM
There are not so much open source candidates that could be tested

Did you consider/test this one :
https://www.cycles-renderer.org/about/

Cec

Posted by hansmex at Sep 2, 2019, 11:35:11 AM
@Emmanuel
Congratulations!! Beta 3 now works under Windows 10, 64 bits (on my computer).
In Q1 and Q2, I get the expected image, contrary to what happened under Ubuntu with beta 1.
In Q3 and Q4, I also get the expected image, and about as fast as under Ubuntu.

Under Ubuntu nothing has changed as far as I can see.

H

Posted by Puybaret at Sep 2, 2019, 9:47:39 PM
Did you consider/test this one :
https://www.cycles-renderer.org/about/
Cycles was part of the last year study, but its performances didn't seem better than SunFlow.

Posted by enkonyito at Sep 2, 2019, 11:38:27 PM
Test version 1.0 Beta 3
Instability bug on Windows 10 64-bit fixed!

By varying the size of the tiles, the YafaRay rendering is quite stable.

For the same size of tile/bucket, YafaRay is a little faster than Sunflow.

not available

Posted by Mike53 at Sep 3, 2019, 12:26:52 AM
I have to say i think having a cpu based renderer as an option might serve users better. I don't usually comment on computer based topics, as i know little of what black magic and wizardry that goes on inside the black box attached via an umbilical to my screen, so if i have this wrong, well, i'm not surprised.
Not all pc's are game based, which have more powerful, better quality graphics cards, with better gpu's than standard pc's which are more work horse orientated and therefore are biased towards more grunt from the cpu. It may well be that different computers give different results/improvement by using the render engine better suited to individual systems.
I totally understand that Emmanuel/Enkonyito cannot be expected to test all types of pc configuration, but, that's what we are here for :).
Mike

Posted by GnU at Sep 3, 2019, 1:33:39 PM
Test version 1.0 Beta 3
Instability bug on Windows 10 64-bit fixed!

By varying the size of the tiles, the YafaRay rendering is quite stable.

The beta 3 fix the crashes, you are right. Congratulations!

Posted by Ceciliabr at Sep 3, 2019, 9:07:06 PM
@enkonyito

Any comment about the file size and quality of the rendered files?

C

Posted by hansmex at Sep 4, 2019, 9:52:43 AM
A few further comparisons.

Image 1 = Demo house #7 from the gallery
- Renders made under Ubuntu 18.04, SH3D v6.2 with 2 GB of memory
- Image size 1200x900 pixels
- The screenshot is made with three renders next to each other, zoomed in to approx 240%

L - Enko v1.8 - filesize 2.2 MB - 4:50 min - note the speckling
M - Yafa v1.3 - filesize 1.8 MB - 2:19 min - best image?
R - SH3D v6.2 - filesize 1.8 MB - 4:06 min - shiny table top

Image 1 = Demo room from Cecilia
- Renders made under Ubuntu 18.04, SH3D v6.2 with 2 GB of memory
- Image size 1200x900 pixels
- The screenshot is made with three renders next to each other, zoomed in to approx 240%

L - Enko v1.8 - filesize 2.1 MB - 0:31 min - good image
M - Yafa v1.3 - filesize 2.0 MB - 0:27 min - ugly chair textures, best windows
R - SH3D v6.2 - filesize 1.8 MB - 0:27 min - best image?

For Enko's plugin standard settings were used.

Hans

Posted by enkonyito at Sep 5, 2019, 1:47:21 AM
@Ceciliabr
Any comment about the file size and quality of the rendered files?

This is a test file (SimpleRoom.sh3d) created by Puybaret.
I modified this one by moving the virtual visitor to see the whole room and used levels as a layer to choose between an empty room or furnished.
Quality 4 of YafaRay is different from Sunflow because each rendering engine has its own specificities.

This may not be very telling, but Emmanuel's feat is to have re-used the SH3D source files made for Sunflow to integrate YafaRay and keep the same presentation of the photo panel.

Some editable basic settings might be accessible through a future option of this plug-in or a new plug-in.

Enko
not available

Posted by Ceciliabr at Sep 5, 2019, 7:25:46 PM
@hansmex

For Enko's plugin standard settings were used.
Which accounts for the fireflies ( speckles) on the Demo House rendering.

Since you are comparing quality, here are some OK settings for rendering this type of scene with PVR:

The beauty (and strength) of Enko’s plugin “Advanced settings of photo rendering” , is that we can tweak it to give us the best result for any type of scene.

M - Yafa v1.3 - filesize 2.0 MB - 0:27 min - ugly chair textures, best windows

The “ugly chair textures” is on me.
YafaRay is probably a bit more sensitive than Sunflow, and I have been sloppy and not bothered to split quads and set the texture coordinates properly.I have fixed that , and YafaRay now renders the chairs perfectly fine.

I have made some new renderings, now using the beta-3 version of YafaRay.
The speed has increased.
YafaRay seems to be loading projects a lot faster now than with the beta-1 version that I used for my last test.

YafaRay - 2560 x 1350 - 1 minute 11 seconds.

Sunflow default - with advanced settings - 2560 x 1350 - 2 mins 11 seconds.

Sunflow PVR - optimized - 2560 x 1350 - 3 mins 57 seconds. Absolutely best quality.

YafaRay , as it is now, is absolutely faster than high quality rendering with Sunflow,
but I have a feeling that bringing YafaRay up to speed on the quality, we might see there is not much difference in rending time.

Cec

Posted by hansmex at Sep 5, 2019, 9:57:09 PM
@Cecilia @Enko (and all others)

The tests I did, were done to test YafaRay and compare it to the other two options available, not to comment on the quality of the test files.

Seen the fact, that in two options we cannot change parameters, I decided to use Enko's plugin "as is". Second reason for doing so, is that (apart from you and Enko) probably nobody really knows which settings to use to get better-than-standard results. Moreover, probably (almost) nobody knows that in different situations different settings should be used.

99% of all users of SH3D want the program to run out of the box. That includes me. Unless someone writes a clear user manual on best settings for different situations, Enko's plugin is best tested in the way most people use it. At least, that's my point of view.

That said, I'm very interested in this new development. I have been wondering about the continued use of Sunflow, if only because I know that development of Sunflow has stopped long ago, which at some stage may hamper the development of SH3D.
I have been using, and still use, this software for ten years now (almost), and have been trying to make my small contribution in that time.
Enko's plugin is very valuable for everybody who wants to get the best renders. No doubt about it.
The YafaRay plugin may be equally important for the future, although it may take a while before it's as good as Enko's plugin.

Meanwhile, as always, I thank you, Enko, Emmanuel and many others for the continued support and development of this great software,

Hans

PS - If I can help doing more testing, just tell me what and how :-)

Posted by Ceciliabr at Sep 6, 2019, 10:29:47 AM
99% of all users of SH3D want the program to run out of the box. (...) Enko's plugin is best tested in the way most people use it. At least, that's my point of view.
Well, it does work "out of the box", but the whole point with using PVR is to tweak it.
In addition to Enkonyito's own example renderings, there are several postings on the forum showing how members are using the plug-in. One of these examples is the one I posted in my comment to you.

But with 840 views and 36 comments so far, this thread is obviously not catching the 99% of the users that in your opinion prefers "out-of-the-box" as their favourite setting. With some 80.000 downloads this week alone, that should leave 800 potential users who at some point might develop an interest in acquiring knowledge about how to produce the best rendering of their creations.

The way see it, the purpose of posting our tests here is giving valuable feedback to Puybaret (and Enko?) on how YafaRay handles a variety of challenges that no programmers have the time to test themselves.
The main purpose of a photo-renderer is to produce a photo-realistic image.
Since YafaRay is supposed to be faster than Sunflow, my opinion is that the best way to test this is to compare the three options by looking at differences in speed compared to differences in quality.

Cec

Posted by bdfd at Sep 6, 2019, 3:16:55 PM
confused   Re: YafaRay rendering plug-in
Hi,

Here is my return about the use of yafaray's plugin.
I notice 3 same problems on background with 3 différents projects (red Arrow).
A part of the background has no rendering ? biggrin

Always in the same corner with Q3.

All is ok in Q4.

crying

Posted by enkonyito at Sep 6, 2019, 4:17:22 PM
From a developer point of view, this plug-in is very close to the existing photo creation tool, with its YafarayPhotoPanel and YafarayRenderer classes close to the PhotoPanel and PhotoRenderer existing classes. This should allow developers (enkonyito?) who know these classes to improve this plug-in if they want, and me to factorize some code in a future version.

What do you think to add a rendering engine selection button (Sunflow, YafaRay) to the standard photo panel as in this old plug-in ?

not available

Posted by hansmex at Sep 6, 2019, 4:29:46 PM
That would be an excellent idea!!

Posted by bdfd at Sep 6, 2019, 5:44:24 PM
I'm agree with Hans ! applause

Posted by enkonyito at Sep 7, 2019, 8:10:25 PM
YafaRay also has options to enhance external brightness.

not available

Posted by Mike53 at Sep 7, 2019, 10:12:59 PM
I like the softness of the shadows in ibl true, the sky and reflections in the glass also look better in the ibl randers, is it ibl Or background or can they be combined?

Further test to compare sun and yar, here are 2 images of a pool with a wall and windows reflected, there is quite a bit of difference in the way the reflections have turned out.

Sunflow all default settings

An Yarafray

Posted by enkonyito at Sep 21, 2019, 4:32:58 AM
@Mike53
I like the softness of the shadows in ibl true, the sky and reflections in the glass also look better in the ibl randers, is it ibl Or background or can they be combined?
It is either the sky color or the sky texture.

It is possible to implement the path tracing lighting method.

not available

Posted by enkonyito at Sep 23, 2019, 11:49:05 PM
Some suggestions for the next version (1.0 Beta 4):
- use a YafarayRenderer.properties file to modify rendering parameters such as for SunflowRender.properties
- include an example xml scene using arealights or visible spherelights because their implementation is problematic
- make tile borders visible to see the number of rendering threads

Enko
not available

Posted by Ceciliabr at Sep 25, 2019, 8:00:19 PM
Is it the more advanced ray-tracing in Sunflow that makes it perform slower than YafaRay in your test?

Posted by enkonyito at Sep 25, 2019, 9:40:29 PM
@Ceciliabr
Is it the more advanced ray-tracing in Sunflow that makes it perform slower than YafaRay in your test?

YafaRay is primarily optimized to work with Blender but offers a lot of nice features as shown here.
The purpose of my contribution to this new plug-in is to help find general settings for a rendering approaching or equivalent to that of Sunflow. Duration is an additional indication.

To return to your question, it is the YafaRay "Path Tracing" global illumination settings that make a similar rendering (regardless of shininess) faster than Sunflow.

I hope that Puybaret will be more successful than me in the implementation of area lights or caustic photons which are also important features.
not available

Posted by Ceciliabr at Sep 26, 2019, 7:36:39 PM
YafaRay is primarily optimized to work with Blender but offers a lot of nice features as shown here
Cool! But will all these features be available?
Sunflow also offers lots of features, but they are not all available from SH3D.

I have been browsing the YafaRay forum , and it seems they are addressing much of the same issues that we do with Sunflow. Long rendering time is one of them, when rendering complex scenes.

In every one of the many tests I have made, YafaRay has delivered noticeably inferior quality compared to the optimized Sunflow renders in Q4.
So an extensive adjustment panel for Yafa would be much appreciated. Some of the images shown at the YafaRay forum are really outstanding.

Cec

Posted by enkonyito at Nov 22, 2019, 1:14:35 AM
@Puybaret
Avoid to touch the native YafarayRenderer.cpp file used as a bridge to YafaRay if you don't know JNI (Java Native Interface), but it shouldn't be necessary.

After generating the YafarayRenderer.h file, modifying the YafarayRenderer.cpp file, adding the include and lib folders, rendering returns the error
Exception in thread "pool-7-thread-1" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: betaTestPlugin.YafarayRenderer.createEnvironment(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)J
at betaTestPlugin.YafarayRenderer.createEnvironment(Native Method)

The YafarayRenderer.class file is located in the bin/betaTestPlugin project folder.

What is the best way to use the YafaRay rendering engine in another plugin (derived version)?
not available

Posted by jjocsak at Nov 23, 2019, 5:46:17 PM
After I installed the plugin I noticed it's grayed out and cannot be selected.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Jeff

Posted by MichaelN at Nov 24, 2019, 9:43:26 AM
I just tried these plugin but it generates only complete grey pictures. Have I to do more than copying the file in the plugin folder?

Posted by Puybaret at Nov 25, 2019, 11:30:44 AM
enkonyito, did you export and load all the YafaRay DLLs required for the plug-in, like in the loadDLLs method I programmed in YafarayRenderer class?

jjocsak, the current version of the plug-in can work only in 64 bit. Maybe you installed Sweet Home 3D in 32 bit? If it's the case, just relaunch the installer and select the 64 bit architecture in the screen that allows to choose the installation folder. Of course, this will be possible only if your system is 64 bit.

MichaelN, did you try with some other files, or maybe the demos?

Posted by MichaelN at Nov 25, 2019, 4:45:07 PM
I tried it with my own file, not with the demo file.
I now tried an aother position, which works fine. Than I go again back to my kitchen - other view than before - and SH3D crashes without any message. It just disappears from the desktop.

Posted by jjocsak at Nov 25, 2019, 5:29:49 PM
64 bit install solved the problem, thanks.

Posted by enkonyito at Nov 26, 2019, 11:20:08 PM
enkonyito, did you export and load all the YafaRay DLLs required for the plug-in, like in the loadDLLs method I programmed in YafarayRenderer class?

Yes, otherwise it causes the error java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError .

What would prevent access to native methods in this case (java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError ) ?
not available

Posted by Puybaret at Dec 16, 2019, 3:25:17 PM
Enkonyito, if you moved native methods to another class or package, you'll have to generate new .h and .cpp files and compile source code to update libyafarayjni.dll. Did you succeed to generate such a DLL?

Posted by enkonyito at Dec 16, 2019, 11:14:46 PM
Enkonyito, if you moved native methods to another class or package, you'll have to generate new .h and .cpp files and compile source code to update libyafarayjni.dll. Did you succeed to generate such a DLL?
As this solution (#2) works, I have not retested since.

I had failed to generate the DLLs in a custom package (betaTestPlugin) when trying to follow this method:
// To generate JNI DLL for Windows, read "YafaRay Windows 10 MinGW 64bit building - Standalone.txt" in Core-3.3.0\building (no need to install Python and stop after installing LIBRARY DEPENDENCIES)
// Run C:\mingw64\mingw64-shell.exe and use the following command (/C/Program Files/Java/jdk1.8.0_121 contains JDK)
// plugin project folder> g++.exe -D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 -I"/C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_201\include" -I"/C/Program Files/Java/jdk1.8.0_201/include/win32" -Isrc/betaTestPlugin/include/yafaray -Isrc/betaTestPlugin/include/other -I/C/msys64/mingw64/include src/betaTestPlugin/YafarayRenderer.cpp -shared -o src/betaTestPlugin/lib/windows/x64/libyafarayjni.dll -Lsrc/betaTestPlugin/lib/windows/x64 -llibyafaray_v3_core

not available

Posted by enkonyito at Jan 1, 2020, 8:51:21 PM
Some suggestions for the next version (1.0 Beta 4):
- use a YafarayRenderer.properties file to modify rendering parameters such as for SunflowRender.properties
- include an example xml scene using arealights or visible spherelights because their implementation is problematic
- make tile borders visible to see the number of rendering threads

Enko

Feedback on the light panels.

* When I choose,
params.put("type", "arealight");
// Uses the YafaRay coordinate system (X-right, Y-back, Z-up)
// vertex0 = (0% lightWidth, 0% lightDepth, 0% lightHeight)
// vertex1 = (100% lightWidth, 0% lightDepth, 0% lightHeight)
// vertex2 = (100% lightWidth, 0% lightDepth, 100% lightHeight)
// vertex3 = (0% lightWidth, 0% lightDepth, 100% lightHeight)
Point3f vertex0Location = new Point3f(0.0f - 0.5f, 0.0f - 0.5f, 0.5f - 0.0f);
Point3f vertex1Location = new Point3f(1.0f - 0.5f, 0.0f - 0.5f, 0.5f - 0.0f);
Point3f vertex3Location = new Point3f(0.0f - 0.5f, 0.0f - 0.5f, 0.5f - 1.0f);
lightTransform.transform(vertex0Location);
lightTransform.transform(vertex1Location);
lightTransform.transform(vertex3Location);
Point3f corner = new Point3f(vertex0Location.getX(), -vertex0Location.getZ(), vertex0Location.getY());
Point3f point1 = new Point3f(vertex1Location.getX(), -vertex1Location.getZ(), vertex1Location.getY());
Point3f point2 = new Point3f(vertex3Location.getX(), -vertex3Location.getZ(), vertex3Location.getY());
params.put("corner", corner);
params.put("point1", point1);
params.put("point2", point2);
params.put("color", new float [] {
((lightColor >> 16) & 0xFF) * ((this.homeLightColor >> 16) & 0xFF),
((lightColor >> 8) & 0xFF) * ((this.homeLightColor >> 8) & 0xFF),
(lightColor & 0xFF) * (this.homeLightColor & 0xFF), 1});
params.put("power", power * 100);
params.put("samples", 4);
createLight(UUID.randomUUID().toString(), params);
no light is emitted.

* When I choose,
params.put("type", "meshlight");
params.put("double_sided", false);
params.put("light_enabled", true);
params.put("power", power * 100);
Sweet Home 3D automatically closes every time without an error message in Eclipse.
not available

Posted by Puybaret at Jan 12, 2020, 1:56:47 PM
Hi,

For various reasons, I wanted to be able to recompile YafaRay DLLs. I succeeded to achieve this task without big problems under Windows and Linux thanks to the instructions given in YafaRay source code, but I had much more difficulties to make it work under macOS!
Finally, I was able to generate new DLLs based on a slightly modified version of the current source code (to fix an issue on normals management) and I'm happy to propose a version 1.0 Beta 4.
This new version is much smaller (13 MB instead of 46 MB) and should work under more systems.

enkonyito, before I investigate your problem, could you try again with this new version fist?

Happy New Year 2020 to everyone smile

Posted by enkonyito at Jan 13, 2020, 3:46:08 PM
With the YafaRay Blender-Exporter, I was able to find examples of XML scenes using different types of light.

enkonyito, before I investigate your problem, could you try again with this new version fist?
With this version 1.0 Beta 4, the following three problems occur again.

1. No light emitted for arealight.
Example of implementation.
params.put("type", "arealight");
Point3f corner = new Point3f(-100, -100, 100);
Point3f point1 = new Point3f(-100, 100, 100);
Point3f point2 = new Point3f(100, -100, 100);
params.put("corner", corner);
params.put("point1", point1);
params.put("point2", point2);
params.put("from", new float [] {0, 0, 100});
params.put("power", power);
I think it's related to line 84 of the arealight.cc file even for double sided panels.

2. Identifier not taken into account for spherelight and arealight.
To make the sphere or area lights visible, add
params.put("object", id);
returns the error "Invalid object ID given!".
How to find this identifier after the creation of the object (mesh)?

3. SH3D crash for meshlight.
Example of implementation.
params.put("type", "meshlight");
params.put("double_sided", false);
params.put("light_enabled", true);
params.put("object", 1);
params.put("power", power);

These portions of code are implemented in the exportLightSource method of the YafarayRenderer class.
not available

Posted by UbuntuBirdy at Jan 13, 2020, 7:32:14 PM
Still not what I expected, but it's getting better (Beta 4):

Screenshot of the 3D-view:

Pascal

Posted by Puybaret at Jan 14, 2020, 6:44:08 PM
Thank you all for your feedback smile

Tonight, the version 1.0 Beta 5 of the plug-in now shows borders around rendered tiles and brings a bug fix that could give weird results with lines (UbuntuBirdy, I hope it will resolve your issue). I also removed double faces to avoid bad results shown on the chairs in Cecilia's test file.

Enkonyito, I made some tests about area and mesh lights, and you can use some working code found in the comments of YafarayRenderer constructor.
In the source code you posted, corner, point1 and point2 must be arrays of 3 floats not Point3f instances (by the way, from parameter isn't used).
You should also take care of the orientation of the triangle built from corner, point1 and point2 (if ever it's wrongly oriented, just swap corner and point1).

About mesh lights, you have to provide the integer id of the mesh used as a light in a parameter named object. This id is returned by startTriMesh method so you'll have to store the ids of the meshes used as lights somewhere.
Good luck! smile

Posted by hansmex at Jan 15, 2020, 1:04:59 PM
After updating my plugins, I did a few test renders. Some results were as expected, others were shocking.

Too many large images, so look here for the comparison between standard SH3D render, Enko's plugin v1.8, and the YafaRay plugin v1b5.

http://www.hansdirkse.info/sh3d/

Posted by UbuntuBirdy at Jan 15, 2020, 4:00:26 PM
... (UbuntuBirdy, I hope it will resolve your issue)...

Emmanuel, you are a genius!

Pascal

Posted by Ceciliabr at Jan 15, 2020, 9:01:02 PM
Seems the YafaRay renderer is still not completely up to speed on the CPU handling.

But I noticed little difference in speed. Maybe YafaRay was a fraction faster.

I also noticed another oddity:

This is a larger image, rendered by YafaRay:

Rendered by Sunflow:

And to make an unjust comparison; here's a rendering made with Enko's SPR v1.8:

In case you want to have a look at the terrain that YafaRay failed to render:

YafaTestTerrain.sh3d

Cec

Posted by Puybaret at Jan 16, 2020, 9:50:30 PM
Many thanks for your tests. It looks like we get closer to a working solution smile

The version 1.0 Beta 6 published today brings support for BMP, WBMP and GIF images (that will fix Cecilia's issue) and improves the cache of texture images to speed up YafaRay launch during subsequent times.

Cecilia, I tried your file and noted a similar CPU usage on my computer, even if it wasn't as low as in your case. As I wondered if it could be because of the very large images you use as textures, I created another version with much smaller images, but this gave the same results! Could you try with some files of the gallery (like the Alps hotel that you seem to like ;-), and report how rendering works with them?

Among the remaining issues, I noted that the default sky used in aerial view still gives some images a little bluer than with SunFlow. After some investigations, I didn't find any solution yet.
Before releasing a version 1.0, I shall add the support for Windows and Linux 32 bit and a Depth of field lens option. As YafaRay doesn't seem to be able to generate some equirectangular images, I fear there won't be any Spherical lens option at the moment. Any other ideas in mind?

Posted by enkonyito at Jan 23, 2020, 2:52:11 AM
Enkonyito, I made some tests about area and mesh lights, and you can use some working code found in the comments of YafarayRenderer constructor.
In the source code you posted, corner, point1 and point2 must be arrays of 3 floats not Point3f instances (by the way, from parameter isn't used).
You should also take care of the orientation of the triangle built from corner, point1 and point2 (if ever it's wrongly oriented, just swap corner and point1).

About mesh lights, you have to provide the integer id of the mesh used as a light in a parameter named object. This id is returned by startTriMesh method so you'll have to store the ids of the meshes used as lights somewhere.
Good luck! smile

Thank you Puybaret for the advice on area lights! This works for unviewable light panels.

Using
long meshLightId = startTriMesh(-1, vertices.length / 3, verticesIndices.length / 3, false, uvs != null, 0, 0);
and
params.put("object", Integer.parseInt(light.getProperty(this.INT_MESH_LIGHT_ID)));
Sweet Home 3D no longer crashes for mesh lights but the opaque light panel emits light without being luminescent.
not available

Posted by Puybaret at Jan 23, 2020, 7:59:16 PM
It's great you could find out. About the light panel color, maybe you could apply a light_mat material on the mesh (see the end of exportAppearance method)?

Posted by Ceciliabr at Jan 25, 2020, 9:47:22 PM
Could you try with some files of the gallery (like the Alps hotel that you seem to like ;-), and report how rendering works with them?

For what it’s worth:

I have made some more tests with the YafaRay renderer, using an abused version of the Alps Hotel.
The abuse was necessary because I wanted to test how YafaRay responded to lighting. Since YafaRay is not yet ( at least not in the current version) able to handle Enko’s “Other Light Sources”, I had to see what could be done without using them – only using a multitude of the original light sources – like I used to do in the “old days”.

Result: The YafaRay renderer v1.6 beta works surprisingly well.

Here are some YafaRay renderings of the abused Alps Hotelreception and front desk:

The CPU-issues from the last version are gone.
YafaRay is now using all my 24 threads, as well as 92% of my CPU-capacity, and it’s performing quite fast – almost 50% faster than Sunflow.
It’s also producing some nice results – as long as have the patience to work with my light-settings.
And that’s where my ONLY complaint lies… for now:

Checking the lights are alfa and omega.
Enko has showed that programming a resizable render window is possible.
A resizable window will fit on any screen, no matter how stone-age the computer is.
So I ask: Is there a good reason for keeping the “official” render windows of SH3D so tiny?

Why is resizable so important?
As the YafaRay renderer is handling light sources somewhat different than the Sunflow renderer, it’s of no use to test my light-settings by using Enko’s resizable renderer.
So testing the YafaRay renderer becomes a somewhat time-consuming process:
First rendering the entire scene, then saving the test image. Then opening the test image in some graphics editor, and then trying to adjust the lights and do another test render… and then repeat the same process. I must admit that my motivation failed along the way, so my test renders are not what I would have liked them to be.
I know that YafaRay can produce better results – even great results, but I don’t think that will happen until we get more options – plus a resizable rendering window, so we can monitor the effect of our light-settings a lot faster than with the current version.

The bucket size of the YafaRay renderer, is it dynamic?
I'm wondering if that's the reason why it outperforms the Sunflow renderer.

Cec

Posted by UbuntuBirdy at Jan 25, 2020, 11:41:44 PM
Why is resizable so important?
As the YafaRay renderer is handling light sources somewhat different than the Sunflow renderer, it’s of no use to test my light-settings by using Enko’s resizable renderer.
So testing the YafaRay renderer becomes a somewhat time-consuming process:
First rendering the entire scene, then saving the test image. Then opening the test image in some graphics editor, and then trying to adjust the lights and do another test render… and then repeat the same process. I must admit that my motivation failed along the way, so my test renders are not what I would have liked them to be.
I know that YafaRay can produce better results – even great results, but I don’t think that will happen until we get more options – plus a resizable rendering window, so we can monitor the effect of our light-settings a lot faster than with the current version.

Cec

You absolutely nailed it! It's nothing more but all about that point!
Pascal

Posted by Puybaret at Jan 27, 2020, 6:06:46 PM
Here's the version 1.0 Beta 7, probably the last one before I release a final version.

This version brings support for Windows 32 bit and Linux 32 bit, the reason why it's almost twice larger (24 MB) than previous Beta. From my tests, it requires at least Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16 to run. I wonder though if it's worth supporting 32 bit systems, because when a rendering runs out of memory, the program will crash and this may happen even with some examples of the gallery.

I also added the Depth of field lens (still with focus at 2.5 m) as shown in the screenshot below, and managed the silk effect of colored materials at the best quality level. I wished I could get a nicer effect, but similarly to SunFlow Uber shader, it seems to be complicated to get a good solution.

Finally, I improved the copy of 3D models into YafaRay at rendering launch, added the ability to resize the rendering dialog box and saved its location / size in properties separated from the default photo creation panel ones.

Is there a good reason for keeping the “official” render windows of SH3D so tiny?
It's mostly for aesthetic reasons, because I didn't like the space around the small group of controls at the bottom of a very large dialog box, and managing a minimum size isn't so easy. And not everybody has a large screen...

The bucket size of the YafaRay renderer, is it dynamic?
It looks like, and it's interesting at the end of a rendering because it helps to continue using all the power of the CPU.
I'm wondering if that's the reason why it outperforms the Sunflow renderer.
I don't think so.

Thanks again for helping me testing this new plug-in smile

Posted by Puybaret at Jan 31, 2020, 3:58:31 PM
I just released the final version 1.0 of the YafaRay rendering plug-in.
The final version should show some less blue images when the default sky is used in aerial view, thanks to a little more power set on the sunlight source.

Thank your all for your tests and feedback. Hope you'll enjoy this new plug-in smile

Posted by enkonyito at Feb 4, 2020, 2:32:05 AM
About the light panel color, maybe you could apply a light_mat material on the mesh (see the end of exportAppearance method)?
My first tests were inconclusive because all the objects in the scene had the 'light_mat' material.
By applying it only to opaque light sources, I get this result.

You will notice that unlike SunFlow, the YafaRay rendering engine does not take into account the light power for the "glow" effect.

I just released the final version 1.0 of the YafaRay rendering plug-in.
For a first version, this plug-in keeps its promises!
In order to finalize the integration of YafaRay with the PhotoVideoRendering plug-in, I still have to bind this rendering engine to the photo panel at points of views and the video panel.
not available

Posted by rontant at Feb 6, 2020, 2:19:35 AM
Thank you for the wonderful work! I love the speed of Yafaray.

First thing I noticed from my very first comparison test, is that the the reflection on the red cabinet surface is missing but I guess it's not a bad thing...

Yafaray rendering

Sunflow rendering

Posted by Ceciliabr at Feb 19, 2020, 7:31:42 PM
Absolutely a good version.
Unfortunately I have hurt my hand, so I haven’t been able to do the tests I wanted. (I am writing this with the wrong hand)

I have made a very fast test and gotten some unexpected results.

I wrote earlier that YafaRay outperformed Sunflow on the speed.
I no longer think that is right. I have tried the SPR(v1.9) on some older projects that are quite big and complicated, and I found that Sunflow is A LOT faster. Especially glass, mirrors and glowing surfaces seems to slow YafaRay down.

On SH3D-demo projects, YafaRay is absolutely faster, but as soon as things start to demand more of the renderer, Sunflow can be more than ten times faster. ( 6 hours compared to 29 minutes)

Have a look at this ( small) project file: Boxes.sh3d ( 49 kb).

This is basically a very simple project, containing four boxes, placed 50 cm above a mirror, everything resting upon a white backdrop ( illum 0 ).
Boxes from left to right : 1 coloured white, 2 textured with a white texture , 3 same white texture applied to each side, 4 red texture applied to each side.

The renderings:

Default YafaRay = 1 min 30 seconds ( manually timed)

SPR(v1.9) YafaRay = 2 mins 48 seconds ( plus some strange texture effects)

Spr(vi.9) Sunflow = 5 seconds (!)

I will do some more tests when my hand is working again :)

Cec

Posted by hansmex at Feb 19, 2020, 10:28:54 PM
Using Cecilia's test file, I get slightly different results.

Tests with a file I shared before, now repeated.

All tests done under Windows 10.

Based on the second test, I prefer the colours of Sunflow, but the reflections from Yafaray.
Also, it's surprising that Enko's plug-in takes 30 secs longer for the renders.

Hans

Posted by bdfd at Feb 20, 2020, 5:08:55 AM
Here are my tests with the Cecilia's file :

I didn't remark none anomaly.

Like Hans, I share his comment :
"Based on the second test, I prefer the colours of Sunflow, but the reflections from Yafaray."

wink

Posted by enkonyito at Feb 23, 2020, 5:08:31 PM
With version 1.0 of YafaRay plug-in, there is a difference in the rendering of transparent textures compared to SunFlow.

not available

Posted by Xiste at Feb 26, 2020, 1:28:33 PM
Yafaray is certainly producing some nice results, but the quality is still not at the same level as with the best settings for sunflow, especially regarding the antialiasing.
For sunflow there are some extra options so we can get better quality. Will these options be available for yafaray as well, at some point.

Posted by Xiste at Feb 26, 2020, 1:56:36 PM
BTW: I get the same results as Cec when rendering her project on Mac. No texture problems though.
On an old Windows 7 PC from 2006 everything renders in 2-3 seconds. So this might be an issue related to Mac only.
Anyone else using Mac care to do a test?

Posted by Puybaret at Feb 27, 2020, 2:57:00 PM
I noticed a similar difference on my MacBook Pro: 25 s with SunFlow rendering engine vs 70 s with YafaRay engine. Maybe it's because of some compilation options of YafaRay, but it's still weird because it depends on the rendered scene.

Enko, the shadow of transparent objects seem to be more accurate with Yafaray, but I wonder what could make the object color change... Could you share your simple scene, please?

Posted by enkonyito at Feb 28, 2020, 2:39:39 PM
Enko, the shadow of transparent objects seem to be more accurate with Yafaray, but I wonder what could make the object color change... Could you share your simple scene, please?
Emmanuel, it is mainly the color difference of transparent textures that I was referring to.
Here's the test file.
Attachment transparent texture test.sh3d (138459 bytes) (Download count: 453)

not available

Posted by Andreas1234 at Mar 4, 2020, 11:21:02 AM
This did not happen before but now I can't take images with YafaRay V1.

It used to outperform the "stock" engine but now it does not work anymore, the stock works fine, but slow.
Is there some file size limit that makes YafaRay stop working?
I was creating level 1 and added some furniture and lights then tried to do a new image and it stopped working.

My file is 187 MB normal, and ~107 compressed.

Posted by enkonyito at Mar 8, 2020, 10:38:26 PM
Emmanuel, do you plan to implement caustic photons for direct lighting in a future version?
not available

Posted by bdfd at Mar 9, 2020, 4:34:28 AM
Here is my test:

Original yarafay

Direct lighting + AO + Cphotons

SH3D yarafay

wink

Posted by Ceciliabr at Mar 10, 2020, 2:13:32 PM
I noticed a similar difference on my MacBook Pro: 25 s with SunFlow rendering engine vs 70 s with YafaRay engine. Maybe it's because of some compilation options of YafaRay, but it's still weird because it depends on the rendered scene.
I had my father try this on his PC. No problems. It renders fast and flawless in a second.
Copying the project to my Macbook, and got about the same results as you.
I have not been able to reproduce the striped texture issue.

YafaRay is using a LONG time to load and calculate larger project before it starts rendering.

I have noticed two issues:

1) When you stop a YafaRay render in progress, and immediately start a new one, SH3D is often crashing.
I haven’t experienced SH3D crashing for some years now, so I have become a bit careless with my saving procedures. Autosave at 15 mins is now checked :)

2) After adding a new object to a large project, SH3D sometimes shuts down when YafaRay starts rendering. It happens exactly when the actual rendering starts. The project is no longer possible to render with YafaRay, even after a computer restart. Removing the added object has no influence. Select all on all levels and copy to a new project solves the problem though. But of course that’s a PITA. All levels are lost.
Sunflow has no problems.
( I can send you a demo if you like)

Question: SH3D memory use is slowly increasing during work. A 1G project is eventually occupying more than 80Gb of memory. Restarting SH3D brings the memory use back down to about 8Gb. Is it the undo files or the renderer that causes this, and is there a way to reset the memory without restarting SH3D? Restarting can be a long process with big projects...

Here is my first real YafaRay test:

How much is Blender, and how much is YafaRay?

After testing YafaRay on the Alps hotel demo I was most impressed by the rendering speed.
My overall impression was that YafaRay was a good choice.
I had some trouble getting my lighting right, but the quality of the deliveries matched Sunflow quite well.
I think testing YafaRay on SH3D demo projects will give good answers for a majority of the users.

Then the YafaRay v1 was released.
before I had time to test it I hurt my hand in a freak accident, and ended up with my arm in a sling.
Unable to work, I had plenty of time to browse the web for YafaRay articles, and to have a closer look at the impressive YafaRay Gallery.
I ended up with a question in my head: “Is it Blender creating these wonderful renderings, or can the same quality be obtained from SH3D?”

Well, my hand got better – good enough to get some work done – so I started searching an answer to my question.

I have used SH3D for eight years now during which I have gathered some experience in texturing and lighting, and I have consequently developed a set of habits – habits that have speeded up my workflow and enabled me to construct and set lights on quite complicated scenes within a reasonably short time. I think I can safely say that I know a lot about what works and what doesn’t for the SH3D / Sunflow -combo.
Not so for the SH3D / YafaRay combination.

I decided to use Enko’s PVR 1.9, since I wanted to use a project that included panel lights.

Here’s an overview shot.

Original size image is HERE

I can really see how bad my rug texture is, and the whole composition is structureless and lacks depth. And the colours are all wrong.

A closer shot.

This reveals that using Trimble models from the warehouse ( the lower cabin and the drawers) is a lazy shortcut I should have learned to never turn to.
Most Trimble models are not compatible with SH3D.

Okay, so my first real test renderings were not especially successful, to put it mildly. The colours were all wrong, and the lighting looked horrible.
Surfaces that would normally look shiny, turned out completely matt.

It took some time to get under the skin of YafaRay.
The first thing I noticed was that YafaRay is quite merciless: Garbage in = Garbage out.
I started to consider my habits. What works with one renderer doesn’t necessarily work with another.
Maybe I should create something completely new, look for inspiration, and design a new project from scratch – new models, new textures.
I decided to get rid of all my old lighting habits and go back to basics:
One light source at the time: adjust intensity, adjust colours, adjust size and placement. See what works.
YafaRay treats light and colour a bit differently than Sunflow.

The Fritz-project.

Living room 1: ( Mitchel | Glossy)

Immediate observation:
YafaRay is NOT fast!
I’m more impressed with the quality than with the speed.
YafaRay returns the value of high-poly models and high-res textures a lot better than Sunflow.

Living room 2 (Gauss | Glossy)

Living room 2 another angle – different light ( Lanczos | Glossy)

The question rises again: Is it Blender, or is it YafaRay that creates the high quality images shown at the YafaRay Gallery?
So far I’m inclined to think it’s a combination.
I'm struggling with getting the light right.
Of course i realise that I’m not able to utilise the SH3D / YafaRay combo to the max after just a few days work, but I have a feeling that a lot is depending on the advanced settings and light options provided by Blender.

Here are some more images.

Dark kitchen

Kitchen - another angle.

Kitchen - breakfast

Kitchen - a close-up on different things.

I obviously have to work on my glass settings. Settings that works well with Sunflow definitely need some tweaking when YafaRay goes to work. The whisky look watered down, and my ice cubes are barely visible. And who can really spot that my meticulously constructed Dupont lighter is really a lighter at all?

For my use, YafaRay is not faster than Sunflow, sometimes quite the opposite, but it is really producing some nice images.
I will absolutely stick with YafaRay from now on.

And if Enko is reading this: The PVR 1.9 combination renderer is a perfect tool! I use the faster Sunflow option for quick previews of sunlight and shadows directions during construction (Sunflow will normally render me a preview faster than YafaRay can finish the preloading ), and then I use YafaRay for artificial lighting and final rendering.

Most of these images are rendered with in a higher resolution than can be displayed here. YafaRay’s qualities become more evident when the resolution is increased, but so does the rendering time also. Five to eight hours for 6860 px, about one hour for 3440 px. Some of these images are rendered at 2560 px.
The original full size renderings can be downloaded HERE

Comments and questions are of course welcome.

Cec

Posted by Xiste at Mar 22, 2020, 7:21:44 PM
After adding a new object to a large project, SH3D sometimes shuts down when YafaRay starts rendering

I noticed the same, and it seems to be occurring quite randomly. And once it's happened you're in stuck! No more Yafaray possible.

Love your renderings! People should see how well Yafaray is working. You should have posted them in the gallery.

Yafaray is undeniably the better renderer, but we need to get this problem fixed.

Xiste

Posted by Gian1 at Apr 14, 2020, 3:04:29 PM
Greetings. YafaRay engine doesn't start for me as the process is halted shortly after the throbber (busy circle) is displayed in the rendering window. How may I fix this?

Also, how may I carry out renderings with this engine and change rendering settings from the command prompt (i.e. in headless mode)?

Posted by enkonyito at Apr 27, 2020, 10:28:52 PM
@Puybaret
I'm happy to present you the YafaRay Rendering plug-in (version 1.0 - 24 MB) able to render images with Yafaray engine, thanks to the new Tools > Create photo with YafaRay menu item.
It's able to run under Windows 32 / 64 bit, macOS 64 bit and Linux 32 / 64 bit. Spherical lens is missing and will be hopefully implemented in a future version.

I assume that this version of the plug-in uses the source code of YafaRay v3.3.0 (2017-08-22).

As this rendering engine is constantly evolving and a new version YafaRay v3.4.1 (2020-04-08) is available, will there be a new version of the plug-in each time?
not available

Posted by enkonyito at Apr 27, 2020, 11:12:45 PM
@Ceciliabr
I ended up with a question in my head: “Is it Blender creating these wonderful renderings, or can the same quality be obtained from SH3D?”
The question rises again: Is it Blender, or is it YafaRay that creates the high quality images shown at the YafaRay Gallery?
Of course i realise that I’m not able to utilise the SH3D / YafaRay combo to the max after just a few days work, but I have a feeling that a lot is depending on the advanced settings and light options provided by Blender.

YafaRay is mainly designed to work with v2.7x versions of Blender at the moment and take full advantage of the features offered by it.
Each scene (point of view) often has a specific setting because the anti-aliasing samples are also a multiplication factor (detailed information).

And if Enko is reading this: The PVR 1.9 combination renderer is a perfect tool! I use the faster Sunflow option for quick previews of sunlight and shadows directions during construction (Sunflow will normally render me a preview faster than YafaRay can finish the preloading ), and then I use YafaRay for artificial lighting and final rendering.

Thanks for the compliment! I just contributed to the immense work provided by Emmanuel to create the YafaRay plug-in.
After further testing, I plan to increase the maximum value of the anti-aliasing samples to match level 5 of SunFlow (1024 samples per pixel).
not available

Posted by bdfd at Apr 28, 2020, 7:30:51 AM
After further testing, I plan to increase the maximum value of the anti-aliasing samples to match level 5 of SunFlow (1024 samples per pixel).
Do you know the impact on time of renderings with these options ?

biggrin

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 28, 2020, 4:29:34 PM
The plug-in uses the YafaRay source code available in the end of 2019 (not sure it was exactly v3.3.0).
I'll make the plug-in evolve with YafaRay new versions, but for the moment, I prefer to wait for the YafaRay developers answer for my request about equirectangular images support. We never know, we could have a nice surprise as they work on YafaRay again.

By the way, Cecilia, I love your renderings smile

Posted by Puybaret at May 5, 2020, 12:06:42 PM
Good news! David Bluecame added an equirectangular camera to YafaRay yesterday.
I gave it a try this morning and it worked as expected, so I should be able to generate a new version of the plug-in with this missing feature soon. smile

Posted by Ceciliabr at May 5, 2020, 6:44:47 PM
The best news here is that David Bluecame is actually still updating YafaRay. The present version was released some three years ago, unless I'm mistaken, and the YafaRay forum has been relatively dead lately, so even an alfa-version bears good news.

Just wondering: Does YafaRay use GPU as well as CPU? My activity monitor indicates some GPU activity that is not present when rendering with Sunflow.

By the way, Cecilia, I love your renderings

Thank you! Much appreciated!
I really like YafaRay. I'm still experimenting, but I will find time to create and post some new snapshots soon, now that the youngest is back in kindergarten, at least most of the days.

Cecilia

Posted by s_koch at May 7, 2020, 7:33:13 AM
Good news! David Bluecame added an equirectangular camera to YafaRay yesterday.
I gave it a try this morning and it worked as expected, so I should be able to generate a new version of the plug-in with this missing feature soon. smile

Those are really good news!

Can you estimate, when it will be available in SW3D?

A few days, a few weeks, or a few month?

I simply want to plan my project and optimize either for YR or SF rendering.

Posted by s_koch at May 7, 2020, 7:48:19 AM
When I look at the rendering process (Windows7 and 10), I see that the CPU is fully loaded and the GPU shows no significant load.
Three questions:
1. Are there some adjustments or tricks, to force and use a faster GPU usage?
or
2. Are there plans to integrate this feature in the near future?

3. Generelly asking (As I do not have any idea):
Are some other 3D apps much faster, because the renderer is using the GPU, or is that a similar speed (for similar tasks)?
Do those user also need to wait hours and hours for 1 large picture - if many light-sources are active in a larger room?

Thanks again!!

Posted by Puybaret at May 8, 2020, 10:59:50 AM
Here's the version 1.1 of the YafaRay rendering plug-in which allows to compute equirectangular images.
It's based on the version 3.4.2 of YafaRay that David Bluecame very gently accepted to release with the missing camera used to compute this kind of images.

Equirectangular image of example 12 of the gallery (4000x2000 image)

These images require to be displayed by a special viewer like this one. You may also try on Facebook using Anh Ðinh tutorial.

Kudos to David and YafaRay team! smile

@s_koch
Finally, YafaRay doesn't really use the GPU. I think its team would like to use it in a future version but it's of course a complicated improvement.
I don't know how much other rendering engines perform better or not. Even an in-depth study of their performances may lead to some too big expectations, because as soon as you integrate all the parameters in the rendering, you may loose a lot of CPU power. I expected that YafaRay would be able to run 10 times faster that SunFlow but finally this factor is more often 2 or 3 and some users even experienced some cases where YafaRay was slower than SunFlow!

Emmanuel, do you plan to implement caustic photons for direct lighting in a future version?
@enkonyito
If it's not complicated, I'll add the missing methods in JNI if needed. Any information that will help me to program it faster will be appreciated.
Note also that version 1.1 of the plug-in uses named cameras to let you generate videos more effectively in your plug-in, without the need to regenerate the scene at each frame.

Posted by s_koch at May 8, 2020, 11:40:49 AM

Kudos to David and YafaRay team! smile

And some extra Kudos to you, dear Emmanuel for this extreme fast response!!

Note also that version 1.1 of the plug-in uses named cameras to let you generate videos more effectively in your plug-in, without the need to regenerate the scene at each frame.

But how to use "named cameras", or do you mean the named positions ("point of view") of the "visitor"?

And when I create a video, how to choose one of the 2 rendering engines?

Many, many thanks again!!!

Posted by anhmax at May 8, 2020, 4:22:06 PM
applause   Re: YafaRay rendering plug-in
That's amazing Puybaret. Now I can render a spherical photo with best quality really fast. biggrin
4000x2000, best quality, spherical:
Sunflow: 15 minutes
Yafaray: 3 minutes

Sunflow: 15 minutes

Yafaray: 3 minutes

Thank you, Puybaret and the developers. You are the best.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM1mqUjGRtD4uCXX5qzgG3w

Posted by Rolander at May 14, 2020, 1:33:29 PM
Why is the personal view rendered differently compared to the aerial view. It is also a lot faster but with worse quality. Settings are the same, I just change the view and start the Yafaray renderer.

Posted by Puybaret at May 14, 2020, 1:47:41 PM
I decided to go that way because some settings didn't render correctly in SunFlow in virtual visit, and at the moment, YafaRay rendering plug-in reproduces the same settings.
But I plan to change these settings in a coming version in both rendering engines, if I can fix the issue in SunFlow.

Posted by Puybaret at May 18, 2020, 5:47:49 PM
Here's the version 1.2 of the YafaRay rendering plug-in which fixes the projection of the fisheye lens to make it similar to SunFlow's one and improves the launch delay of the renderer, mostly for scenes with large texture images. As this version creates much less temporary files, users with a slow hard disk should also see a faster launch.

It's based on the version 3.4.4 of YafaRay that David Bluecame kindly released to add more projection parameters fo fisheye lens.
I forked this version to avoid storing texture images in temporary files and to speed up the rendering of multiple frames in videos, an improvement that Enkonyito will hopefully integrate in his plug-in.

Posted by enkonyito at May 31, 2020, 1:31:01 AM
@enkonyito
If it's not complicated, I'll add the missing methods in JNI if needed. Any information that will help me to program it faster will be appreciated.

I don't know which missing methods could be added in JNI because the caustic photons are enabled by default as for the sunsky background.

Here is a comparative test between SunFlow and YafaRay.

Attachment caustic photons test.sh3d (79998 bytes) (Download count: 97)

not available

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 6, 2020, 10:02:13 PM
The version 1.3 of the YafaRay rendering plug-in published tonight handles better issues bound to missing memory.
Crashes should happen much less often particularly when the program runs in 32 bit, and a red cross should be displayed now instead of program crashing (at least the first time), letting users save their work if it happens.
I also improved the plug-in to avoid crashes when a rendering is immediately relaunched after a rendering in progress is stopped, as Ceciliabr reported.

Posted by Ceciliabr at Jun 13, 2020, 8:00:09 PM
Version 1.3 does not work on any of my Macs.

I have tried now on several Mac computers:
Mac Pro 5.1 with OSX 10.13.6 , Max Pro 6.1 with OSX 10.14.6, and on my Macbook 1019 with Catalina, where SH3D 6.3 won't even start.
SH3D asks for legacy Java SE6 runtime – which of course cannot be installed because a newer version is already installed.

What is your working config for OSX?

Cecilia

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 13, 2020, 9:34:06 PM
Ceciliabr, are you sure you use the installer SweetHome3D-6.3-macosx.dmg?
Apple Java 6 is required for the other installer SweetHome3D-6.3-macosx-10.6.dmg and can't run under Catalina.

Posted by Ceciliabr at Jun 14, 2020, 12:31:03 AM
Ceciliabr, are you sure you use the installer SweetHome3D-6.3-macosx.dmg?
Yes. The installer i downloaded is 67.3 MB and is called SweetHome3D-6.3-macosx.dmg. Unless some switch has been made, I'm running the correct version.

And obviously I'm not the only one experiencing this. I even tried it on my daughters Macbook air with Catalina, with the same result:

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 14, 2020, 6:30:51 PM
This installer comes with its own copy of Java 8, the reason why it’s much larger than the older ones. So there’s no reason why it would try to use Java 6.
I would suspect that you have more than one copy of Sweet Home 3D application on your computer and another version is associated with .sh3d documents.
This could happen if you open Sweet Home 3D by double-clicking on a SH3D file.
First try to launch Sweet Home 3D by clicking on its icon in the DMG you downloaded or a copy of it on you disk. Then if it works, try to remove the other Sweet Home 3D applications or change file associations in macOS if you know how to perform this change.

Posted by Xiste at Jun 15, 2020, 11:54:03 AM
I suspect that's what happened with me. I normally open programs from the spotlight search ( an old habit), and usually the latest version is the one on top of the list. As it happens: it wasn't.

But v1.3 is still not working.

Posted by GhyslainB at Jul 20, 2020, 11:30:13 PM
I've been meaning to try out the new Yafaray renderer (I would indeed _love_ to have a faster and better renderer!), yet I get an error message (copied below from console). It looks like it is missing the Boost library or something: do I need to install that separately? I'm sorry if I'm just stupid, but help would be appreciated :)

For reference, I use the jar version of SH3D (version 6.3), with -xmx set to 12G on macOS 10.13.6 with i7/16GB RAM, and Oracle Java 8 version 251. The plugin is installed in the proper ~/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D/plugins folder.

The error message is this:
Exception in thread "pool-9-thread-1" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/Ghyslain/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D/work/6000-17cdb366-9f24-4bf5-8aba-6846e7cd9d4b/dll3757081845916336443tmp/libyafaray_v3_core.dylib: dlopen(/Users/Ghyslain/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D/work/6000-17cdb366-9f24-4bf5-8aba-6846e7cd9d4b/dll3757081845916336443tmp/libyafaray_v3_core.dylib, 1): Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/boost/lib/libboost_system.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/Ghyslain/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D/work/6000-17cdb366-9f24-4bf5-8aba-6846e7cd9d4b/dll3757081845916336443tmp/libyafaray_v3_core.dylib
Reason: image not found
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1941)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1824)
at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:809)
at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1086)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayRenderer.loadDLLs(YafarayRenderer.java:251)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayRenderer.<clinit>(YafarayRenderer.java:135)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayPhotoPanel.computePhoto(YafarayPhotoPanel.java:
776)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayPhotoPanel.access$1400(YafarayPhotoPanel.java:113)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayPhotoPanel$17.run(YafarayPhotoPanel.java:759)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Thanks in advance for the help!
G.

P.S.: Since this happens to be my first post on this forum, let me just say to Emmanuel Puybaret and the other contributors of SH3D and its plugins that you guys are heros for the hobbyist architecture enthusiast that I am! Thanks for your hard work and dedication!

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 22, 2020, 3:10:40 PM
Ghyslain, it seems I missed one step during the build of the plug-in.
Please try the version 1.3.1 which should fix your issue.

Posted by Xiste at Jul 22, 2020, 5:11:19 PM
I just tried this version, and now the create-button works. But after the file is loaded, SH3D shuts down, leaving this message:

Process: SweetHome3D [12051]
Path: /Applications/Sweet Home 3D.app/Contents/MacOS/SweetHome3D
Identifier: com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D
Version: 6.3 (6300)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: SweetHome3D [12051]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2020-07-22 17:28:51.455 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G14019)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: F590E1AE-84B7-61C6-CEA3-F11D1D8CF2C4

Time Awake Since Boot: 340000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 140 Java: pool-10-thread-1

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000001c8
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x1c8:
-->
__TEXT 000000010e534000-000000010e535000 [ 4K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Sweet Home 3D.app/Contents/MacOS/SweetHome3D

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Thread 0:: AppKit Thread Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff68f381fa mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff68f37714 mach_msg + 60
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff40dd7dc5 __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 341
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff40dd7117 __CFRunLoopRun + 1783
4 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff40dd6787 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 487
5 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff400b6d96 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 286
6 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff400b6b06 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 613
7 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff400b6884 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
8 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff3e363a3b _DPSNextEvent + 2085
9 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff3eaf9e34 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 3044
10 libosxapp.dylib 0x0000000a77775328 -[NSApplicationAWT nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 124
11 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff3e35884d -[NSApplication run] + 764
12 libosxapp.dylib 0x0000000a77774f72 +[NSApplicationAWT runAWTLoopWithApp:] + 156
13 libawt_lwawt.dylib 0x0000000a776f90bf -[AWTStarter starter:] + 905
14 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff42f39955 __NSThreadPerformPerform + 334
15 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff40df4b01 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_SOURCE0_PERFORM_FUNCTION__ + 17
16 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff40eace5c __CFRunLoopDoSource0 + 108
17 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff40dd7ab0 __CFRunLoopDoSources0 + 208
18 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff40dd6f2d __CFRunLoopRun + 1293
19 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff40dd6787 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 487
20 libjli.dylib 0x000000010e6458fe CreateExecutionEnvironment + 871
21 libjli.dylib 0x000000010e6414cc JLI_Launch + 1952
22 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010e5c44c7 JavaLibrary::JavaVMCreate(unsigned long, char**) + 183
23 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010e5c1db1 JavaVirtualMachine::StartJVM() + 3457
24 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010e5c0f60 RunVM() + 16
25 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010e5ce81f start_launcher + 1791
26 com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D 0x000000010e534cd9 main + 217
27 com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D 0x000000010e534bf4 start + 52

Posted by pling at Jul 23, 2020, 6:42:23 PM
applause   Re: YafaRay rendering plug-in
This plug-in is awesome! Can I somehow use it for video too?

Posted by enkonyito at Jul 23, 2020, 10:22:25 PM
Ghyslain, it seems I missed one step during the build of the plug-in.
Please try the version 1.3.1 which should fix your issue.

Does this version incorporate the new source code of YafaRay?
not available

Posted by GhyslainB at Jul 28, 2020, 9:28:37 AM
Thank you Emmanuel for your prompt reply!

I've now tried this new 1.3.1 version. However, another issue seems to have arisen and leads to a crash.

First trying the plugin with the jar version of the app and one of my projects. Upon launching the Create photo with Yafaray render, there is first a series of library reference error messages in the console:
dlerror: dlopen(/Users/Ghyslain/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D/work/6000-90938268-2b68-4125-a6c0-b417f8f85adb/dll4459707302376552544tmp/yafaray-plugins/libphotonmap.dylib, 2): Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/boost/lib/libboost_system.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/Ghyslain/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D/work/6000-90938268-2b68-4125-a6c0-b417f8f85adb/dll4459707302376552544tmp/yafaray-plugins/libphotonmap.dylib
dlerror: dlopen(/Users/Ghyslain/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D/work/6000-90938268-2b68-4125-a6c0-b417f8f85adb/dll4459707302376552544tmp/yafaray-plugins/libspotlight.dylib, 2): Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/boost/lib/libboost_filesystem.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/Ghyslain/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D/work/6000-90938268-2b68-4125-a6c0-b417f8f85adb/dll4459707302376552544tmp/yafaray-plugins/libspotlight.dylib

Etc., etc. (I won't copy all the logs here because it would fill out the forum, but I can send them to you in full if needed.)

Then, after some crunching (with medium-high CPU utilization), the application exits with this error:
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x000000018df57b7d, pid=9787, tid=0x0000000000027b67
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_201-b09) (build 1.8.0_201-b09)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.201-b09 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [libyafaray_v3_core.dylib+0x60b7d] yafaray::imageFilm_t::setProgressBar(yafaray::progressBar_t*)+0xd
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /Users/Ghyslain/hs_err_pid9787.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

The referenced log file begins with the following:

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x000000018df57b7d, pid=9787, tid=0x0000000000027b67
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_201-b09) (build 1.8.0_201-b09)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.201-b09 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [libyafaray_v3_core.dylib+0x60b7d] yafaray::imageFilm_t::setProgressBar(yafaray::progressBar_t*)+0xd
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

--------------- T H R E A D ---------------

Current thread (0x00007fdfc00a6000): JavaThread "pool-11-thread-1" [_thread_in_native, id=162663, stack(0x00007000075e9000,0x00007000076e9000)]

siginfo: si_signo: 11 (SIGSEGV), si_code: 1 (SEGV_MAPERR), si_addr: 0x00000000000001c8

[...]

Stack: [0x00007000075e9000,0x00007000076e9000], sp=0x00007000076e8410, free space=1021k
Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code, C=native code)
C [libyafaray_v3_core.dylib+0x60b7d] yafaray::imageFilm_t::setProgressBar(yafaray::progressBar_t*)+0xd
C [libyafarayjni.dylib+0x683e] Java_com_eteks_sweethome3d_plugin_yafarayrendering_YafarayRenderer_render+0x2ce
j com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayRenderer.render(Lcom/eteks/sweethome3d/plugin/yafarayrendering/YafarayRenderer$ImageOutput;Ljava/util/Map;)V+0
j com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayRenderer.render(Ljava/awt/image/BufferedImage;Lcom/eteks/sweethome3d/model/Camera;Ljava/awt/image/ImageObserver;)V+1493
j com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayPhotoPanel.computePhoto(Lcom/eteks/sweethome3d/model/Home;)V+164
j com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayPhotoPanel.access$1400(Lcom/eteks/sweethome3d/plugin/yafarayrendering/YafarayPhotoPanel;Lcom/eteks/sweethome3d/model/Home;)V+2
j com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayPhotoPanel$17.run()V+8
j java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Ljava/util/concurrent/ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker;)V+95
j java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run()V+5
j java.lang.Thread.run()V+11
v ~StubRoutines::call_stub
V [libjvm.dylib+0x2f0bea] JavaCalls::call_helper(JavaValue*, methodHandle*, JavaCallArguments*, Thread*)+0x6ae
V [libjvm.dylib+0x2f138e] JavaCalls::call_virtual(JavaValue*, KlassHandle, Symbol*, Symbol*, JavaCallArguments*, Thread*)+0x164
V [libjvm.dylib+0x2f153a] JavaCalls::call_virtual(JavaValue*, Handle, KlassHandle, Symbol*, Symbol*, Thread*)+0x4a
V [libjvm.dylib+0x34be29] thread_entry(JavaThread*, Thread*)+0x7c
V [libjvm.dylib+0x570c33] JavaThread::thread_main_inner()+0x9b
V [libjvm.dylib+0x57232e] JavaThread::run()+0x1c2
V [libjvm.dylib+0x48f3ca] java_start(Thread*)+0xf6
C [libsystem_pthread.dylib+0x3661] _pthread_body+0x154
C [libsystem_pthread.dylib+0x350d] _pthread_body+0x0
C [libsystem_pthread.dylib+0x2bf9] thread_start+0xd
C 0x0000000000000000

Java frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code)
j com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayRenderer.render(Lcom/eteks/sweethome3d/plugin/yafarayrendering/YafarayRenderer$ImageOutput;Ljava/util/Map;)V+0
j com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayRenderer.render(Ljava/awt/image/BufferedImage;Lcom/eteks/sweethome3d/model/Camera;Ljava/awt/image/ImageObserver;)V+1493
j com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayPhotoPanel.computePhoto(Lcom/eteks/sweethome3d/model/Home;)V+164
j com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayPhotoPanel.access$1400(Lcom/eteks/sweethome3d/plugin/yafarayrendering/YafarayPhotoPanel;Lcom/eteks/sweethome3d/model/Home;)V+2
j com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayPhotoPanel$17.run()V+8
j java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Ljava/util/concurrent/ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker;)V+95
j java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run()V+5
j java.lang.Thread.run()V+11
v ~StubRoutines::call_stub

I've also tried with the App Store version of SH3D (and a demo file), and it leads to the same behaviour, with the following System crash report:

Crashed Thread: 100 Java: pool-10-thread-1

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000001c8

VM Regions Near 0x1c8:
-->
__TEXT 000000010d3b3000-000000010d3b4000 [ 4K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Sweet Home 3D.app/Contents/MacOS/SweetHome3D

abort() called

Thread 0:: AppKit Thread Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff512ba20a mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff512b9724 mach_msg + 60
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff29186845 __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 341
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff29185b97 __CFRunLoopRun + 1783
4 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff29185207 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 487
5 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff28465d96 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 286
6 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff28465b06 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 613
7 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff28465884 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
8 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff26715a73 _DPSNextEvent + 2085
9 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff26eabe34 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 3044
10 libosxapp.dylib 0x000000012800c328 -[NSApplicationAWT nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 124
11 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff2670a885 -[NSApplication run] + 764
12 libosxapp.dylib 0x000000012800bf72 +[NSApplicationAWT runAWTLoopWithApp:] + 156
13 libawt_lwawt.dylib 0x0000000127f900bf -[AWTStarter starter:] + 905
14 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff2b2e50b5 __NSThreadPerformPerform + 334
15 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff291a3581 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_SOURCE0_PERFORM_FUNCTION__ + 17
16 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff2925b8ac __CFRunLoopDoSource0 + 108
17 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff29186530 __CFRunLoopDoSources0 + 208
18 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff291859ad __CFRunLoopRun + 1293
19 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff29185207 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 487
20 libjli.dylib 0x000000010d49d8fe CreateExecutionEnvironment + 871
21 libjli.dylib 0x000000010d4994cc JLI_Launch + 1952
22 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010d45d4c7 JavaLibrary::JavaVMCreate(unsigned long, char**) + 183
23 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010d45adb1 JavaVirtualMachine::StartJVM() + 3457
24 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010d459f60 RunVM() + 16
25 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010d46781f start_launcher + 1791
26 com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D 0x000000010d3b3cd9 main + 217
27 com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D 0x000000010d3b3bf4 start + 52

Thread 1:
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff512c3d82 __semwait_signal + 10
1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff5148f824 _pthread_join + 626
2 libjli.dylib 0x000000010d49cebb ContinueInNewThread0 + 102
3 libjli.dylib 0x000000010d49a378 ContinueInNewThread + 201
4 libjli.dylib 0x000000010d49cc1b JVMInit + 363
5 libjli.dylib 0x000000010d49a0f6 JLI_Launch + 5066
6 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010d45d4c7 JavaLibrary::JavaVMCreate(unsigned long, char**) + 183
7 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010d45adb1 JavaVirtualMachine::StartJVM() + 3457
8 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010d459f60 RunVM() + 16
9 libpackager.dylib 0x000000010d46781f start_launcher + 1791
10 com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D 0x000000010d3b3cd9 main + 217
11 libjli.dylib 0x000000010d49d590 apple_main + 92
12 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff5148b661 _pthread_body + 340
13 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff5148b50d _pthread_start + 377
14 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff5148abf9 thread_start + 13

Hopefully, this might help you figure out what is going on. Thanks!

Posted by GhyslainB at Jul 29, 2020, 6:21:09 AM
P.S. to my last post, I've tried version 1.2 of the plugin and it works fine, so my config probably isn't the root cause for the 1.3.1 crash.

Cheers.

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 29, 2020, 7:51:59 AM
Ghyslain, it seems I missed more than one step during the build of the plug-in 1.3. sad
Please try the version 1.3.2 which should fix at least the "Library not loaded" errors you reported. Not sure if the other errors are bound to this first ones. I hope so.

Does this version incorporate the new source code of YafaRay?
No, versions 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 fixes only wrong internal links in .dylib libraries for macOS. The recent changes in YafaRay will be incorporated to YafaRay rendering plug-in later. It's not urgent because the change log lists only issues on some features not used in the plug-in.

Can I somehow use it for video too?
See PhotoVideoRendering plug-in cited in plug-ins page.

Posted by GhyslainB at Jul 30, 2020, 5:55:45 AM
Emmanuel, third time’s the charm! Version 1.3.2 works for me. Thanks for the fix smile

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 30, 2020, 7:46:34 AM
Ghyslain, thanks for your feedback.
Ceciliabr, Xiste, could you try this new version too?

Posted by Ceciliabr at Jul 30, 2020, 11:39:51 PM
YES! YES! YES!

SH3D 6.4 and YafaRay 1.3.2 works perfectly!

Took three minutes to load, but rendered in six – and this is a HUGE file!

I salute you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=LAdxhHz6Tu4

Cecilia wink

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 31, 2020, 1:02:57 PM
Thanks Cecilia for your nice test + the music, and sorry for the stupid bug I left in the version 1.3 of the plug-in.

Posted by Xiste at Jul 31, 2020, 3:13:17 PM
@Puybaret: I confirm that this works. Thank you for your efforts!

@Ceciliabr: Catchy music! ... and an awesome rendering.

Posted by GhyslainB at Aug 2, 2020, 10:26:38 AM
Not sure if the question is more for Emmanuel @Puybaret or for @enkonyito, but here it goes: I've tried to use Yafaray (version 1.3.2) with the PhotoVideoRendering plugin (version 2.0) to render a series of images. When I click start in the plugin window, nothing seems to happen, but the console fills in with the now familiar Boost library error messages (copied below). There seems to be a reference to tmp files in ~/Library/Application Support... would this be something on my end or a bug similar to the previous one affecting the plugin? Thanks!

Exception in thread "pool-14-thread-1" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/Ghyslain/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D/work/6400-53cf3a27-5558-44aa-8227-8989291c3488/dll3844500745242148772tmp/libyafaray_v3_core.dylib: dlopen(/Users/Ghyslain/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D/work/6400-53cf3a27-5558-44aa-8227-8989291c3488/dll3844500745242148772tmp/libyafaray_v3_core.dylib, 1): Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/boost/lib/libboost_system.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/Ghyslain/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D/work/6400-53cf3a27-5558-44aa-8227-8989291c3488/dll3844500745242148772tmp/libyafaray_v3_core.dylib
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1941)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1824)
at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:809)
at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1086)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayRenderer.loadDLLs(YafarayRenderer.java:272)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayRenderer.<clinit>(YafarayRenderer.java:156)
at sh3dPlugin.AdvancedPhotoPanel.computePhoto(AdvancedPhotoPanel.java:960)
at sh3dPlugin.AdvancedPhotoPanel.access$23(AdvancedPhotoPanel.java:938)
at sh3dPlugin.AdvancedPhotoPanel$20.run(AdvancedPhotoPanel.java:929)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
Exception in thread "pool-15-thread-1" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.eteks.sweethome3d.plugin.yafarayrendering.YafarayRenderer
at sh3dPlugin.AdvancedPhotoPanel.computePhoto(AdvancedPhotoPanel.java:960)
at sh3dPlugin.AdvancedPhotoPanel.access$23(AdvancedPhotoPanel.java:938)
at sh3dPlugin.AdvancedPhotoPanel$20.run(AdvancedPhotoPanel.java:929)

[...]
And so on and so forth.

Posted by enkonyito at Aug 2, 2020, 1:05:57 PM
Not sure if the question is more for Emmanuel @Puybaret or for @enkonyito, but here it goes: I've tried to use Yafaray (version 1.3.2) with the PhotoVideoRendering plugin (version 2.0) to render a series of images.

GhyslainB, try this version of the PhotoVideoRendering plug-in.
not available

Posted by ssandison at Sep 21, 2020, 1:29:27 PM
This is a great plugin. I always use it. The only thing I'm wondering is that if you need to do multiple images and they take a long time to render could there be a feature where you setup various shots based on stored view points and set where the images should save and what settings etc. Then you could leave the machine unattended to work through the renders rather than needed to go back and check. Sometimes I'm rendering overnight so that would be an amazing feature for me.

Posted by Puybaret at Sep 25, 2020, 9:45:00 PM
See the answer of EnkoNyito just above your question.

Posted by wilx at Sep 29, 2020, 6:37:08 PM
I'm unfortunately having issues trying to run the YafaRay plugin on Mac - getting a "developer cannot be verified" error, which persists no matter what my app permissions are. I've tried lots of things but not managed to get any luck...

Posted by gsnake69 at Oct 11, 2020, 3:07:41 PM
I cannot run this plugin on my MacbookPro with Catalina 10.15.7.
The first time I run the plugin it shows the following error "“libboost_system.dylib” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.SweetHome3D created this file today at 14:54.".

I'm running the Mac App Store version of sh3d.

How can I make MacOS understand that these files are safe ?

Thanks.

Posted by Puybaret at Oct 11, 2020, 8:28:02 PM
wilx, gsnake69, I wouldn't be astonished that Apple decided to forbid to run some .dylib dynamic libraries imported in a sandboxed program. sad
Does it work with the free version?

Posted by gsnake69 at Oct 11, 2020, 10:47:38 PM
sad   Re: YafaRay rendering plug-in
Just tested it and it works in the free version ....

Posted by gsnake69 at Oct 17, 2020, 6:31:49 PM
So it works on the free version...
Is there a way to make it work in the "paid" MacStore version ?
It's strange to have a feature working on a free version and not working on a paid version ...

Posted by bam0o at Oct 25, 2020, 9:07:35 AM
Hi, guys!
Can you tell me, why rendering with natural light is too dark?
I've drawn a room with 4 walls, floor and ceil (17 sq.m). Placed simple double window. And a table inside (just for example). Placed virtual visitor and made yafaray render. (window to the NE side and 8AM - morning - very thin stripe of sunlight on the wall)
Until I turn on ceil lighting images are very dark - almost black room with window and sunlight stripe!
Sky lighting doesn't help. Only ceil lighting...
What I do wrong? Or is it normal? I'm trying to compare with real life and my room with the same conditions is much lighter at morning. (yes, i know about aperture and shutter time in photography, but...)
Can I setup renderer to make pics closer to real life with natural lighting?

I've tried AO and path tracing modes - same results...

Posted by Ceciliabr at Oct 25, 2020, 11:17:51 AM
Hi bam0o!

Aperture, shutter speed and ISO is what normally controls the exposure.
Unfortunately none of these parameters can be controlled when making snapshots with the SH3D camera.
So you will need to brighten your interior a bit by adding a few light sources.
Two panel lights at low intensity, one covering the entire ceiling and facing downward with intensity 8, and one covering the entire floor and facing upwards with intensity 3, might create a better exposure. You may have to experiment a bit before getting it perfect.

Another thing:
I have of course not seen your renders, so I don’t know how dark they really are.

The SH3D camera is an absolute observer, whilst our eyes are dynamic observers.
So when your snapshot is viewed against a white background, your eyes are automatically adjusting the
white balance and the light to the brightest area.
Any normal exposure will seem a bit dark when viewed against a bright white light.
Try viewing your renders against a dark background.
Maybe they are not as dark as they appear.

Cecilia

Posted by bam0o at Oct 29, 2020, 5:55:47 PM
Hi, Cecilia
Thank you! I know that our vision adapts, but camera's exposure doesn't.
I'll try your recipes with lighting panels.

p.s. here are my pics (i forgot to add it to the first post)

Add ceiling lights (in yafaray settings)

Without any light

Enable sky lighting

Posted by enkonyito at Nov 13, 2020, 3:19:16 AM
@bam0o
Hi, guys!
Can you tell me, why rendering with natural light is too dark?
I've drawn a room with 4 walls, floor and ceil (17 sq.m). Placed simple double window. And a table inside (just for example). Placed virtual visitor and made yafaray render. (window to the NE side and 8AM - morning - very thin stripe of sunlight on the wall)
Until I turn on ceil lighting images are very dark - almost black room with window and sunlight stripe!
Sky lighting doesn't help. Only ceil lighting...
What I do wrong? Or is it normal? I'm trying to compare with real life and my room with the same conditions is much lighter at morning. (yes, i know about aperture and shutter time in photography, but...)
Can I setup renderer to make pics closer to real life with natural lighting?

I've tried AO and path tracing modes - same results...

Without additional light sources, an interior rendering is always dark.

If you want to have a natural rendering, you can use path tracing global illumination by increasing the number of light bounces if necessary.
Turning on the sky lighting (without texture) can bring a little more brightness.

You can also add light panels as suggested ceciliabr by paying attention to the light power so that it stays close to reality.

Enko
not available

Posted by Puybaret at Nov 25, 2020, 9:03:39 AM
Here's the version 1.4 of the YafaRay rendering plug-in.
It includes the last version 3.5.1 of libYafaray with the small improvements that I previously programmed for YafaRay plug-in (better handling of images and memory errors). The plug-in is smaller this time (15.8 MB instead of 21 MB) because it doesn't need Boost and some other libraries anymore.

Under Windows, the plug-in should now work correctly if your login contains non ASCII letters (i.e. accentuated or non Latin letters).
Under macOS, I signed the .dylib files in the hope it will fix some security issues. Not sure it will be enough for all cases, though...

Posted by Masok77 at Dec 9, 2020, 12:18:12 PM
Hi, i have a problem with Yafaray when render in 1980x1080 show me a memry error... i have 8G RAM with sunflow dont have this problem... is i add more ram i solve this error?
8G ram
FX8350
ssd 250G
Nvidia 1660XT
Thanks

Posted by Masok77 at Dec 9, 2020, 4:20:13 PM
Yafaray 1.4 sweethome 6.4.2

Posted by Puybaret at Jan 12, 2021, 9:19:05 PM
In case you have the chance to have acquired a Mac ARM Silicon, here's the version 1.4.1 of the YafaRay rendering plug-in which provides native support for that system when run with the version of Sweet Home 3D for the Mac ARM architecture.

[Edit] Note that versions 1.4 and 1.4.1 can only run from Mac OS X 10.12 because of the SHA-266 certificates used to sign the .dylib files of the plug-in. I'll try to fix this issue in a coming version.

@Masok77 How big is your SH3D file? Did you try with a demo of the gallery?

Posted by Puybaret at Jan 13, 2021, 3:45:56 PM
Version 1.4.2 fixes the certificate issue for Mac OS X 10.9, 10.10 and 10.11 (maybe for 10.7 and 10.8 too but I didn't test).

Posted by Puybaret at Jan 17, 2021, 1:17:02 PM
The version 1.4.3 fixes an issue reported here by gregoryx about light rays that could appear at ceiling borders.
We experienced a similar issue in the scene used for Sweet Home 3D 6.3 where without some tricks, the scene let appear some unwanted clear lines at the ceiling like in the following image.

(larger image)

Thanks to the help of David Bluecame, the developer of YafaRay, I could adjust the renderer parameters to avoid this issue.

(larger image)

You'll see that this adjustment gives an image with a little more contrast (see the cactus at bottom right for example).

Note that this adjustment is still not perfect, and you might still get some lighted pixels.
For example, the issue which appeared like in the following image with the version 1.4.2 of the plug-in:

will now appear like this at the 3rd quality level:

and like this at the highest quality level:

I hope you'll still agree it's much better and workable now.

Posted by enkonyito at Jan 24, 2021, 4:36:19 PM
As the YafaRay site is inaccessible, have you been given any information about the adv_auto_shadow_bias_enabled parameter?
When its value is false, it causes black outlines on the walls.
not available

Posted by Puybaret at Jan 25, 2021, 9:18:39 AM
To fix the bug described in my previous message, David Bluecame recommended to try setting adv_auto_min_raydist_enabled or adv_auto_shadow_bias_enabled parameters to true and play with the values of adv_min_raydist_value and adv_shadow_bias_value.
Changing adv_min_raydist_value didn't have some effect but adv_shadow_bias_value did, the reason why I published the version 1.4.3 (there was only little feedback about it and I'm not sure it's the perfect solution).
Try to set adv_shadow_bias_value with a float or double value, not a boolean value. The fastest way to try some YafaRay parameters and get their type is to look at a XML YafaRay example like this one: bval is for boolean values, fval for float or double values, ival for integer values, sval for strings.

Posted by enkonyito at Jan 26, 2021, 6:04:02 PM
By following this method I got the same results as you and I found that the shadow_bias parameter takes precedence over min_raydist.
There may be another parameter that comes into account because for the same values, the rendering is different when the auto mode is enabled for shadow_bias.
not available

Posted by GhyslainB at Jan 31, 2021, 7:50:48 AM
I've been using Yafaray since last summer, and overall I've had a good experience. However, I have three lingering issues, and I wondered if I'm just clueless on using the software properly (quite possible), or if they are the result of bugs.

Note: I typically use Yafaray at Level 4, with Photon, Lanczos and Shinydiffusemat, but I have seen the same issues with every setting I've tried.

1) First, I use some mantle clock furniture objects, and somehow whenever I render them with Yafaray, the clock face is missing, like this:

For reference, with SunFlow, they render properly, like this:

2) Secondly, the lamps (from SH3D default furniture set) are lighting incorrectly; the light "shines through," even when the lighting is set at a low percentage intensity. Like in the following example (lamp set at 7%):

3) Finaly, when using the Multiple photo rendering (v.2.1) plug-in, there seems to be some kind of memory management issue. The memory used by SH3D keeps getting larger with each render, usually leading to a crash when it goes above 200 GB or so, which is about 4-5 renders on a .sh3d file of about 1.75 GB. I can live with restarting the app every 4 renders, it's not a big deal, but I thought maybe it could be useful to report the problem here.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Posted by enkonyito at Feb 2, 2021, 2:14:37 AM
@GhyslainB
I've been using Yafaray since last summer, and overall I've had a good experience. However, I have three lingering issues, and I wondered if I'm just clueless on using the software properly (quite possible), or if they are the result of bugs.

Note: I typically use Yafaray at Level 4, with Photon, Lanczos and Shinydiffusemat, but I have seen the same issues with every setting I've tried.

1) First, I use some mantle clock furniture objects, and somehow whenever I render them with Yafaray, the clock face is missing,
Could you provide the link where to download this clock?

2) Secondly, the lamps (from SH3D default furniture set) are lighting incorrectly; the light "shines through," even when the lighting is set at a low percentage intensity.
This usually happens during indirect rendering (path tracing, photon mapping or sppm) with the YafaRay engine.
It seems that the light source diffuses through the object making the faces of the mesh visible.

3) Finaly, when using the Multiple photo rendering (v.2.1) plug-in, there seems to be some kind of memory management issue. The memory used by SH3D keeps getting larger with each render, usually leading to a crash when it goes above 200 GB or so, which is about 4-5 renders on a .sh3d file of about 1.75 GB. I can live with restarting the app every 4 renders, it's not a big deal, but I thought maybe it could be useful to report the problem here.
If your memory problem when rendering is similar to this one, you can create a bugs or feature requests ticket.
not available

Posted by GhyslainB at Feb 4, 2021, 11:38:41 AM
@enkonyito

Thank you for answering my post. For the clock, I've uploaded the model here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/t58xto0buct46e1/Mantle_Clock.zip/file

I'll look into writing a ticket for the memory bug.

Many thanks again!

Posted by hansmex at Feb 4, 2021, 2:16:00 PM
I downloaded and installed SH3D 6.5 under W10.

Using the Simple Photo Rendering v2.0a all results with Sunflow are VERY dark.
Should I no longer use this plugin?

H

Posted by enkonyito at Feb 5, 2021, 6:11:36 PM
Emmanuel,

GhyslainB's Mantle Clock is made up of 51 materials (2 colors and 49 textures).
Even by making the ForegroundColor and FrontColorNoCulling materials invisible, the problem persists.

Here is a comparative rendering without changing the source code.

Enko
not available

Posted by enkonyito at Feb 5, 2021, 6:19:02 PM
I downloaded and installed SH3D 6.5 under W10.

Using the Simple Photo Rendering v2.0a all results with Sunflow are VERY dark.
Should I no longer use this plugin?

H

Could you provide more precision here?
not available

Posted by Puybaret at Feb 8, 2021, 1:50:31 PM
There must be a problem with double sides or with normals in the Mantle Clock.
When you remove normals from OBJ files (remove the last /vindex in the triplets of the lines starting by f), or when you import / reexport the model in Blender, the parts of the clock which are rendered in black aren't black anymore.
Which software was used to design it?

Posted by enkonyito at Feb 9, 2021, 1:39:30 PM
When you remove normals from OBJ files (remove the last /vindex in the triplets of the lines starting by f), or when you import / reexport the model in Blender, the parts of the clock which are rendered in black aren't black anymore.
Which software was used to design it?
GhyslainB could tell you where he found this object and possibly what software was used to design it.

By replacing the textures with colors for the problematic materials (material0, material6, material9), I get this result.

not available

Posted by Ceciliabr at Feb 9, 2021, 10:53:30 PM

The faces have been flipped. I have flipped them back, and the clock renders fine with both Sunflow and YafaRay.
You can find the flipped version here:
ceciliabr.com/sh3D/Mantel-Clock-flipped.sh3d

Cecilia

Posted by enkonyito at Feb 11, 2021, 4:19:45 AM
@Ceciliabr
The faces have been flipped. I have flipped them back, and the clock renders fine with both Sunflow and YafaRay.
How did you flip the faces in the right direction?

@Puybaret
By removing the normals, I also get a correct rendering with YafaRay.
Does this mean that YafaRay and SunFlow do not handle misdirected faces in the same way?
not available

Posted by GhyslainB at Feb 12, 2021, 7:22:06 AM
@Puybaret @Enkonyito @Ceciliabr — Thank you all for pitching in on my problem. And a special thank you to Cecilia for preparing a corrected version of the clock! (I am rendering it as I write.)

Also, Cecilia, although I’m afraid that I am not savvy enough to follow Emmanuel’s instructions, or indeed to know what to do in Blender, if it is not too difficult, I would be interested to know how it can be done so I can fix it myself the next time around. But in any case, thanks for your help indeed.

For reference, if memory serves, the clock would have been made with SketchUp.

Posted by Ceciliabr at Feb 12, 2021, 6:38:02 PM
Sorry I can't give you a tutorial on how to do this in Blender.
I'm not very comfortable with using Blender. It's a great program, by all means, and you can most certainly use it to flip face normals, but for me to find out how to do that would include searching for tutorials on youtube or the user forum. I only use Blender for fixing complicated texture coordinates, which is as far as I have come with mastering the program.

To fix the Mantel clock, I used a program called Verto Studio 3D , which is free if you are using apple OS, and cost some 18 euro for Windows. Verto Studio 3D is a program that during the past five years have become my favourite companion to SH3D.

Actually I did a bit more than just flip the normals of the clock face. The Mantel clock is not really a well constructed model. I had to get rid of several doublettes, which you can see from the material list if you open the modify window. Double faces, especially with non-matching colours or textures, tend to create black surfaces or stange triangular patterns when used with SH3D.

Sketchup models are often quite messy and in need of some doctoring before they work well with other programs.

Cecilia

Posted by GhyslainB at Feb 14, 2021, 12:42:22 AM
Hi Cecilia,

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who has yet to muster up the courage to become a Blender power user! In fact, it would be a somewhat daunting task for me, and compounded by the fact that I do this as a hobby in my spare time. It was because I was under the impression that you had made the clock correction with Blender that I had mentioned it. But really, I’m just happy to know how you actually did it, so I can learn to do it myself.

All this to say that I will most definitely have a look at Verto Studio 3D (and I’m working on a Mac, so yeah freeware). I’m quite happy with SH3D, but I must say that finding a convivial and easy to use 3D modelling companion app is something I have been missing from time to time. I think it has the potential to be a useful addition to my toolbox.

As for the clock model itself, I had suspected that that the complexity of the object was part of the problem — with free internet downloads, sometimes quality is not always even. But I thank you again for fixing it for me, it now renders perfectly.

Best,
Ghyslain

Posted by Puybaret at Mar 13, 2021, 11:38:36 AM
The version 1.4.4 fixes some kind of shadows that could appear on some complex flat surfaces with the version 1.4.3 of the plug-in, like on the door of the dishwasher in the following image.

This is actually a tradeoff on the parameter I changed in the previous version to avoid clear lines at the ceiling border. A few clear pixels may appear a little more in version 1.4.4 but this unwanted shadow line won't appear on this dishwasher (and other 3D objects, I hope).

This version fixes also two memory leaks, one about memory used by texture images and the other about the generated image itself. So, rendering multiple large images with big textures shouldn't require you to relaunch Sweet Home 3D anymore.

Finally, I bundled the .dylib files (macOS DLLs) of the plug-in with the version 6.5.1 of Sweet Home 3D available in the Mac App Store to make it possible to render images with the plug-in under recent macOS versions. However, generated images must still be saved in Library/Containers/com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D/Data folder of user's home folder or in a subfolder with that version. It's up to you to move them afterwards.

Posted by enkonyito at Mar 14, 2021, 3:43:31 PM
@Puybaret

The version 1.4.4 fixes some kind of shadows that could appear on some complex flat surfaces with the version 1.4.3 of the plug-in, like on the door of the dishwasher in the following image.
The problem is not seen with the Ambient Occlusion lighting method but persists with Path Tracing.

Ambient Occlusion_Shadow Bias=0.005 - Ray Min Dist=5e-05 (auto)

Path Tracing_Shadow Bias=0.005 - Ray Min Dist=5e-05 (auto)

Same effect with the parameters: Shadow Bias=0.0005 (auto) - Ray Min Dist=5e-05 (auto).

This is actually a tradeoff on the parameter I changed in the previous version to avoid clear lines at the ceiling border. A few clear pixels may appear a little more in version 1.4.4 but this unwanted shadow line won't appear on this dishwasher (and other 3D objects, I hope).
With the SimpleRoom file, I always get this result.

Ambient Occlusion_Shadow Bias=0.005 - Ray Min Dist=5e-05 (auto)

Ambient Occlusion_Shadow Bias=0.0005 (auto) - Ray Min Dist=5e-05 (auto)

What could make the faces of a mesh visible in indirect rendering (Photon Mapping)?

not available

Posted by Puybaret at Mar 14, 2021, 5:56:55 PM
Thanks for your tests EnkoNyito. I think I'll simply try to improve the meshes on the model of this dishwasher in a future version of furniture libraries. If you or other users see some similar problems on some models available at the free 3D models page, please tell me so I can check them too.
I'll make some additional tests on adv_min_raydist_value parameter, but feel free to make the adjustments you feel the best in your plug-in.

About the visibility of meshes in indirect rendering, sorry I have no idea at the moment. Maybe you could ask to the developer of YafaRay himself...

Posted by son87a at Oct 31, 2021, 10:43:23 AM
@Puybaret I want to build a cloud render for SweetHome3DJS. Is it possible ? Do you have any suggest for that ?

Posted by Puybaret at Oct 31, 2021, 1:08:11 PM
That would be nice and surely possible smile

Posted by Poffu at Dec 29, 2021, 12:10:11 PM
Do you have ideas on how to get gray wall renderings to represent the true color it would have? I'm trying to see whether I'd like to have the lighter gray on my walls or the darker one, but the darker shades of gray get rendered way too light (if you ask me biggrin ).

Here are the walls pre-rendered:
Color L500 (RGB #A8AFB5):

and color S500 (RGB #757B81):

and their corresponding renderings:
L500:

S500:

Posted by hansmex at Dec 29, 2021, 1:55:10 PM
Try using textures of the desired colours instead of the colours themselves.

H

Posted by Xiste at Dec 29, 2021, 2:38:24 PM
Agree with Hansmex.

I used a site like this https://www.magasindepeinture.ch/en/ncs-color-chart-online.html to find the right color combo for my studio.
I sampled the color images, named them with the NCS code, applied them to my walls and made renderings. Having found the right ones, I gave the NCS code to the painters.

Perfect result.

Xiste

Posted by narensankar0529 at Jan 19, 2022, 3:25:02 PM
Plugin seems to crash on both macOS Intel and macOS M1 with 6.6. Home renders correctly with SunFlow but no matter what dimensions I use it starts rendering but then crashes. Anyone else seeing this issue?

Path: /Applications/Sweet Home 3D.app/Contents/MacOS/SweetHome3D
Identifier: com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D
Version: 6.6 (6600)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2022-01-19 23:24:15.9346 +0800
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1 (21A559)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 6.0 (19P549)
Anonymous UUID: 061D21FF-1D40-DCCA-7BA1-0F5EC4683531

Time Awake Since Boot: 2500000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 152

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000000000000c
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000000000000c

VM Region Info: 0xc is not in any region. Bytes before following region: 4505481204
REGION TYPE START - END [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD REGION DETAIL
UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->
__TEXT 10c8c3000-10c8d6000 [ 76K] r-x/rwx SM=COW ...S/SweetHome3D

abort() called

Posted by mickut at Jan 25, 2022, 9:41:44 PM
On Win10 my project has started to consistently crash Yafaray as well on memory access violation. The fault offset is constant.

Faulting application name: javaw.exe, version: 11.45.0.27, time stamp: 0x5fece988
Faulting module name: libyafaray_v3_core.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60467f34
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000030261
Faulting process ID: 0x435c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8122ab1faf429
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Sweet Home 3D\runtime\bin\javaw.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\xXxXxX\AppData\Local\Temp\dll567123420114771161tmp\libyafaray_v3_core.dll
Report ID: 9535d0e7-05fb-4e48-800f-197f25be59f9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Happens with both installer version and downloaded JAR on JDK-11 (not suprising, as it's the yafaray dll).

Posted by Daniels118 at Jan 26, 2022, 9:19:31 AM
Does this happen even with a very simple home (i.e. just 4 walls and floor), or is it specific to this file?
In the second case can you upload the file somewhere and share the link?

Posted by mickut at Jan 27, 2022, 5:12:15 PM
A minimal project renders fine, and even some close-ups in the failing model. I'll try to isolate the feature, then either create a sample or share the actual model.

Posted by mickut at Jan 27, 2022, 8:10:23 PM
Found the issue. A seemingly innocent looking model of a Denon LP player downloaded as Collada file:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/146e08...6a3/Denon-SL-7D-Turntable

Works almost OK with SunFlow, crashes YafaRay instantly. When I change "edge_color*" invisible in materials, it works.

The resulting non-crashing render does have some texture or surface clipping issues (and I've noticed it on many other models from 3dWareHouse as well).

Posted by SeppoV12 at Feb 18, 2022, 5:33:44 PM
The resulting non-crashing render does have some texture or surface clipping issues (and I've noticed it on many other models from 3dWareHouse as well).

Probably you have already noticed that making 'material' (just above material 0 in Model materials list of Denon), material 12 and material 13 invisible will remove most of that surface clipping.
Reason for clipping seems to be that model has different color/material on inner surface and outer (visible) surface.
At some angle the phenomenon appears as the inner color leaks through.

Posted by Puybaret at Feb 25, 2022, 3:18:22 PM
The version 1.4.5 fixes crashes that may happen with DAE models specifying only transparent color for some of its effect / material (generally edges like reported by mickut).