Print at May 16, 2022, 6:47:54 AM
Posted by Puybaret at May 7, 2015, 2:43:46 PM
Sweet Home 3D 5.0
Hi,

Here's a first beta version of Sweet Home 3D 5.0.

At the moment, this version brings some bug fixes in DAE files management, and also the following new features:
- When background and texture images are imported, their size is now read first to check if it not too large and a proposal is made to the user to reduce it if it's too large:

- It's now possible to change the color and the font of free texts, as well as make them appear in the 3D view at a variable elevation:

- For other texts, it's also possible to select the default font in preferences:

- I added Add point to room and Delete point from room menu items in the contextual menu of the plan. Of course, the added or deleted point will be at the position where the mouse pointer was located when the contextual menu appears:

- It's now possible to select items in furniture groups to modify them without the obligation to ungroup them. From the tests I made in other software proposing this kind of feature, I chose the following behavior: to select an item of a group in the plan, you'll have to click first on the group, then on the item, and if the item is in the subgroup, click again until you reach it. Multiple selection of group items can be done if you press the shift key.
As pieces of furniture are also listed in the furniture list, you'll have also the choice to select one or more item from the furniture list, whereas the selection in the furniture list and in the plan are synchronized.
To help you distinguish in the plan a selected item when it belongs to a group, its group is itself overpainted with a rounded rectangle filed with half transparent selection color, as shown in the following image:

- Opened groups are now saved in .sh3d files and restored when the file is reopened.

- I added Edition > Paste style menu item to copy the style of the item in the clipboard (i.e. a piece of furniture, a wall, a room or a text) on the selected items. By style, you should understand the color, texture and shininess in the case of furniture, walls or rooms, and font name, size and color in the case of texts.

- To avoid some confusion about whether a furniture or textures library import completed with no issue, an information message is now displayed once the library is imported.

- 1/8 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 3/4 7/8 fraction texts (written with 3 characters) are now allowed to be entered as inch fractions when Foot/Inch/Fraction unit is in use.

- The pitch rotation of the virtual visitor head can now go from -90° to 90°.

This is a first part and there should be other new features available in the coming weeks. Hope you'll enjoy these first ones! smile

[Note from developer: Sweet Home 3D 5.0 was released on July 19, 2015]
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer

Posted by okh at May 7, 2015, 4:34:19 PM
Re: Sweet Home 3D 5.0
Congratulations. No issues here after a quick try different test files. At least not so far for:

• Edition > Paste style.
  • Group item edit.
  • Add/delete room points.
  • Text tool, formatting and 3D view.
  • Background/texture import size warning: Background image proposed reduced from 7064x4960 to 3375x2370, but maybe most important is the warning message).
  • Pitch rotation of the virtual visitor.

Great features, nicely implemented. Especially 1 to 4 are very welcome. Will try more later.
ok
PS (The Java Web Start link prompted a Java update and the installer defaults to installing a toolbar / changing home page. Just read carefully if Java wants an update.)

Posted by hansmex at May 7, 2015, 4:35:06 PM
Emmanuel,

Congratulations with v5.0b and thank you very much for your continued efforts to make a great program even greater.

I did a few rapid test under Kubuntu 14.04 64-bits.

Add text, edit text, text in Preferences
These all work just as expected. Great addition.

Add point to room
After thinking what this could mean, I guessed I had to draw a room and see what happens. And indeed, it adds an extra point/corner to a room at the cursor coordinates.
Maybe a few extra words of explanation would be nice.
In combination with the AdvancedEdit plug-in this is VERY nice. Could that plug-in be integrated in the main program?

Modify groups
After nesting a few items 5 or 6 groups deep, I was able to succesfully edit each item.

Edition > Paste
Probably this is franglais?
I can't figure out how this works. Sorry for being stupid.

I didn't test the other new features.

Hans
Dual boot - AMD FX6300 6-core, 16GB ram
Windows 10 Pro, SH3D 6.2 with 8 GB memory allowance
Ubuntu 18.04, SH3D 6.2 with 2 GB memory allowance

Posted by Puybaret at May 7, 2015, 6:47:25 PM
Thanks for your feedback smile

Could that plug-in be integrated in the main program?
It's not what I plan at the moment.

Edition > Paste
Probably this is franglais?
No, I don't think so biggrin
It lets you copy the color/texture of a given copied object on others selected objects of the same kind without displaying again their modification dialog. It can be also used to keep in memory the color/texture of a room for example, when the quickest way to recompute a room is to delete it then recreate it with a double-click. Note that you can copy the style of a room only on rooms, copy the style of a wall only on walls,... and there should be only one object in the clipboard to enable this new menu item.

Posted by YGYL at May 11, 2015, 2:00:56 PM
applause   Re: Sweet Home 3D 5.0
Thank you very much

1.fonts in 3D display too Fuzzy,Especially when a large text size.

2.Background coordinates plus or minus is wrong .

Posted by YGYL at May 11, 2015, 2:05:47 PM
Original Picture
1. http://postimg.org/image/8w1kisy0f/
2.http://postimg.org/image/jjngbjjxr/

Posted by Puybaret at May 11, 2015, 4:29:04 PM
YGYL, thanks for your tests smile

1.fonts in 3D display too Fuzzy,Especially when a large text size.
The text is managed in 3D with a texture image that contains the text and is 512 pixels wide at max. I could use a larger size but fear loss of performance...
But if needed this trick is still working.

2.Background coordinates plus or minus is wrong .
No, it's correct. X and Y are the coordinates of the origin of the plan in the image, not the coordinates of the top left point of the image in the plan. If the Chinese translation of the wizard isn't correct, feel free to propose a better one.

Posted by YGYL at May 12, 2015, 12:48:58 PM
smile   Re: Sweet Home 3D 5.0
"此处定义图像的坐标原点" Should be replaced "此处定义户型的坐标原点所处在本图片的位置"

Posted by okh at May 13, 2015, 11:40:56 AM
Still to come across problems with the new features. So far everything works as expected (or better...)

Just wondering, will you include Add points to room to the Plan top menu? I see reasons not to. But if not, I get this feeling that future use of SH3D will rely more and more on the right-click context menus. Which I guess is good. But maybe the context menus should be emphasised more strongly in FAQ/tutorials. Maybe even the download version should move in the direction of the online version, with no (or optional) top menu (with some more toolbar buttons, of course)... ok

Posted by YGYL at May 18, 2015, 2:42:23 AM
Now,with Add point to room Function. I recommend Added a new feature to hollow room.
because create room is very important, The simplest way to establish basic parts.but the existing feature is too cumbersome.Not directly hollow.

I recommend 3 shortcut keys. add points,del point,hollow point.
When the hollow-point in the room range, when the hollow room!

Original Picture

Posted by Puybaret at May 19, 2015, 8:07:05 AM
will you include Add points to room to the Plan top menu?
No, because it would require to introduce a new kind of selection that would let the user select a point in the plan without losing the current selected room.

I get this feeling that future use of SH3D will rely more and more on the right-click context menus.
This is the main reason why these new Add point to room and Delete point from room menu items didn't appear yet. A good user interface should make available all the possible actions in the main menu, but as said previously, it's almost impossible for these items as well as the Select object / Toggle selection menu to appear elsewhere than the contextual menu, because they need a point.
You may like contextual menus, but keep in mind that many users are not used to it (mainly Mac OS X users), and those people might completely ignore that these features are available.

Maybe even the download version should move in the direction of the online version, with no (or optional) top menu (with some more toolbar buttons, of course)
The Online version doesn't come with a menu bar because it's not common to have one in such a part of a web page. But the more I think about it, the more I want to add an option in the Online preferences that will let the user show this menu bar (after all, Java makes it possible easily).
Keep in mind that the menu can be seen like a mini user's guide that people explore to learn how to use a software. wink

YGYL, thanks for your suggestion about "hollow point" but I have no idea about what you mean! sad

Posted by okh at May 19, 2015, 2:17:08 PM
Still no problems with 5beta. Points taken.
..it's almost impossible for these items as well as the Select object / Toggle selection menu to appear elsewhere than the contextual menu, because they need a point.
Quite, and I like the logic of your approach. Still, life also moves on, it is not that long ago that the Unix/X interface was designed for three mouse buttons, Win for two, and Mac for one. While many users may not be used to context menus, they work so well and are so easy to use in SH3D that I think many users would find exploring them worth while.

And this little rant, I suppose, is just a sign that I really cannot find anything to complain about in 5 beta smile

OK

Posted by mazoola at May 20, 2015, 2:48:52 AM
The beta has been very stable -- which is a good thing, as I mistakenly managed to open *and* save a current project using it.

Some observations:

o The improved Collada import is much appreciated.
o The warning about large textures works fine. Now can I have a 'preferences' option to disable it? :)
o The 'modify object in group' function is probably going to be the biggest productivity improvement [so far] in 5.0 -- a bit surprisingly, actually, as I'd never thought it was much of an imposition to ungroup/modify/group. But then I sorted furniture alphabetically, and groups started ungrouping non-consecutively....
Unfortunately, the function isn't quite ready for prime-time, I fear. I've found two problems: First if you expand a group and select one of its components, you can't always move from object to object correctly. That is, using up- or down-arrow from one item to the next doesn't work; focus skips randomly among the items, and some items sometimes can't be selected at all.
Second -- and this is harder to quantify -- but it appears actions taken against one item within a group may sometimes be applied to all. (Or maybe I was just doing something unsupported.) In brief, in one plan I have five boxes representing glue-lam beams arranged vaguely like an octothorp (i.e., pound sign, number sign, hashtag) and grouped together. Noticing one wasn't aligned quite correctly, I expanded the group, clicked on the component in question, and used the arrow keys to nudge it into alignment. Doing so causes the other items to shift -- but seemingly not in step with the one moved. I replicated the effect a number of times, but I couldn't discern if all items in the group shifted the same amount or if the amount shifted remained the same. (Again, this might be outside the intended scope of the function -- that is, selecting an item and then using the arrow keys to modify; if so, though, the documentation should reflect this.)

I haven't tried the other modifications, yet.

Oh, BTW, I'm still using XP on this machine, so before I could do anything I had to increase the stack to 1024mb -- which worked just fine.

Maz

Posted by santbose at May 20, 2015, 9:49:59 AM
When would the downloadable version of SH3D 5.0 launched? Just waiting for the same egerly.

Posted by YGYL at May 21, 2015, 4:16:42 AM
smile   Re: Sweet Home 3D 5.0
I have no response problem. I was raised hopes.
I hope to have more of a feature on the new features.

I want this

But, do not support direct hollow draw this

To do this you must draw.Too cumbersome.

If you have hollow room function just fine.can save a lot of steps

Posted by hal9000 at May 21, 2015, 9:11:36 AM
Do you mean to be able of create a room which you can manage and from which you can get info like the area, while it remains invisible (white) in the plan instead grey?

I speak of the plan only because in the 3D view you can simply uncheck the "show floor" and "show ceiling" checkboxes, but certainly it cannot be "hidden" in the plan.
If a long walk every day were healthy, mailmen would be immortal. tongue

Posted by hansmex at May 21, 2015, 10:07:30 AM
I think what is meant is a "room" that surrounds an empty space.

Example 1:
You have a house, and you want to add a green surface around the house to simulate a grass patch. You would then need something as in the example. I draw something like that quite often for basic landscaping of gardens, garden paths, etc.
Example 2:
You have a house with a patio. The patio is covered with tiles/paving, but in the centre there is a grass/garden patch.

H

Posted by mazoola at May 25, 2015, 10:20:11 AM
The 'paste style' function works well and is *much* appreciated.

Posted by Puybaret at May 25, 2015, 7:01:38 PM
The Beta 2 brings... baseboards smile
The room modification pane and wall modification pane were modified to let you select the baseboard you want on the walls around a room, or on each side of a wall.

You can add a baseboard along straight or round walls, choose their height, their thickness, their color/texture or use the same one as the color/texture used for their wall side. Baseboards are cut by doors and windows that intersect the wall along which they are set (actually, baseboards are computed more or less as small walls in the 3D view). Their profile can be only rectangular.
Objects with no elevation are magnetized along baseboards sides instead of walls sides when they are moved around. As soon as their elevation is greater than zero, they will be magnetized along walls sides without taking into account its baseboards.
Baseboards are not drawn in the plan. If ever you think they should be drawn, please give your advice about how they should be represented and why. Maybe I'll change my mind...
One last thing, you can also use baseboard to cover a part of the wall with an other color or texture if you set a big height. That should make it easier to add tiles on top of kitchen cabinets or around a bath.

The warning about large textures works fine. Now can I have a 'preferences' option to disable it? :)
Do you use so many big textures?

The 'modify object in group' function [...] isn't quite ready for prime-time, I fear. I've found two problems: First if you expand a group and select one of its components, you can't always move from object to object correctly. That is, using up- or down-arrow from one item to the next doesn't work;
I paid attention to reprogram up dans down arrow keys to be able to select groups and items in groups, and then select items in previous or following groups, but you seem to have found a case I forgot. Could you test this feature again and detail how to reproduce the issue you encountered?

it appears actions taken against one item within a group may sometimes be applied to all.
I remember I experienced this behavior at a moment, but thought I fixed it correctly. Please, detail steps by steps how to reproduce this issue with a small example using the current beta.

When would the downloadable version of SH3D 5.0 launched?
I generally don't release installers for beta versions. If you're a programmer, you can download the source code from CVS and build one yourself.

Posted by mazoola at May 26, 2015, 3:36:31 AM
Baseboards: Much appreciated. I'm very happy not to be hand-positioning baseboard and corner mouldings; I'm hoping it will also reduce somewhat the throw-weight of my plans and the frequency with which my attempts to render crap out. I have a thing against rectangular baseboards in real life, but they look decent enough in the renders. I'd say 80% for appearance (as compared with, um, more molded moulding) and 500% for ease of use -- so a definite win.

However, they don't seem to work correctly with all doors, yet. Treating them as small walls means door depths have to be increased by the depth of the baseboard, which in some cases results in an unnaturally deep door frame protruding from the wall. I haven't tried creating a wall with baseboard and then adding a door, so I'm not sure if the door defaults to (width of wall + width of baseboard(s)), but when adding them to an existing room, I had to hand-tweak every door.

In addition, I couldn't get them to work at all with two doors. One was a slightly unusual import from 3DWarehouse: One of the Kolbe models, it's only framed on one side of the model, which may have confused sh3d's automated SVG knock-out creation. The other was sh3d's standard 'door frame' model, which I could never get to knock out the baseboard.

This probably screws up and/or unnecessarily complicates your 'small wall' model, but my preference would be to treat baseboards as having no depth when calculating door or window cut-through. That is, if (depth of door >= wall thickness) then do not display baseboard.

(I'm also fond of leaving the stub end of walls sticking out. At the moment, these aren't baseboarded automatically, but to do so manually is a trivial fix.)

Do you use so many big textures?

I find I'm using them more and more frequently as I try for more photo-realistic renders. Obviously, it's not that huge a hassle to confirm I do want to use an unadvisedly large texture image -- but on the other hand, I can't imagine ever doing so by mistake, so it would be nice to be able to disable this check.

I'll double-check the two issues I reported with modifying items within a group and see if I can reproduce them with the second beta.

Thanks!
Maz

Posted by Puybaret at May 26, 2015, 8:14:06 AM
Mazzola, thanks for your feedback.
I tried again with thin walls and thick walls, and each time the baseboard was correctly cut as expected, whether the wall contains one or more doors with a protruding frame or not.

Treating them as small walls means door depths have to be increased by the depth of the baseboard, which in some cases results in an unnaturally deep door frame protruding from the wall.
No, you shouldn't have to increase the depth of doors and windows. That's one of the reasons why I wrote "baseboards are computed more or less as small walls". wink
Please, describe or send me a case where it didn't work.

I have a thing against rectangular baseboards in real life
I didn't try but maybe, using "baked" texture images that would simulate a shape could make the trick in some cases.

Posted by okh at May 26, 2015, 11:26:57 PM
You can add a baseboard along straight or round walls, choose their height, their thickness, their color/texture or use the same one as the color/texture used for their wall side

Brilliant. Tried with numerous openings, and so far, no glitches.

But I also laugh. I like rectangular skirting boards (aka baseboards, skirting, mopboard) in real life. In a house with ever so many corners I am fed up measuring angles and missing by a mm. Rectangular baseboards fit nicely with no angled corners, can be fixed with a bit of acrylic paste, and tops can be rounded with everyday power-tools. And no, I am way too much of an amateur to have a go at baseboards with strange angles, never mind on arced walls. In real life that is...

As to whether doors need to be adjusted, I suppose if you attribute
doorOrWindowWallThickness#
doorOrWindowWallDistance#

to create a doorframe, the door must be adjusted for thicker or thinner walls if you want to match the baseboard (or vice versa). But that, I guess, would be a different problem - the one apparent in the problem of the open door - one of object scaling when inserted in much thicker or thinner walls.

So, while I see the point with nicely sculptured baseboards, I still think this is a really cool feature. It also opens for two coloured walls and wainscoting. With some clever use of textures the effect of a more elaborate skirting board can be created.

And - with no problems as far as I can tell. Very, very nice.

ok

Posted by mazoola at May 27, 2015, 6:56:11 PM
Emanuel -

With rooms and walls created using the second beta, I couldn't break it: Baseboards worked as advertised.

With a plan created under 4.6 and modified and saved using the first beta, I get this:

Maz

Posted by mazoola at May 27, 2015, 6:58:27 PM
Oh, BTW, 'add point to room' works well and is quite convenient.

Posted by santbose at May 28, 2015, 11:26:19 AM
Everything is working fine in this version 5.0. But when are you planning to launch the downloadable version 5.0 of SH3D. Waiting for the same eagerly.

Thanks

Santanu

Posted by Puybaret at May 28, 2015, 7:35:57 PM
Maz, your bug is really strange. I can't reproduce it and I can't see any reason why older files should behave differently. Please, send me a small file that will help me to reproduce and fix this bug.

Santanu, don't expect the final version 5.0 before weeks. I didn't finish to program the features I want to add, and from past experience, the translation period generally requires at least 2 weeks.

Posted by YGYL at May 31, 2015, 2:28:34 PM
As long as DIY 3D model, you will encounter this problem.

Doors open outwards have a problem

Doors open inwards no problem

Posted by okh at May 31, 2015, 3:49:22 PM
OPENING PROBLEMS
Maybe I do not get the point, but now I have tried with numerous doors and windows. Catalogue ones and different models where I specified the door properties (sash, svg, etc). As far as I can tell, the baseboards work perfectly. Never seen the phenomenon mentioned. Could there be something with the models?

BASEBOARD DIMENSIONS
It seems baseboards are limited to 2 cm thickness, but can be very high (?). If so, I am curious as to the reason. The feature is great and I am planning on using it for panels on the low part of the wall (wainscoting). But it could be equally useful for exterior walls where lowest part of the wall is thicker than the rest: a high, thick foundation.

Either way, a thick wainscot panelling or foundation could be more than 2cm thick. Not crucial as there are ever so many workarounds, but in general the 2 cm limit seems a bit odd.

ok

Posted by hansmex at May 31, 2015, 4:21:08 PM
I also wondered about the two centimetres, but when you allow for thicker baseboards, you also need an additional option to colour or texture the top of them.
Personally, I would love to see both added as extra features.

Hans

Posted by Puybaret at May 31, 2015, 6:08:59 PM
Please, send me your test file.

It seems baseboards are limited to 2 cm thickness, but can be very high (?). If so, I am curious as to the reason.
The reason is that I don't see why a thickness of more than 2 cm should be necessary, and a higher thickness would require an "additional option to colour or texture the top of them" as Hans said.
About the height, it's just that I didn't program any control on it yet. Actually, it should be forbidden to set a higher value for a baseboard height than the wall to which it belongs, so if the user reduces the height of the wall, the baseboard height should start to reduce too as soon as the wall height becomes smaller than the current baseboard height. I admit I was a little lazy on this but I'm going to fix it, even if changing the baseboard height in the back of the user doesn't please me too much (the baseboard height is not visible when the user changes the wall height).

Posted by okh at May 31, 2015, 8:35:33 PM
..don't see why a thickness of more than 2 cm should be necessary, and a higher thickness would require an "additional option to colour or texture the top of them"...
Normal baseboards are, of course, rarely thicker than 2 cm, but now that this option is available, other uses are tempting. Wainscoting, panelling on the lower part of the floor, sometimes more. Wall foundations, sometimes more. But also stranger uses. Around our garden there is a thin wooden fence with a concrete foundation 15 cm thick. Would be perfect to make if baseboards (foundation) could be 10 cm. Another colour on top, well, could be nice, but not a must, and methinks not a reason to keep the 'baseboard' thin. Limit the height, well, yes, I guess, but not really a must either. Anyway, the feature really is nice and I have not found any misbehaviour. ok

Posted by YGYL at Jun 1, 2015, 3:38:25 AM
Message has been sent

I know the problem, and in the south wall of the room area and outside the open door think, it will be a problem

Posted by YGYL at Jun 1, 2015, 4:22:30 AM
tongue   Re: Sweet Home 3D 5.0
Strongly Agree

add a Ceiling plaster line function is better

add Elwvation,Depth,Height,can add multiple times

Posted by okh at Jun 1, 2015, 8:57:04 AM
VIDEO RENDERING
This may have nothing to do with SH3D or 5.0 Beta 2, but when rendering videos beyond a minute or two computing time, on a SH3D file opened from the 64 GB MicroSD, the MicroSD is unmounted and Win semi-hangs telling me to re-insert the disk.

Asus Transformer Book T100
SanDisk Ultra Micro SD XC
Win 8.1 32
Java version 1.8.0_45 / 32 bit / 0.6 GB max

ok

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 3, 2015, 12:57:01 AM
Tonight, the Beta 3 brings a very long awaited feature: layers! smile
Actually, layers are levels at the same elevation, but I change the behavior of these special levels to make them behave more like layers:
- It's possible now to make the objets of a level not viewable with a new checkbox in the level dialog box. When a level is not viewable, the objects added to it are simply not displayed in the furniture list, the plan and the 3D view, and its tab is written with a disable color (i.e. grey in most cases). It's also impossible to add new objects to a not viewable level.

- Until now, levels were sorted in the order of their elevation, then in the reverse order of their height. This second criterion doesn't exist anymore (projects strongly based on this order should need only small changes), and now levels at the same elevation are ordered according to your wish using the new up and down arrows added at the right of levels list. This list is now displayed from top to bottom and is updated while you change values of the edited level.
- To distinguish a level at the same elevation as a previous one, its tab displays in front of its name a new icon showing an equal sign surrounded with a circle.
- To help you create faster a new level at the same elevation as the selected one, the Plan > Add level at same elevation menu item was added and I assigned to this menu the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+N (cmd+shift+N under Mac OS X) which is generally used for layers in other software, and changed the shortcut of Plan > Add level to Ctrl+Alt+N (cmd+alt+N under Mac OS X).

I hope you'll like the way I programmed this new feature. I ran many tests, but please, test this also on your side and don't hesitate to report your opinion about it.

By the way, I think I fixed the bug for some baseboards that weren't cut. Actually, this happened for walls at upper levels. Thanks for insisting.

add a Ceiling plaster line function is better [...]
add Elwvation,Depth,Height,can add multiple times
Sorry, it won't be this time, and just because of the shape of ceiling plasters, I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Posted by hansmex at Jun 3, 2015, 1:13:58 AM
Tomorrow is test time!!!!!
Thanks and good night.

Posted by santbose at Jun 3, 2015, 5:49:48 AM
Now we can create walls as below:
||
||
||
||

Can you put a function by which we can create something like the below:

\\ //
\\ and //
________\\ //________

Posted by dorin at Jun 3, 2015, 8:04:03 AM
I've test it and it's very useful for me.
I put dimensions on this layer and it show when I need.
Also is useful for different variants of furniture arrangement at the same level.
The option popup when 2click on layer tab name or right-click somewhere in the current layer.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law

Posted by dorin at Jun 3, 2015, 8:18:05 AM
I'm very happy for the feature to color text and style.
It will be great to have this included also for the furniture name.
It's useful for additional information in 2DSymbols library.
Thanks for Your great work !
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)

Posted by okh at Jun 3, 2015, 8:51:38 AM
..not viewable with a new checkbox in the level dialog box. When a level is not viewable, the objects added to it are simply not displayed in the furniture list, the plan and the 3D view,
Very nice. Congratulations. So far nothing wrong, but then I need to figure out different things to do with this feature. For now it seems a very cool way of toggling alternative layouts, but the process is (ever so slightly) disturbed by the three step process for hiding and showing the alternatives.

Would it be easier to use if a tab checkbox, right-clicking (or something) the tab toggles visibility? Maybe a context menu on the tabs with "Add level", "Modify level" "Delete level" "Show/hide level". This would de-clutter the 2D plan menu and be easy to use (but I guess following your stringent menu thought and concern about some users not being used to context menus could be an argument against.) Just a thought.

And don't get me wrong. I really like the feature the way you implemented it.

ok

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 3, 2015, 9:51:59 AM
Thanks you all for your feedback smile

The Beta 4 brings some small bugs fixes in the new features: deleting furniture when some levels weren't viewable didn't work correctly, and there was a remaining issue on baseboards cut.

Sorry Santbose, don't hope a rotation parameter to lean walls. I don't think it will happen. If needed see this recent tip.

I'm very happy for the feature to color text and style.
It will be great to have this included also for the furniture name.
The furniture dialog might become too big, no?

Posted by dorin at Jun 3, 2015, 6:31:57 PM
The furniture dialog might become too big, no?

Maybe, but is useful.
Could be used after we decide to show the name in plan by popup the same text and style dialog or in the context menu on "Modifies text and style..." after we create the furniture.
Also could be an icon in toolbar for chose the color of text.
Until this I'm happy to insert separate text box but I can't group it with a furniture to move it together.
Anyway You've made a great program and become greater.
Congratulation!

Posted by hansmex at Jun 3, 2015, 11:01:36 PM
Emmanuel,

While testing the new levels I came across some unexpected behaviour.

This is what I want to do:
Level 1 - draw 4 walls, add windows, draw a room, add baseboards (actually, it's panelling)
Level 2* - delete the walls from L1 and copy them to L2*, add furniture, change wallpaper
Level 3* - delete the walls from L1 and copy them to L3*, add furniture, change wallpaper

* = level at same height as previous one

This way the floor, baseboards/panelling and windows stay the same, but wallpaper and furniture change.

Problem 1 - I can't figure out how to copy the walls to more than one level
Problem 2 - If I manage to copy the walls, they are placed 20 pixels/cms right and down from the original.

Hans

Posted by santbose at Jun 4, 2015, 5:37:08 AM
Thanks Emmanuel for your reply. But I am not looking to create a sloping wall. I am actually looking to create inclined walls. Normally walls are at 90 degree from the ground level, but I want to draw walls where I can adjust its degree from the ground level.....may be 85 degree, 70 degree. I hope I am able to explain my thoughts.

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 4, 2015, 9:23:19 AM
Hans, I'm not sure to understand your problem. If you want to make some wallpaper tests, you should add walls in Level2* and Level3* as in the example attached to this message. Then as walls will superimpose themselves at both levels, you could make Level2* not viewable, to view wallpapers correctly in level3*. You could also play with Level2* / Level3* order to ignore the third level when the second one is selected.
To copy/paste walls at the same location, just unselect them before pasting. The 20cm shift is for feedback purpose: without this "visual" effect, you wouldn't know whether you actually pasted the copied walls or not, since the image of the plan wouldn't change.

Santbose, whether you call it "inclined" or "sloping" wall, I understood what you want, but sorry it won't happen. If you want to build walls that are not 90° from the ground, you'll have to use workarounds. Note that simple ceilings can adjust themselves automatically in some cases, but as this feature doesn't work correctly in many cases and may introduce some artifacts that users generally interpret as a bug, I wonder if I should remove this feature in the coming version or supporting it only for simple ceilings with only 4 points. I'll be glad to read the opinion of everybody about this subject.
Attachment TestingWallpaperWithLevels.sh3d (258644 bytes) (Download count: 1451) (Testing wallpaper on walls playing with viewable attribute of levels)

Posted by hansmex at Jun 4, 2015, 10:06:17 AM
Emmanuel,

Problem of copying walls to levels is solved. After unselecting the walls, they now copy correctly on every level. Thanks.

Small wish: would it be possible that the O= sign to indicate same elevation levels, could also serve as a visible/invisible switch? Standard symbol = visible. Reversed symbol (as in reversed colours) = invisible? So, the switch is incorporated into the tab.

Thanks once again.

Hans

Posted by okh at Jun 4, 2015, 2:14:26 PM
Small wish: would it be possible that the O= sign to indicate same elevation levels, could also serve as a visible/invisible switch? Standard symbol = visible.
- Yes, Show/Hide button/checkbox would be useful on level tabs. For consistency maybe on all the level tabs (as all types of levels can be hidden) not just the 'layers'. Or context menu, as mentioned above.
- And actually, maybe it could be kind of nice to be able to edit the table (Summary of levels) for all different level values. I.e. remove the top fields and just edit the table.
- I feel a bit ambiguous about the O= sign. It sort of comes to denote 'layer', but if you have A level Ground Floor and a level with Plot Dimensions sorted below that (to keep it away from the other levels), The Ground Floor gets the O= sign, logically enough, but it makes the Ground Floor look like a 'layer' on the Dimensions tab. Nothing I cannot get used to, but, well, it looks a bit messy. Maybe a more subtle indication (underscore/italics)...(?) Maybe the reverse, that every level that in fact was above the previous got an up arrow? Or maybe no indication at all?

ok

Posted by digitaltrails at Jun 4, 2015, 9:05:06 PM
The addition of paste-style, baseboards, and editing items within groups,are all really nice additions that will greatly ease the task of creating complex models.

The only small issue I've seen is that baseboards cannot track across the end of a wall that juts into a room, for example:

I imagine this is a difficult case to handle. Fortunately, it's not that common and easily fixed by manually adding a box of the appropriate size.

Your efforts are much appreciated.

Posted by okh at Jun 9, 2015, 11:35:41 AM
Did something happen with Export to OBJ? Even if I Export Selection it seems everything (except ground) is exported. ok

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 9, 2015, 8:04:58 PM
Sorry for the regression in Export to OBJ format feature. A correction will be available in the next beta.

Posted by okh at Jun 9, 2015, 8:30:55 PM
..regression in Export to OBJ format feature..-
Thanks, and no worries. Hardly a problem. It is the first time I have ever come across something in a SH3D beta that impedes (my) usage (albeit not a central one). And that really is impressive. I have done beta tests (of simpler software) that have taken down networks and killed off operating systems for good. Beta testing SH3D is a very safe exercise. Good luck with finalising.
..Add point to room and Delete point from room...
No secret that I would wish for access to more properties in the Modify furniture dialogue (even if it means in interface disturbance). But the room-points editing is an interesting example. Adding SVG cut-outs suddenly became slightly less important. Now it is tempting to adjust the room instead of going back to the Furniture Library Editor and adjust the SVG. Easier just to fix the room. As long as there is no button that lets the user edit the full range of properties. Just one button that opened the text file with properties, now that would be fantastic for users who want control (everyone else could be warned off). ok

Posted by storm88 at Jun 11, 2015, 8:41:51 AM
Great work! I especially love the ability to modify furniture in groups.

- as aleady mentioned, I too would really appreciate faster option to hide/show levels, perhaps doubleclicking the level tab and/or some keyboard shortcut
- keyboard shortcut for switching levels please :) With the layers, one can get loads of them.
- furniture gets disorganized if you group and ungroup furnitures across multiple levels. This is a bug I noticed in earlier versions; grouping them will cause you can see furniture from different levels (somehow expected behavior) but ungrouping them back does not fix the problem. Now since grouping really makes sence, It'd be grat if I could group staff in different levels.

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 11, 2015, 10:49:01 AM
Today, the Beta 5 brings Plan > Make level unviewable / viewable menu item and the ability to add or delete an object in a group. Furniture can be added in the currently selected group either with Furniture > Add to group or Edit > Paste to group menu items. So, if you want to move some furniture to a group, just select that furniture, cut it, select the destination group and choose Paste to group.
I guess you would have loved to be able to do the same thing with a simple drag and drop, but this sounds quite too complicate to manage, just when the moved furniture comes from different levels. Note also that if you delete all the furniture of a group, the group itself will be deleted.
Please, be sure to test this feature, including weird moves and undos/redos. I tested many combinations, but I could have forgotten some special cases.

This new beta fixes also the regression in Export to OBJ format feature, a small bug in the management of selection in groups, and it disallows to change the visibility of objects in a group to avoid a too complicated management of the size and elevation of a partially visible group.

dorin, the fact that you can't group a text with some furniture is a good point to push me to add a Color item in the Modify text style menu. Will see...

digitaltrails, you're right, managing baseboards at wall ends isn't so easy but I keep it in mind in case I find an idea...

okh, I'll try to grant an easier access to special properties in the Furniture Library Editor. Not sure it will happen in the coming version though.

storm88, you can already switch from a layer to another with the keyboard arrows when the focus is on plan tabs. I guess you would prefer direct shortcuts, but using Tab / Shift + Tab keys combination to change focused component isn't too hard.
Don't hope to be able to group furniture that don't belong to the same level, because that would become too complicate. Nevertheless, if you think you found a bug, please describe how to reproduce it so I can fix it.

Posted by storm88 at Jun 11, 2015, 1:54:46 PM
the level switching is odd. (Win 8.1, beta 4) If I click one floor it gets selected but I can't use arrows to switch. I have to ctrl+up to highlight the levels (should already be highlighted because I clicked one that was not active) and then I can switch them with arrows. I was hoping ctrl+pg up/down could work, browsers use this shortcut.

the groups bug:
make 4 walls. add new level (differen height) and copy walls. Place a piece furniture to each level, each to different coordinates. Select level 0. Select both furniture and group them. Ungroup them.
Now in the 3d view everything looks OK, but in the plan view, on level 0 I see both the furniture from level 0 and level 1, although I should only see the one from level 0.

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 11, 2015, 2:24:41 PM
Sorry, the keys combination used to change focused component are Tab / Shift + Tab (I updated my previous message to avoid confusion). I'll see if I can add ctrl + page up / ctrl + page down and how it's used in other software.

About the groups bug, there's... no bug. As grouping pieces create a group at the selected level, ungrouping the group then keeps the pieces on the level of their group. Only undoing will be able to retrieve the same state. As said previously, I won't manage grouped furniture that don't belong to the same level.

Posted by okh at Jun 12, 2015, 8:31:08 AM
Please, be sure to test this feature, including weird moves and undos/redos.
Cut / paste does seem a bit erratic. Cut option appears to come and go in menus (as opposed to Copy?). Trying to cut an item which is in the Furniture list just underneath group, up to group. The item is cut, but then the names of the two items in the group also vanish from the list (the dimension values are still there). When I select group to paste my cut object, there is no paste to group option.

Sorry for the vageue description, but I sort of don't get it to be consistent either. Will test some more. Sent you file and pics.

ok

Acer Transformerbook
Win 8.1 Java 1.8.0_45 / 32 bit / 0.6 GB ma

Posted by YGYL at Jun 12, 2015, 3:30:32 PM
Different levels of group&ungroup Furniture problems, though not a big problem, but it should be corrected

I put A furniture on the first floor, second floor put B Furniture
Under normal circumstances it should be like this
Level1A

and Level 2B

2B Furniture is

original JPG
Then group 1A&2B like this

and

2B is Change

original JPG

Then ungroup 1A&2B like this,on Level 1A can see 2B

To solve this problem should not be too complicated:

then group, Record (2B) original ELEVATION

Then ungroup,Add a command, again the furniture back to its original floor.and set (2B) ELEVATION=original ELEVATION

Posted by remib at Jun 13, 2015, 11:15:13 AM
After a brief testing, all improvements seems great.

Here is a few thoughts :
- layers are great once understood the concept that "base or original level" is visible in every other "same elevation level".

- There is a coquille in the edit box french version "visble" checkbox.

- The ability to show text in 3D is also a good improvement. However, it would be so nice if we could do the same with measurement rulers to show someone in 3D sketch at wich height is a window and how tall is it, same as kitchen furnitures and almost everything.
By the way, I think an unvisible layer is now the perfect holder for every 3D view text info.

- I guess it would be good to have a function to group and organise levels now we have layers.

- Also, a little searchfield by name above furnitures could be someting nice too.

R.

Posted by okh at Jun 13, 2015, 2:31:08 PM
- Also, a little searchfield by name above furnitures could be someting nice too.
Did you try Preferences Furniture catalog view set to Searchable list? ok

Posted by remib at Jun 13, 2015, 3:56:39 PM
Indeed, no. But I would find cool to have it in the folder mode too ;)

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 13, 2015, 4:08:37 PM
okh, thanks for reporting the issue in furniture table, it should be fixed in Beta 6.

YGYL, thank you for taking the time to describe your issue.
But keep in mind that good ergonomics = predictable result. I don't think your idea is good because original elevation and level (you forget that one) would be hidden information, i.e. something you can't guess. Imagine you give your .sh3d file to someone else, how can he predict that the table will belong to level 2B if he ungroups the group?

remib, I fixed the typo on "visble" checkbox.
Levels are organized by elevation and then the order you set in their modification dialog box, so just modify a level to change that order. I don't think grouping layers will happen anytime soon.

Posted by okh at Jun 13, 2015, 4:50:02 PM
okh, thanks for reporting the issue in furniture table, it should be fixed in Beta 6.
Thanks, but I am still struggling. Now, in the file I sent you, if I CUT the garden hedge into the GROUP, the Vegetation GROUP closes and cannot be opened with the plus sign. And I cannot find a way of opening it to paste the garden hedge (Paste to group is greyed out for Vegetation). But I do manage to paste the Garden hedge to the Roof GROOP. After careful consideration, though, I think having the Garden hedge on the roof is a sub-optimal solution smile

But maybe my file is messed up, I will try again tomorrow. ok

Posted by okh at Jun 14, 2015, 9:07:35 AM
.. cannot find a way of opening it to paste the garden hedge (Paste to group is greyed
But maybe my file is messed up, I will try again
Most strange, cannot recreate this today (after having restarted everything). Will let you know if it happens again.

Would it be a good idea to include an invisible texture in the collection while you are at it? Don't know what happened in 5951#25821, but transparent textures is a good way of hiding furniture elements until transparency can be implemented in the colour dialogue.

ok

Posted by YGYL at Jun 14, 2015, 2:21:48 PM
You may not understand what I mean
To solve the problem, the need to increase the data structure

You may originally have 14 parameters.(width\depth\height\elevation\)
You can increase the number of multi-parameter(Original level\Original elevation\Additional parameters1\Additional parameters2\Additional parameters3)

Each furniture has these parameters.and These parameters are stored in the .sh3d file.
When the group will record the parameters,When the ungroup will load the parameters.So will not go wrong!

Additional parameters1/2/3 It is reserved for the secondary development
For example, show price, show brand, or IN GAME:HP, MP, falling equipment

Posted by okh at Jun 15, 2015, 12:04:57 PM
Tonight, the Beta 3 brings a very long awaited feature: layers!
Actually, layers are levels at the same elevation,
With two levels same elevation - which both have textured/coloured floors, it seems the 'lower' texture shines through in the 2D plan and takes precedence in the 3D plan (if added later). Is that intended? ok

Posted by mazoola at Jun 16, 2015, 2:54:57 AM
It only just now dawned on me the web launcher always loads the most recent beta, so my careful attempts to isolate, say, Beta2 from Beta6 were pointless. Explains a few things, though...

I'm sorry to see the 'visible and invisible objects in group' feature I was so happy to find in Beta2 disappear in more recent versions. straight face I like being able to group together a large batch of light sources and fine tune them without having to ungroup them first -- and risk having them sprinkled across the plan. It was also nice to be able to make the entire group invisible, even if later making it visible made all the objects in the group visible, as well.

I've been fighting a perplexing problem regarding wall heights, but finally stumbled across what I think is a workaround, at least. [I take that back: it's *partially* a workaround.] And, of course, I can't duplicate it in a test plan -- only in my production file. Basically, a split wall sloping upwards from 4' to 10' across one segment and downwards from 10' to 4' on the second actually slopes from 4' to (10' + floor thickness) on segment one and from 10' to (4' + floor thickness) on segment two; that is, whenever a wall slopes, the 'height at end' is equal to the requested height plus the current floor thickness. This problem seemingly first appeared with Beta6 (possibly Beta5) and now affects all sloping walls in my plan. Again, though, I can't duplicate this in a file created under Beta6.

Maz

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 16, 2015, 8:57:05 AM
With two levels same elevation - which both have textured/coloured floors, it seems the 'lower' texture shines through in the 2D plan and takes precedence in the 3D plan (if added later). Is that intended? ok
In the layer logic, it's not intented and should be fixed in Beta 7. I also changed the JNLP file to avoid some "delayed" updates that I experienced and that could explain why you thought that the Beta 6 didn't fix the bug in the furniture table.

mazoola, sorry, I don't want to spend too much time on managing Beta differences. Java Web Start is surely not perfect on this point, but it's much easier for me to manage.
I'm sorry to see the 'visible and invisible objects in group' feature I was so happy to find in Beta2 disappear in more recent versions. I like being able to group together a large batch of light sources and fine tune them without having to ungroup them first [...]
I removed this feature, because I didn't want to wonder whether the size and position of a group should be updated when one of its item is made invisible, moreover because it's possible to resize the group itself. Imagine the following scenario: you group 3 pieces of furniture and make one invisible in the group. Then, should the size and position of the group should be the size of the visible pieces only? What should happen to the invisible piece if the user resize the group? Not easy to answer, if you want a consistent behavior...
But your case is interesting and I wonder if I should go back or not. To prevent the problem I explained, I could for example forbid to resize a group with partially visible pieces. But how the beginners could guess when the group is resizable or not? confused

About your wall heights issue, I don't think there was some recent changes on this subject recently. The height of wall at a given level is actually the height given in its dialog box + the thickness of the level, if that level is not the lowest one.

Posted by mazoola at Jun 16, 2015, 9:25:57 AM
Not complaining about the web start, just commenting on my remarkable cluelessness for so long. smile

With Beta7, whatever you didn't do to wall heights in Beta6 got undone: They behave as anticipated. I suspect I'm doing things to sh3d I shouldn't -- including models with far too many triangles, perhaps -- because I keep running into such weirdness as misbehaving sloping walls or doorway-spanning baseboards. (I haven't been able to generate any sort of render for a while, now, presumably for lack of memory; I assume I'll have to chop the plan into individual floors and render in pieces, again. I'd hoped moving to 64-bit OS would fix the problem, but to no avail. BTW, under Windows 10, sh3d never seems to identify the architecture correctly and always sets up for a 640 Mb heap. I finally edited the jnlp file to force a 2Gb heap, but I'm not sure if the appropriate 3D library is loading.)

At this point, I don't remember how you treated invisible members of a partially visible group in earlier versions of the beta; however you did didn't seem all that confusing to me. I think you ignored them -- that is, you sized the group box to fit only the visible members. Actually, I'm pretty sure you did; typically, I was disabling members in the center of the group, but I seem to recall having the group box expand and contract as I activated/deactivated items on its periphery. As I said, it didn't seem all that confusing to me -- but I was using it for a narrowly defined application. And, frankly, it's never occurred to me to resize a group, so I never stumbled across that potentially confusing situation....

Maz

Posted by okh at Jun 16, 2015, 3:29:06 PM
two levels same elevation - which both have textured/coloured floors, it seems the 'lower' texture shines through in the 2D plan and takes precedence in the 3D plan (if added later).
In the layer logic, it's not intented and should be fixed in Beta 7
In the 3D pane, the 'upper' texture now covers the lower. In the 2D pane, there is still a bleed-through of textures from two rooms on different levels, same elevation, which I don't mind. But what could be slightly confusing, is that when the 'upper' level is active, it is still possible to edit the geometry of the rooms on both same-elevation levels. Probably not a big problem in practice. But if a separate 'layer' is kept for dimensions, including a 'room' for the entire building, there may confusion if someone thinks they are editing the rooms on the 'layer' above (but manage to move points for the room for the entire building).

I have been cutting and pasting like crazy, styles, groups. Everything works perfectly as far as I can tell. I see that if an object from one level is copied to a group on another level, the level is kept. I.e. the object is not moved. This is probably the way it should be. However, it also means that it is possible to have the group on one level, and all the group elements on another level. So the group could be on a hidden level, disappear from the 2D pane and the furniture list, but the elements still be visible in the 3D view. Not sure it matters, but cross-level groups is a bit dangerous (but then, I learnt early to avoid that in order not to confuse myself).

As usual, your attention to detail is greatly appreciated. Will keep trying to find stuff (probably increasing confusion instead of helping, professional problem I guess). So bottom line is that, honestly, there is nothing in Beta 7 so far that I cannot live with. In fact, I edit my serious projects in the beta versions without worry. All in all - v 5.0 is really looking good, very nice improvements.

ok

Posted by SnakeGB at Jun 16, 2015, 5:57:25 PM

i get this (green circles) when creating 3d text
a line above text and "M" at the end is vanishing

also but this maybe my pc
I cannot create best photos just comes up with arrows then empty box on save

Posted by storm88 at Jun 19, 2015, 9:03:33 PM
Plase add option to print (and export to PDF) multiple levels at once (preferably only those visible)
also requested here: http://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/feature-requests/607/

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 23, 2015, 9:01:29 PM
Tonight, the Beta 8 brings the ability to draw free polylines, with various line options.
As the new Plan > Create polylines menu item will sum up how to use it, I let you discover this new feature by yourself. If you want to perform a quick test, you can also download the file attached to this email.

Hope you'll like it! smile
Attachment PolylinesTest.sh3d (3436 bytes) (Download count: 657) (Some examples of polylines)

Posted by okh at Jun 23, 2015, 9:32:24 PM
You've been busy smile Cannot wait to try polylines and text. Congrats. Go rest - it is - according to sun simulation - the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere. ok

Posted by YGYL at Jun 24, 2015, 2:26:26 AM
Very good!
If it can show in 3D is better.
If it can support a line from thin to thick is better.

Posted by santbose at Jun 24, 2015, 6:24:31 AM
Very Good.
I also second YGYL for his second point regarding the visibility of the polyline in 3D also. It will then almost solve my problem of drawing game line marking of various sports fields and courts like Basketball, Tennis, Football, Soccer etc. I feel it will not be very difficult for you Puybaret. Thanks in advance.

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 24, 2015, 10:28:49 AM
Thanks for your feedback. Sorry, I don't think I'll add 3D support for polylines in the coming version. It's not so easy and there are workarounds.

I just released the Beta 9 to fix an annoying bug that prevented to select polylines which belong to the default level, once you add a level in the home (there was no problem is the home to which you added polylines had already some levels). Hope nobody encountered this issue!
It fixes also the issue in 3D texts displaying an italic font reported by SnakeGB.

Posted by storm88 at Jun 24, 2015, 10:51:59 AM
Grat work Puybaret!

I noticed a bug: when you have multiple levels and areal view and "select all levels" the 3D view will not zoom to currently selected level, but keeps zoom to upper level. in 4.x this worked correctly

Posted by okh at Jun 24, 2015, 12:38:08 PM
Yes, great. Would not mind export selection only to SVG, but it is of course easy to copy to an empty file.

FYI: As for fonts, I do not worry too much. Kind of would have liked html formatting (for myself, that is - I guess it would be fairly useless for most users). A pleasant surprise was that characters like: ° ± © ™ ª « ¬ ® work well. Some however, display only in 3d view, like: ↑ ∼ ∠ ♣. I also noticed:
1) Symbol (alternate char) fonts do not display (2d&3d).
2) Long strings make 3d font quality deteriorate.
Not going to pose any problems for me in practice.

ok

Win 8.1
Version 5.0 Beta 9 Java version 1.8.0_45 / 32 bit / 0.6 GB max

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 24, 2015, 6:11:32 PM
The Beta 10 improves font rendering in the 3D view. Now the size of the generated texture image is always between 256² and 512² pixels, so if the text size is small, its texture image will be still not too small in the 3D view, and if the text is very long, the width and height of its texture image will be computed in a way their product is at worse 512² (which already requires 1 MB in memory!). In the previous version, the quality deteriorated quickly with the length of the text because the longest size (width or height) was never larger than 512 pixels.
A text with ↑ ∼ ∠ ♣ symbols was correctly displayed in the plan and the 3D view on my side. I guess your issue as well as the one with Symbol characters might depend on the font you use and the system. Just for the fun, I tried to render this small text with the photo creation tool. wink

SnakeGB, I hope the two issues you reported on 3D texts will work better now (I noticed that from far away, letters like g, p, q... with a drawing below text baseline may still generate a small artifact at the top of the 3D text, but I'm not sure I can still improve it).

Posted by okh at Jun 24, 2015, 10:17:51 PM
Very good. Nice render.
512²
More than enough. For longer texts one would probably use several text boxes anyway.
I guess your issue as well as the one with Symbol characters might depend on the font you use and the system.
Fonts, copyright and system differences really is a history to itself. In a drawing (and in the forum, amazingly, at least with my browser font set) these relatively standard characters seem to be pretty universal with many fonts:
² ³ ¼ ½ ¾ ° © ™ ® § × ÷ ± √ ∼
← ↑ → ↓ ↔ ↵ ∠ ∑ ⊕ ⊗

Which again means, lots of information like arrows can now be displayed in the 3D window just using (larger font) text: → --› --->
Pretty nice and may even cover most needs (mine, anyway). With the right font, wall symbols get even better. Nice.

However, a tool-tip with angle and distance on the dimensions tool, maybe even also angle relative to North, would be even better for actual construction, though. Especially as the number on the dimension line now is often out of the screen when positioning exactly. But maybe that is just me having spent too much time with maps smile

ok

Posted by YGYL at Jun 25, 2015, 4:33:08 AM
The original image
Useful when Level 3 and Level 4 rendering

Posted by okh at Jun 25, 2015, 9:09:34 AM
Modifier key assignment and Create polylines tip:

I like the implementation of lines and curving.

In the Create polylines tip it says: ..if you press alt key while drawing the first segment, a curve will be created... I may be missing something here, but shouldn't it say: .. if you press CTRL-click to end the first segment, a curve will be created... ?

Here CTRL curves a polyline (just like a wall), but there is something strange with magnetism - SHIFT toggles magnetism for polylines, and ALT does not seem to be doing anything for Polylines.

ok

Version 5.0 Beta 10 Java version 1.8.0_45 / 32 bit / 0.6 GB max

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 25, 2015, 9:54:21 AM
Thanks OK for your deep review. I actually wrote the tip for Mac OS X, and forgot to mention that under Windows, the Ctrl key should be used to force the creation of a curved polyline, rather than the alt key. The fixed tip will appear in the next Beta.
Note also that the "control" points of the curve are not editable for simplification purpose, but their location are computed in such a way that if you draw a closed square, the resulting curve will be a circle. This tip should avoid to add an other tool able to draw circles and ellipses.

Posted by okh at Jun 25, 2015, 11:42:48 AM
Yes, the curve implementation is good. Much simpler without the Bézier control points.

As for the fonts, I did a little experiment. I fear the symbols/fonts may not survive in a transition between platforms (or are there native Java fonts that would work?).

My test became pretty messy, I tried using multiple same elevation levels, but must get used to how best to work this to switch between normal and construction elements (and then I really do not know how to do technical drawings in the first place).

ok

Test file: test_symbol_drawing.sh3d

Result (pretty messy, but shows concept):

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 1, 2015, 9:38:17 PM
The Beta 11 brings the support for $level variable in the print setup dialog box, to print the name of the current level (thanks to Stefan idea). I wanted to add also the ability to select the printed levels, but finally stopped the development of new features, because this feature isn't so easy to program and I think I shouldn't wait longer to release version 5.0. So now, it's time for translating the new features, and probably adjusting a few things that won't modify the words in the user interface. By advance, thanks to the contributors who help for this translation. smile

Posted by SnakeGB at Jul 3, 2015, 11:28:25 PM
The Beta 10 improves font rendering in the 3D view. Now the size of the generated texture image is always between 256² and 512² pixels, so if the text size is small, its texture image will be still not too small in the 3D view, and if the text is very long, the width and height of its texture image will be computed in a way their product is at worse 512² (which already requires 1 MB in memory!). In the previous version, the quality deteriorated quickly with the length of the text because the longest size (width or height) was never larger than 512 pixels.
A text with ↑ ∼ ∠ ♣ symbols was correctly displayed in the plan and the 3D view on my side. I guess your issue as well as the one with Symbol characters might depend on the font you use and the system. Just for the fun, I tried to render this small text with the photo creation tool. wink

SnakeGB, I hope the two issues you reported on 3D texts will work better now (I noticed that from far away, letters like g, p, q... with a drawing below text baseline may still generate a small artifact at the top of the 3D text, but I'm not sure I can still improve it).

Yes fonts working great now, pollylines are a great feture when planning applause

Posted by mazoola at Jul 8, 2015, 7:11:54 AM
Here's a problem I've been having since Beta 4 (?), as demonstrated in Beta 12. (No demo file, as it's easier to create your own than download mine.)

1. Create sloping wall. Here I have two, the first sloping from 4 units to 6, the second from 6 units to 4. Texture on wall alternates colors every 1 unit. To make the bug easier to see, on the left hand wall I've defined a baseboard 4 units high with a different texture in 1-unit bands.

2. Add another level.

3. Return to your original level and change its elevation to something other than 0. (In this instance, I set it to 1 unit.) This enables a floor for the level.

Note what happens to the ending height of sloping walls.

(Note: The uneven vertical edges are seemingly an artifact of the surprisingly bad antialiasing -- note the jagged diagonal edges, as well.)

Thanks,
maz

Posted by santbose at Jul 8, 2015, 9:32:16 AM
Just can't wait any longer for the version 5.0, with so many exciting features.

Posted by mazoola at Jul 8, 2015, 4:10:43 PM
I should clarify by 'surprisingly bad antialiasing' I meant 'surprising because I'd never noticed any problems with it in actual production renders.' I may have stumbled across a not-so-sweet-spot: Just the right combination of resolution, focal length, and object geometry to cause problems.

Posted by mazoola at Jul 8, 2015, 7:29:27 PM
This was a problem in 4.6, and it remains in the 5.0 beta. I first came across it while trying to fake a lightbulb in a hanging fixture, but it shows up in other circumstances, as well.

The easiest demonstration is using a light source and a sphere on which I've mapped a partially transparent PNG as a texture. This is the situation where I first came across the bug.

1. 'Baseline' render of light source alone. Light at 1-inch diameter and 3-foot elevation, with a small square floor at 0 elevation.

2. Light source and sphere concentric, both with 2-inch diameter and 3-foot elevation. Sphere is not illuminated by light source; light is not filtered by sphere texture.

3. Light source and sphere concentric. Light has 2-inch diameter and is at 3' 1/8" elevation. Sphere has 2.25-inch diameter and is at 3-foot elevation. Light source is filtered by sphere texture (IIRC, 30% transparent PNG).

Note dark rectangular artifact in center of image.

This second example demonstrates a similar issue using a flat translucent filter a various distances from a light source.

1. Basic set-up: Light 'fixture' is a half-sphere modeled in Sketchup. Fixture is 5 inches in diameter at 3-foot elevation. 'Inside' the fixture is a white light source at 1-inch diameter, aligned with the fixture on X and Y axes, with an elevation of 3' 1". Filter is also aligned on X and Y; it measures 6 inches on a side and is 1/8-inch deep. A partially transparent PNG has been mapped against the filter object as a texture. (Not visible here is a square floor at 0 elevation.)

2. 'Baseline' render, with filter at 2' 8" elevation. (Oddly, this image does not display the expected bug.)

3. Filter at 2' 0" elevation. No bug.

4. When filter is raised to 2' 2", the expected block of projected filtered light (as seen in the previous image) is somehow blocked by dark rectangular artifact.

5. At elevation of 2' 6", artifact still exists; projected block of filtered light is larger than artifact and can be seen as colored fringe outside of artifact.

6. At elevation of 2' 9", artifact remains, with filtered block increasing in size.

7. Filter elevated to 2' 11-7/8", bringing top face of filter into contact with fixture. (In other words, all light visible from light source must pass through the filter.) Note increasingly artificial appearance of artifact. (That is, in comparison with images 5 and 6, where the artifact seems more like a failed scene element than a clearly extraneous glitch.)

8. 'Nighttime' variant on render 7, clearly demonstrating artifact.

A few more examples. Without going into too much detail, these are test renders I generated a couple of months ago while experimenting with the use of translucent gradients to create directionally variable lights.

For instance, in the left-most image, all four fixtures contain concentric spheres and light sources, with the diameter of the light sources 98% that of the spheres. All spheres have translucent white textures; however, the two on the left have a uniformly 50% transparent texture, while the two on the right have a gradient ranging from 50% transparent down to 15% and back, with the gradient oriented so the area of greatest opacity is between the light source and the wall at the back of the scene. As you can see, the two lights with gradient textures do not 'burn out' as badly as the two with uniform textures while casting a comparable amount of light in other directions. (Note the reflection in the surface below the lights.)

However, what's important here is *not* my oh-so-clever use of gradient textures wink ; instead, it's our old friend the Artifact that seemingly appears whenever a light source is completely enclosed in or blocked by other objects.

The other two images show similar issues.

Thanks,
Maz

Posted by hansmex at Jul 8, 2015, 8:19:07 PM
Maz,

Interesting story. But a bit hard to follow without the sh3d file. Can you share it?

Thanks in advance,

Hans

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 8, 2015, 10:16:45 PM
Tonight, the Beta 13 brings updated translations in Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Japanese, Russian, Bulgarian, Greek, German, Czech, Italian and Spanish. It also brings updated help in English and French and fixes the regression reported by Mazoola about sloping walls (thanks for the details!).

Posted by mazoola at Jul 9, 2015, 4:06:49 AM
fixes the regression reported by Mazoola about sloping walls (thanks for the details!).

It just took me a while to figure out when it did and did not display this behavior. wink

But a bit hard to follow without the sh3d file. Can you share it?

Hans -- Not sure which sh3d file you mean, but they're both (all?) small. I'll try to get them online when I get back to the house later tonight.

Maz

Posted by YGYL at Jul 10, 2015, 11:00:06 AM
Some Chinese translation needs change

Original Picture
change to
在平面图中连续点击鼠标左键,定义折线的起点、端点和终点。双击或者鼠标右键取消可完成定义。然后可以鼠标双击折线进入样式选择。按住Ctrl(MAC下是alt)将画曲线。画线段的时候按下回车键可以输入长度数
字。

Original Picture
墙壁基板 change to 墙裙
增加基板 change to 增加墙裙
墙边颜色和纹理 change to 墙裙颜色和纹理

Original Picture
创建曲线 change to 创建折线和曲线

Original Picture
联接样式 change to 转折点样式
联接样式 (2)change to 线段样式

增加点到房间 change to 增加房间区域节点
来自房间删除点 change to 删除房间区域节点

Posted by redhawk07 at Jul 12, 2015, 4:36:48 PM
GREAT progress so far :-)

One more wish for this release:
In the font selection dropdown for text elements, please create an additional entry to set the font to the PROGRAM default font.

Currently there's only the option to use the system default font. Now that you have a program default font, this should be possible to use also by default for texts.

Posted by mazoola at Jul 12, 2015, 9:00:17 PM
With current (14?) beta, after I add a piece of furniture to the plan, if I immediately select it in the 'home furniture' list and double-click, the 'modify furniture' window for the item immediately above the selected one opens. This is pretty much universal for the plans I've edited so far, but I've not yet tried it with a brand-new plan as a test. (To correct, I've been making the item *below* the desired one in the list invisible and visible again; when I next select the desired item, its 'modify furniture' window appears, as expected.)

Thanks,
Maz

Posted by mazoola at Jul 13, 2015, 12:36:43 PM
Hans -

here are a couple scene files that demonstrate the rendering issues I mentioned a few days ago. With luck, it's something I'm doing wrong. wink

First is the file for the last image from my previous post, the one with the four lighting fixtures. (The scene file contains a model from 3DWarehouse, which appears to be permitted under the terms of their General Model License Agreement as of 18 March 2015.) It's a good thing you asked for the scene file, as I'd evidently forgotten exactly what it included.

Here, each fixture contains a sphere (with what I think is a 50% translucent white PNG mapped as a texture) representing a light bulb. Inside that sphere (concentric, but with a smaller radius) is a low-output (2%) light source whose sole purpose is to illuminate the 'bulb.' Outside the sphere (concentric, larger radius) is another light source that lights the scene itself. The two fixtures to the left in the image below have a 3" sphere for the bulb, lit from within by a 2.75" white light source at 2%, and surrounded by a 3.125" white light source at 15%. I have disabled the internal light source for the second fixture from the left to show how the 'bulb' disappears.

The two fixtures on the right are the same as those on the left, except they have a slightly larger sphere (3.375") surrounding the outer light source. This additional sphere has a white PNG with a gradient transparency ranging from 15% to 50% mapped to it; the sphere is aligned so its most opaque portion lies between the light source and the wall at the back of the scene. Most likely, I could eliminate the internal 'bulb' sphere and light source, downsize the gradient, and let the gradient serve as my bulb -- but the render artifact makes that a moot point.

...except that, here, it doesn't: There doesn't seem to be a visible artifact in this render using Beta 15.

...except that it reappears when rendered at other sizes. For instance, here's the same image, rendered using the same settings -- only generated at a width of 300 pixels rather than 400.

I evidently didn't save the scene file for the other test from my previous post, so I had to slap one together. I think it's essentially the same as the original.

However, while running a few test renders with it, I discovered something interesting. The following are all renders of the same scene; the only difference is the aspect ratio as selected by the 'apply proportions' drop-down. All were rendered at 400 pixels width, with proportions of, left to right, '3D view,' '4/3,' '16/9,' and 'Square.'

Thanks,
Maz

Posted by hansmex at Jul 13, 2015, 2:25:10 PM
Maz,

Second part first.
When I replace the bluetint box with the transparant glassblutint box (in List Attachments) the shadow disappears. This makes me think there is some kind of error in the model or the texture you used. This suspicion is strengthened by the fact that the green/black doesn't always appear, and not always in the same spot.
Sketchup models (DAE) are known to produce this kind of behaviour when textures are not applied to both sides, when SH3D cannot decide which side has the texture.

Posted by mazoola at Jul 14, 2015, 10:50:01 AM
Hans -

Hmmm... Interesting. The box actually is the blutint box, only with a partially transparent PNG mapped as a texture. I went with the PNg because in the instance where I discovered the glitch, I was using an actual image and not just a color field. There are several times I'd like to have used something similar, from 'cells' in a glass brick to a color-shift transient in imitation of an LED wall-washer. I went to a simple color field to simplify things for the demo.

You're right, though: The success of the blutint is interesting. I'm about to head to the other side of the country to help my mother (at 92) recuperate from a broken leg, but once I get settled in, I'll starting picking at it.

Thanks,
Maz

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 14, 2015, 8:20:32 PM
The Beta 17 brings updated Chinese translations, as well as Bulgarian, Brazilian Portuguese, Vietnamese updates. It also includes Dutch version without the need of a sh3l plugin (you'll have to remove Dutch-4.6.sh3l file to view the translation of version 5).

In the font selection dropdown for text elements, please create an additional entry to set the font to the PROGRAM default font.
redhawk07, I guess you mean the font set in preferences, so that would be rather Preferences default font. Nice idea, but sorry that would require to be translated and I won't run a new translation cycle just for this.

Mazoola, I didn't succeed to reproduce your issue about furniture selection. If ever you find an other way to reproduce it, I would be pleased to test again. Hope it's not really annoying.
About your rendering problem, it recalls me an old issue on textures transparency (too bad the images are gone in the linked message). Unfortunately, I fear it would be very hard for me to fix because I'm not the author of the rendering engine (even if I used to fix a few bugs in it).
Good luck with your mum! All my best wishes for her recovery.

OKH, the levels tab contextual menu you proposed is a nice idea, but the levels tab are not visible at start. So there would be a need to split the plan contextual menu as soon as a level is added. Not very easy to handle, but I keep the idea in mind.

Posted by YGYL at Jul 16, 2015, 1:24:21 PM
NEW BUG 2 > □
Original Picture

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 16, 2015, 4:41:53 PM
It's probably the character "²" that is missing in the font you chose.

Posted by YGYL at Jul 17, 2015, 2:52:15 AM
If you can ,then not find "²" in the font,specify a default "²" would be better.

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 17, 2015, 10:58:59 PM
I wanted to release Sweet Home 3D 5.0 tonight, but can't tag the version in the source code and can't upload installers on SourceForge.net because most of their services have been down for almost one day!
That's why I prefer to host the released files on sweethome3d.com for the moment.
You can download them with the following links:
SweetHome3D-5.0-windows.exe
SweetHome3D-5.0-macosx.dmg
SweetHome3D-5.0-linux-x86.tgz
SweetHome3D-5.0-linux-x64.tgz
SweetHome3D-5.0.jar
Once SourceForge.net will be repaired, I'll upload these files there and will make the release more official on sweethome3d.com.
Thanks for your patience...

Posted by hansmex at Jul 17, 2015, 11:03:28 PM
Thank you once again for a great job !!

H

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 19, 2015, 11:47:44 PM
As upload service won't still be available on SourceForge.net before a while, I officially released Sweet Home 3D 5.0 files on sweethome3d.com tonight.

Released files will be copied at SourceForge.net, once their service will be back.

Note that the files I released two days ago were updated under the same name at 19:23 CEST on July 19, to fix a bug I found on the visibility of doors and windows in layers lower than the one they belong to. Sorry for any inconvenience redownload may cause.

Thanks for your tests and your great support! smile

Posted by YGYL at Jul 21, 2015, 2:44:22 AM
From the old version to the present, there has been a translation error
Original Picture

新建墙体厚度(F) change to 新建楼层的楼板默认厚度(F)

Posted by yancan at Jul 29, 2015, 4:05:20 PM
Hello Emmanuel,
great piece of software by the way!
Do you have any idea when the portable version of V5.0 will be made available?
Best regards.

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 30, 2015, 9:49:00 AM
Probably not before mid August. The missing data are some sh3l additionnal translations that contributors might have difficulties to update because of SourceForge problems with CVS and other repository features.
But you can update the existing portable version 4.6 to 5.0 by yourself: download one of the Linux installers of version 5.0, uncompress it to get the lib/SweetHome3D.jar file it contains, then replace the file with the same name in the portable version with the 5.0 version file you extracted. That's all!

Posted by yancan at Jul 30, 2015, 5:55:30 PM
Merci beaucoup pour cette technique d'upgrade manuelle !
Cordialement.

Posted by Puybaret at Aug 1, 2015, 3:05:16 PM
SourceForge.net was finally repaired today, and you can now download version 5.0 files from their server. smile
Thanks to SourceForge.net team for their hard work!

Posted by jubcheng at Aug 5, 2015, 1:30:08 PM
....... can somebody tell me where I can download Sweet Home 3D 5.0 Portable ?

I can't find it .......

Posted by Puybaret at Aug 5, 2015, 3:06:48 PM
Go 3 messages back in this thread and you'll get the information you search...

Posted by jubcheng at Aug 5, 2015, 8:36:56 PM
....... sorry, for being stupid, but I still can't find it 3 pages back.
Is there a portable version 5.0 available ?
If yes where can I download it ?
Sorry again and thanks in advance for any help .......

Posted by Puybaret at Aug 5, 2015, 11:56:40 PM
The portable version will be available later.

Posted by Puybaret at Aug 31, 2015, 9:22:39 AM
The portable version 5.0 was released today. Thanks for your patience.