Print at Sep 25, 2022, 6:07:53 PM
Posted by Puybaret at Apr 4, 2014, 2:09:34 PM
Sweet Home 3D 4.4
Hi,

Here's a beta version of Sweet Home 3D 4.4 that you can test.
This version contains the following new features:
- an improved texture chooser with a tooltip displaying the texture under the cursor at a larger size, a search text field to filter textures list, the ability to rotate textures and a list of the chosen textures recently used during last session

- in the materials choice pane, the shapes using the selected material now blink in the 3D preview, and the 3D preview displays modified textures at the good scale when the default size of the 3D model is very small
- improvements in SunFlow to avoid black dots more often and support transparent textures better
- new Edit > Select all at all levels menu item with feedback in level tabs showing level names outlined with selection color (while all levels selection is active, it's possible to unselect / reselect objects with shift key in the plan, move selected objects but not duplicate them)

- new dropOnTopElevation property to place objects on others at a preferred elevation (for trees, sinks, shelves, chairs...)
- new Furniture > Reset elevation menu item to reset the elevation of an object when you move it around
- KMZ file format support (even if it's just a ZIP file containing a DAE file, now it's selectable in file choosers and drag & drop)

To test the dropOnTopElevation property, be sure to use the new version 1.4 of the furniture libraries that you can download with the following links:
3DModels-BlendSwap-CC-0-1.4.zip
3DModels-BlendSwap-CC-BY-1.4.zip
3DModels-Contributions-1.4.zip
3DModels-KatorLegaz-1.4.zip
3DModels-LucaPresidente-1.4.zip
3DModels-Reallusion-1.4.zip
3DModels-Scopia-1.4.zip
3DModels-Trees-1.4.zip

Please also try if SunFlow works better for you, and don't hesitate to report any issue.
You can test the transparency on texture with this new curtain that will be released in next version of furniture libraries.

[Notes from developer:
- updated links to furniture libraries]
- Sweet Home 3D 4.4 was released on June 12, 2014]
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer

Posted by hansmex at Apr 4, 2014, 2:35:47 PM
smile   Re: Sweet Home 3D 4.4
Applause, applause!!
Texture selection has been on my wishlist for a long time. Thank you!!
Will test as much as I can and report any issues.

THANKS

H
Dual boot - AMD FX6300 6-core, 16GB ram
Windows 10 Pro, SH3D 6.2 with 8 GB memory allowance
Ubuntu 18.04, SH3D 6.2 with 2 GB memory allowance

Posted by okh at Apr 4, 2014, 2:38:41 PM
Re: Sweet Home 3D 4.4
So much for all my vertical and horizontal textures smile First look - great! Looking forward to trying new features. Congratulations.

ok

Posted by hansmex at Apr 4, 2014, 3:03:11 PM
First bug: plug-in Rotate doesn't work properly anymore.

Texture module works like a charm. Great work!
Modify materials (blinking) is a great addition as well!
Note: making a photo in Q4 is extremely slow.

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 4, 2014, 4:19:41 PM
Thanks for your feedback smile

First bug: plug-in Rotate doesn't work properly anymore
I don't think this plug-in ever worked with Java Web Start for security reasons.

making a photo in Q4 is extremely slow.
I didn't measure performances difference yet, but I'll check...

Posted by okh at Apr 4, 2014, 4:58:08 PM
Again congratulations. It is so nice to see new sw versions that actually improves stuff. Also, no crashes, nothing unexpected so far.
- an improved texture chooser ...
Indeed, great improvement!
- .. SunFlow to avoid black dots .. support transparent textures...
Still get (the same) black dots using both versions with photo from same setting - will look some more. I noticed no performance differences at best setting, though.
- new Edit > Select all at all levels ...
Selects like expected. Move workes nicely, rotate (advanced) plugin made a bit of a mess (which could not be undone) - but it did work, sort of...
- new dropOnTopElevation property to place .. at a preferred elevation..
If I understand you correctly a dropOnTopElevation#1=82 means that other furniture you later import (on top) will end up with an elevation of 82? Regardless of whether the item is higher or lower? If so, this could be useful.
- new Furniture > Reset elevation ..
Reset to the elevation to previous value? Not to the original elevation#nn= value?
- KMZ file format support ...
I am sure many users will appreciate easier access to the 3D warehouse.
.. beta version of the furniture libraries...
I think maybe you are at a point where selecting which items to include (in default library) is getting to be difficult. But then, as a puritan I would prefer the basic selection to be simple, compact and generic. Fully realising that many (most) would probably disagree.
Good luck - and thanks!
ok

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 4, 2014, 6:01:17 PM
Still get (the same) black dots using both versions with photo from same setting - will look some more. I noticed no performance differences at best setting, though.
Yes, you're right. I made some other tests. There was no performance loss but there were as much black dots as previously. sad
Since its original developer haven't touched this library for years, I think it's a dead end now. I spent so much time trying to manage texture transparency and feel it's still not perfect. I guess better renderings can be achieved only if I now integrate an other library.

- new dropOnTopElevation property to place .. at a preferred elevation..
If I understand you correctly a dropOnTopElevation#1=82 means that other furniture you later import (on top) will end up with an elevation of 82? Regardless of whether the item is higher or lower?
Yes it's exactly this behavior. It should help to place accessories much faster on some tables, shelves, cabinets, but also under trees, plants… If this property is negative, the height of the surrounding object will even been ignored.

- new Furniture > Reset elevation ..
Reset to the elevation to previous value? Not to the original elevation#nn= value?
Reset to the value that would be used if you set elevation to 0 then drop the piece of furniture again on a surrounding object. So not to the original elevation#nn value.

- KMZ file format support ...
I am sure many users will appreciate easier access to the 3D warehouse.
Users will appreciate it mostly once Trimble will have added back a filter for KMZ files in 3D Warehouse search engine, like I requested some time ago (feel free to post yourself a message to show you want this filter too).

I think maybe you are at a point where selecting which items to include (in default library) is getting to be difficult. But then, as a puritan I would prefer the basic selection to be simple, compact and generic. Fully realising that many (most) would probably disagree.
We will see in the future how to handle this at best, and why not proposing libraries organized by themes. At the moment, my goal is to reach 1000 models for Sweet Home 3D available under a free license, and we're very close. Expect a nice surprise with version 4.4. wink

Posted by okh at Apr 4, 2014, 7:32:48 PM
Thanks - anyway, very happy. Not too concerned with the black dots either. 1000 models, easy, which ones, that is the hard one.

Got one odd error message that I have not seen (noticed) before:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-2" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Value too long: Stairs 90 closed legal high,Roof,toalettslange,tallerkenhylle,……..
at java.util.prefs.AbstractPreferences.put(Unknown Source)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.io.FileUserPreferences.write(Unknown Source)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.viewcontroller.HomeController$UserPreferencesChangeListener$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

[Note from moderator: Reduced Value to avoid tooooo long line]

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 4, 2014, 10:13:31 PM
Thanks for the bug report smile
That may explain why the bug #415 doesn't happen all the time. It must depends on how many new words you entered during a session of Sweet Home 3D. If there are too many words (more exactly if the list is longer than 8092 characters), Java will refuse to write it in preferences along with other values like the recent files list, the recent colors…
It will be fixed in the next version.

Posted by okh at Apr 5, 2014, 11:36:33 AM
bug #415 doesn't happen all the time. It must depends on how many new words you entered during a session of Sweet Home 3D.
Aha, thanks, the mysterious bug #415 has been a pain. Strange list, though. ".. a session..." you say? Certainly not from a recent session. Even one of the very first models I imported was there, never used since.

I looked at \eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\preferences.xml - it is the autoCompletionStrings, right? <entry key="autoCompletionStrings#3"> (3 of 4): 557 entries, 8190 characters (including commas).

As I need to do spring cleaning in my settings (i.e. \eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\ , on my Win8.1 - too many test textures etc - will be better with new texture editor...). Can I just delete the content of the entries in autoCompletionStrings# ? I need recent-files more than autocomplete...

Or even better, could I just clean out the whole top settings directory: settings, textures and furniture (not the sub-dirs with furniture- and texturelibraries) to wash out all test-stuff ?smile

ok

Posted by okh at Apr 5, 2014, 12:12:36 PM
Can I just delete the content of the entries in autoCompletionStrings# ?
Actually, that was a stupid question. Sorry. Just did, and it works. Recent files are back. Me happy smile.

By the way, the new version splash warning confuses me a bit.
The home "C:\xxx\xxx\xxxx.sh3d" was created with a more recent version of Sweet Home 3D.
The information added to home in that version won't appear with the version of Sweet Home 3D you use now.

As far as I can tell all of the information added in 4.4 BETA is also available when using 4.3.

ok

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 5, 2014, 12:31:14 PM
Before changing anything in eTeks\Sweet Home 3D private folder, I would create a backup of it, so if something goes wrong, you can get back your previous settings.

As far as I can tell all of the information added in 4.4 BETA is also available when using 4.3.
No, a rotated texture won't appear as rotated in version 4.3 and if you save a sh3d file with Sweet Home 3D 4.3 in which you used a rotated texture, it won't appear as rotated anymore when you reopen it in version 4.4. Same thing for dropOnTopElevation value, and future information that might be added in coming beta versions.

Posted by pmralbuquerque at Apr 6, 2014, 10:10:22 AM
Hi Emmanuel,
there are some menu commands needing translation, but I can't find them in the language file available on the site. Is it my error?
Regards,
Pedro.

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 6, 2014, 1:34:53 PM
Pedro, the new features are only translated in English and French at this moment.
Once all the features I want to add will be in the beta version, I'll write to you and other translators to translate all of them in one go. Easier for me and for you wink

Posted by pmralbuquerque at Apr 6, 2014, 5:48:53 PM
smile   Re: Sweet Home 3D 4.4
OK. Keep up the excellent work and thank you.

Posted by okh at Apr 7, 2014, 8:31:15 AM
Still looks very good! No crashes, no unexpected results, no hangs after testing a couple of files. New functions appear to work, except possibly (?):

The recent textures, it seems, are not saved in preferences (like recent colours). At least here (Win 8.1, Java version 1.7.0_51 / 32 bit) they have not been available in the next session. But maybe that was intentional?

BTW, I would actually prefer if the set of recent textures (and colours) followed the sh3d file (saved in the home). My two serious project are so different (one mountain shelter with lots of bare wood and coarse textures, one urban with painted walls and fine textures), and when I change between them I really do not need the other set of textures. And if I work on different machines, I would really prefer that I could pick (easily) the recent textures used in that project (and not re-import my own .sh3t). Just a thought smile

...list is longer than 8092 characters... ..It will be fixed in the next version.
After I emptied <entry key="autoCompletionStrings#3">, the recent file list and other prefrences behave well smile. Have not reached 8092 characters yet, but it keeps filling with all names of imported furniture, whether it has been changed or not. My 2p worth is that this is not a vital function and could certainly be cropped at a lot less than 8000.

ok

PS
No, a rotated texture won't appear as rotated in version 4.3
Got it, silly of me, I thought you had implemented something which disabled all new info . How about: "The information added that is specific to the newer version will not work with the version of Sweet Home 3D you use now and will be lost if file is saved ." Totally minor point, of course.

Posted by okh at Apr 8, 2014, 9:07:34 AM
Library editing restrictions: When modifying a texture from a texture library, it was never possible to change the size (i.e. "modify"). With 4.4b, it is possible to change the angle of the texture, but not the size/scale.

ok

PS Maybe I missed something in the PluginTexturesCatalog.properties to make textures scalable afterwards?

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 8, 2014, 6:10:10 PM
The recent textures, it seems, are not saved in preferences (like recent colours).
I know. Colors are just a number, so it's easy to save recent colors. Textures are images with other information that may come from the default library, from .sh3t files or individually imported textures, and this is more complicate to save/read when recent textures list is saved in preferences. I keep it in mind for later.

How about: "The information added that is specific to the newer version will not work with the version of Sweet Home 3D you use now and will be lost if file is saved."
Thanks for the suggestion. I think "will not work" is too severe and let the user think it won't work, whereas it could work partly. But I agree with the warning that the information could be lost if the home is saved.

With 4.4b, it is possible to change the angle of the texture, but not the size/scale.
Yes. The effect of changing the texture size may depend on whether the 3D model defines some texture coordinates or not. I think this concept is complicate to explain to beginners and even to advanced users because a 3D model isn't obliged to define all its texture coordinates if they exist. To avoid some comments like "I changed the texture size but this had no effect on the 3D model", I prefer not to propose this feature at the moment.
There's a solution that would avoid the user to worry about texture coordinates, but it's buggy and I'm not sure it can be exported at OBJ format. Don't worry I keep it in mind and will investigate further if I can circumvent the issue I discovered.

Maybe I missed something in the PluginTexturesCatalog.properties to make textures scalable afterwards?
No, but I hope you understood why from my previous comment.

Posted by okh at Apr 8, 2014, 9:06:30 PM
Got it! And thanks for explaining. These are very minor issues. Please, see users reporting stuff they do not understand as a vote of confidence smile

Anyway - happy with 4.4b - great improvements on a very good product.

ok

Posted by interele at Apr 10, 2014, 1:05:43 PM
Is it possible to have the No Offscreen Images version
as an installable option

Ta

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 10, 2014, 3:21:29 PM
Is it possible to have the No Offscreen Images version
If you mean a version that would let the user set com.eteks.sweethome3d.j3d.checkOffScreenSupport property, it already exists with this Java Web Start link. Sorry but I don't think I'll go further.

Posted by Sajmmon at Apr 11, 2014, 12:03:12 PM
Hi,

just tested 4.4.

I also experienced problems with deciding which texture I was editing, and blinking helps to solve the problem.

Nonetheless, I am not in favor of blinking - as it is implemented now. It seems that the speed of blinking changes over time, maybe depends on rotating the preview (sometimes blinking is too fast), and new color sometimes doesn't match underlying texture (I get sharp blue).

Would be great if blinking was more gentle.

Szymon

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 14, 2014, 1:31:38 PM
It seems that the speed of blinking changes over time
It's probably due to some race conditions when the 3D preview is displayed, but then I didn't notice any variation. The blink is very short to give users enough time to see how will be the model.

new color sometimes doesn't match underlying texture (I get sharp blue)
Colored material are brighter or darker when they blink according to the color, and textured material blinks with the selection color used in the system. What would you suggest?

Posted by dijck at Apr 19, 2014, 7:46:48 PM
Thanx Mr Puybaret, the texture option is great and the levels selection was the thing I've asked for some time ago.
Thx again.
rgds
Joseph

Posted by Puybaret at May 8, 2014, 12:38:18 PM
Hi,

Here's a new Beta of version 4.4 (if you can't run it because certificate is outdated, please reduce security level in Java). This update brings two new features:
- support for sideways moves in the 3D view with the keyboard using Alt + left arrow and Alt + right arrow
- new option to repair partially damaged .sh3d files with the ability to remove damaged 3D models and textures or to display them in red, as proposed in this thread.
When you try to open a corrupted file, the following message will appear:

If you chose to remove or replace the damaged items, the (partially) repaired home will be opened showing the suffix [Repaired] in window title bar. Here's how it could look like when the user chose to replace damaged items:

If you don't have any corrupted file to test this feature on your side (in a way, I hope you don't have any), it's not difficult to create some with a binary editor by changing some bytes in a .sh3d file, or by truncating the file.

Hope this new feature will help desperate users and… will give me less support work too! Keep in mind that hard disks fail sooner or later (years after years, I must have replaced around 5 hard disks here), so always keep great care of your data.

Posted by Sajmmon at May 8, 2014, 7:40:27 PM
Hi,

I am really excited about sideways move. It is great! Wow :-) For me it works only with Virtual Visitor View. Please consider a shortcut that enabled sideways move also with mouse (instead of arrows).

btw. despite of my criticism of blinking I do not have an idea how to program this mechanism in a better way (maybe just selected material could disappear for a while)

Posted by Sajmmon at May 8, 2014, 7:41:59 PM
And a stacktrace:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.awt.SunToolkit.getSystemEventQueueImplPP(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.SunToolkit.getSystemEventQueueImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getEventQueue(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.invokeLater(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.windowsSettingChange(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.eventLoop(Native Method)
at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.awt.SunToolkit.getSystemEventQueueImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getEventQueue(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.invokeLater(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.windowsSettingChange(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.eventLoop(Native Method)
at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.run(Unknown Source)

Posted by Puybaret at May 8, 2014, 9:01:22 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

I am really excited about sideways move. It is great! Wow :-) For me it works only with Virtual Visitor View.
It will work only in Virtual visit mode. It doesn't have sense in Aerial view mode since in the latter case, the point of view always turns around a center of rotation.

Please consider a shortcut that enabled sideways move also with mouse (instead of arrows).
I was thinking about this too, but didn't have any idea of a good gesture. How does it work in FPS games?

And a stacktrace:
How did you get it? What version of Java do you use?

Posted by Puybaret at May 9, 2014, 5:04:07 PM
The Beta 3 of version 4.4 are signed with a new certificate issued by Certum that gently granted me a free one as an open source developer. smile
This should avoid the security problems coming from the certificate that I was using until now and that expired recently.

This version fixes also a rendering issue on texture coordinates at doors and windows intersection for some walls drawn with an angle different of 0° or 90° on the plan.

Posted by Sajmmon at May 10, 2014, 9:19:28 AM
So far I was unable to reproduce the Stack.

Sideway move in Aerial View was my silly idea :-(

I recorded a video with blinking - it shows the variable speed of blinking:
http://reterio.home.pl/inweb/blinking/blinking.html

Three more observations related to sideway move:

1. When I click ALT in windows7 OS, it selects upper-menu (so when I try to navigate in a room by holding and releasing ALT many times I sometimes navigate unintentionally among menu items).

2. When I hold ALT and use up/down arrows nothing happens, maybe move forward/backward should work as without ALT

3. When I detach 3d view and change focus from app main screen to 3d-view screen I observe probably unintentional behaviour. Eg. sideway move is active without ALT, or move is not possible at all.

Posted by harbinger at May 10, 2014, 9:20:01 PM
I'd like to help beta-test sh3d 4.4b but I can't seem to download it from the library (without it trying to download it onto the library's computer, which they won't allow).

You must remember, Msr. Puybaret, that many of us, for one reason or another, are not on the internet at home. Me, I download everything onto a flashdrive, then take it home with me, and go thru my downloads at home.

If you provide a link to a downloadable .exe or .jar, I'd love to help test the new version -- it does look promising! cool

Posted by Puybaret at May 12, 2014, 2:26:25 PM
harbinger, I understand your point of view, but I generally distribute beta versions only under Java Web Start, because it's faster for me, and still can work under Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. If I started to provide each Beta version under an other form, it would be less time I can spend on development. Exceptionally, here's a double-clickable Jar executable version, but I won't update it again before the final release.

Szymon, thanks for the video. The blinking effect is managed with a simple Swing Timer instance. If you have a little time, could you try some other values in the delay I programmed, and tell me which ones always work for you?

1. When I click ALT in windows7 OS, it selects upper-menu (so when I try to navigate in a room by holding and releasing ALT many times I sometimes navigate unintentionally among menu items).

2. When I hold ALT and use up/down arrows nothing happens, maybe move forward/backward should work as without ALT
I tolerated Alt modifier in Beta 4 when you press up and down arrow keys, so I guess you'll get much less often the unintentional effect you cited in point 1.

3. When I detach 3d view and change focus from app main screen to 3d-view screen I observe probably unintentional behaviour. Eg. sideway move is active without ALT, or move is not possible at all.
I wasn't able to reproduce this effect.

And the stack trace you posted is displayed in the console at Java plug-in launch. Apparently, I doesn't have any effect on the program itself.

Posted by sree.arun.kr at May 13, 2014, 10:01:39 PM
Hello Emmanuel Sir, it become happy to see v4.4b3.
Congrats in advance for v4.4,
But using the beta v.b3 I would like share my results with you
1, Sunflow rendering speed up works fine only if (JDK) JAVA_HOME & Path is defined to my system
Environment variables.Else time & quality almost same.

v4.4b-ArialView_10min24sec & v4.3-ArialView_11min20sec

v4.4-VirtualView_3min25sec & v4.3-VirtualView_3min41sec
2, Rotation works only in view port& Low quality rendering (Already mentioned by hansmex)

3, Sunflow balck dots and white dots are depends on Anti-Aliasing filter and caustic reflection.
Example render outputs->Trial_Render.rar(25MB mediafire.com)
new Edit > Select all at all levels
I wish it will make selection without compass.
5, Why don't you utilize the more render parameters come with Sunflow(Fake GI,IrradianceCache)
6, ImageBasedlighting is good&fast than the sunsky light if properly configure.
I got a reference from hereExternal Link
7, Or provide a user configurable drop-box in photorender window for renderer,light, Anti-aliasing.
8, Current sky is using concentrical mapping instead of spherical mapping(Most common method & HDRI Texture maps are easily available).
9, sun light is reddish in morning instead of bluish(4.30AM-7AM)
10, Best of Luck soon, peace shhh love struck
Thank you & pardon my engilish d oh

[Note from moderator: updated links to images]

Posted by Puybaret at May 14, 2014, 5:29:37 PM
Tonight the Beta 5 brings two new features:
- Select object menu is replaced by Toggle selection menu in plan contextual menu when shift key is pressed
- Text fields showing lengths were improved mainly when foot/inch/fraction unit is active; these text fields now show lengths in feet and inches, and let the user enter a length using this notation. To avoid entering 1/8 inch characters, you can also type inch decimals. In metrics unit, less decimals are shown and a few weird behaviors were fixed.
Please, Americans but others too, spend some time on testing this change, because it's widely used and a bug could bother many users.

The new Beta describes also the new features in the help.

AruN, thanks for your tests and the ones you did it in November. It's good to know that black dots can disappear using a bigger antialiasing.
Why don't you utilize the more render parameters come with Sunflow(Fake GI,IrradianceCache)
Not sure it' a good idea to invest more time in SunFlow which is not maintained by its main developer anymore. The small improvements on texture transparency I made in march took me already a lot of time. sad
Or provide a user configurable drop-box in photorender window for renderer,light, Anti-aliasing.
I know that defining com.eteks.sweethome3d.j3d.PhotoRenderer... is not handy, but I want to keep the photo creation dialog simple, and not be obliged to support or remove any SunFlow parameter if ever I decide to replace it by an other rendering engine.
new Edit > Select all at all levels
I wish it will make selection without compass.
But then it wouldn't be Select all. Keep in mind that you can still unselect/reselect anything in this selection mode if you keep the shift key pressed.

Posted by Puybaret at May 15, 2014, 10:43:50 AM
The Beta 6 fixes some wrong management of the next and previous values in the length text fields.
Hope this time it works perfectly and that Americans will love Sweet Home 3D more than before! smile

Posted by sree.arun.kr at May 15, 2014, 9:10:24 PM
love struck   Re: Sweet Home 3D 4.4
It's good to know that black dots can disappear using a bigger antialiasing.

I 'm sorry. I forgot to explain properly the content of Trial render.rar=
(File order)_(parameter/method using)_(its value)_(Time taken to render)
consider 18,19,20th files ,18th picture using Balckman-Haris filter AA.min=0+AA.max=0(AA disabled) gives less &small black dots, in 19th AAmin=2+AA.Max=3 gives more dots ,in 20th AA.min=-3+AA.Max=-2 dots still existing & image blured/smooth.
A value of 0 corresponds to 1 sample per pixel. A value of -1 corresponds to 1 sample every 2 pixels (1 per 2x2 block).A value of 1 corresponds to 4 samples per pixel (2x2 subpixel grid).
box (filter size = 1),triangle (filter size = 2),gaussian (filter size = 3),mitchell (filter size = 4),catmull-rom (filter size = 4),blackman-harris (filter size = 4),sinc (filter size = 4),lanczos (filter size = 4),bspline (filter size = 4)
SO : that black dots 'cannot' disappear using a bigger antialiasing.
Also I saw that reflection=4,refraction=4 have more black-spots than reflection=2,refraction=4 OR reflection=4,refraction=8(the ratio).

Anyway in beta6 1. "Select object & Toggle selection" seems fine because either this is the idea/ a bug that you don't explained so I can't see it.
2. Unit conversion seems works fine but different converters have different fraction constant.
Bug:
In Arial View & day lightsystem(Suppose 7AM) add extra light(suppose blue)source to scene gives shadow color= light(Blue shadow)source color& more GI reflection.
Wish list:
1.A button to clear cache(%AppData%\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\work) after complete project
2.save as .png/tiff with alpha masking channel.
3.If you are planning to change render engine then please sunflow as plugin& yafaray instead.
4.On spot Z rotation for furniture for library.
Thank you. tongue

Posted by Puybaret at May 16, 2014, 6:38:33 PM
Thanks for the details.
About reflection/refraction values: at this moment reflection is set to 4 and refraction to 16; do you mean I should reduce refraction to 8 for better results?

Unit conversion seems works fine but different converters have different fraction constant.
Not sure I understood. Maybe you meant that each metric unit use a different count of decimals? It's on purpose, because values smaller that millimeters are not shown, leading to one decimal for centimeter unit and 3 decimals for meter unit.

A button to clear cache(%AppData%\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\work) after complete project
That won't happen because temporary files that aren't necessary anymore when program runs, should be deleted automatically. After an inquiry in source code, I discovered that some temporary files needed for SunFlow rendering weren't deleted once the rendering engine had finished its job, and I fixed this in the Beta 7 that I just released. All other files in the work subfolder can't be deleted before the program ends.
The Beta 7 fixes also a bug that didn't show correctly rotated textures in SunFlow renderer (thanks Hans for reporting this issue).
If you are planning to change render engine then please sunflow as plugin& yafaray instead.
That's what I had in mind too, but as Yafaray isn't programmed in Java, it won't be easy.

Sorry, other wishes won't happen in the next version.

Posted by Puybaret at May 19, 2014, 8:44:49 AM
The Beta 10 released this weekend fixes some bugs related to unit conversion in Virtual visitor and Compass dialog boxes, and attributes 2 GB of max memory to Sweet Home 3D run with Java Web Start under 64 bit Windows and Linux systems. Sorry, I didn't find a way to increase the max memory under Mac OS X 64 bit too (sounds like a bug that appears only under that system), but if needed, there's always the solution to use installer version and set the max memory. Under Windows, the JRE launched by default seems to be the 32 bit version if you installed both 16 and 32 bit JREs.
This max memory now appears in the About dialog box for information.

Posted by okh at May 20, 2014, 2:29:26 PM
Nice improvements, and no trouble (4.4 Beta 10 Java version 1.7.0_55 / 32 bit / 0.6 GB max):
- 3D window did not update changes made in 2d (happned twice: move door / change level), but could not reproduce.
- Once the plug-ins did not load, could not reproduce.
- Is the web-start security warning: "The application has requested permission to establish connections to www.sweethome3d.com. Do you want to allow this action" new? Could be my Win 8.1 settings, I guess, I just cannot remember seeing it before.

In short - nothing smile

Very happy with the searchable textures - and recent textures.

ok

Posted by hansmex at May 20, 2014, 3:46:28 PM
3D window did not update changes made in 2d

Same here. Happens every now and then. Not clear why.

H

Posted by sree.arun.kr at May 24, 2014, 10:25:14 AM
Sorry for the delay.
At last I found some interesting this.
Do you mean I should reduce refraction to 8 for better results?

No It was my mistake, when reducing reflection & increase refraction It reduces black dots slightly, not Removes completely.
After a lot off experiments in between 3ds-max, SweetHome3D & sunflow I got the result.
Different Glass materials applied with different obj shapes & render it in 3DSMax Mental ray

Then this objects imported into SH3D & render different method by tweaking caustic & reflection, but got the error image.

Then I using default SH3D files & started tweaking Object I got this result.

The problem is so simple. To get the result I change the transparent object material.-Furniture->Modify->Material.
If transparent/Glass color = Green by default then I go modify->material ->color =Green ,then Render. It give the result what I need exactly.
Come to the point,
If the object is transparent(Object.mtl d<1) Photorenderer .java failed to set shader dependent parameters like specular, glossyness, shaderName-uber at its default or failed to export these values to sunflow.

When a new value is applied it over returns the default values and works fine. batting eyelashes
See: No shader.

&

A new color/Texture is applied.
But it failed some times to apply texture when d <0.1. In this image all Glass materials are failed to render

Its a nice idea if texture material is white,Object become fully transparent & if black it transmit light inside to the object(only if d<1).
I think the bug located from here
to here
Sorry I'm not a programmer. I have a little knowledge in C++(SH3D introduce me first Java. Thxs a lot) love struck .
Here is some more render output&work files .

Posted by Puybaret at May 24, 2014, 4:32:55 PM
I just released the Beta 11 that improves the saving procedure to avoid duplicate content in .sh3d files.
Please be cautious to save your files in a new file (at least the first time), to ensure you won't lose any data.
I trust what I programmed and tested on different files, but you never know, even if the risk is very small. Please test it on the files you may have and confirm you didn't have problems.

sree.arun.kr, thanks for your tests. I'll look again if I can improve something in exportAppearance method, but I fear the problem comes from elsewhere….

Posted by sree.arun.kr at May 25, 2014, 7:42:58 PM
Ya, you are right the problem/bug lies in this line.
I changed this parameter to
if (material instanceof OBJMaterial
&& ((OBJMaterial)material).isOpticalDensitySet()) {
this.sunflow.parameter("eta", 2.5);
} else { ...

Then I got the result : glass material render properly
Then I go search about OpticalDensity and come up page OBJLoader.java
I think in this page you are not described the vales&limitation.(I dont know java programing)
ie, Ni , min value = 0.001 max value = 10. (Internet search result )
& this will create the improper value Error.
glass & mirror OpticalDensity strength difference.
I hope this will help you to fix the bug
Thank you. love struck

Posted by Puybaret at May 26, 2014, 9:35:21 PM
Tonight the Beta 12 will allow you to test some new features I added to the Online version:
- It's now possible to import from .sh3d files (use the 6th button in the tool bar), and the program checks what 3D models and textures are available on the server to reduce home data length saved on server.
- The home data length is checked each time you try to save, and a warning is displayed if this length is larger than the limit on the server (still set at 3 MB).
- I added a Delete button in the Open dialog box to let you delete homes saved on the server.
Please, test these features (hope it will work under Linux too). Of course, avoid to import hundreds of files and don't forget to delete the ones you don't need online anymore (exporting them to a .sh3d file if needed). This service is not for backup purpose!

sree.arun.kr, thanks for your findings. smile
So you mean that Ni shouldn't be used directly, and by ignoring its value there's no more problem? Why do you propose 2.5 rather than 1.55 the eta of the glass?

Posted by cybermarmotte at May 26, 2014, 10:14:40 PM
I can try it tomorrow on linux but can't find right now on my mbpro the 6th button... Any ideas?

Posted by hfrmobile at May 27, 2014, 5:56:40 AM
Seems to work but my model is still to big.

Even I get the following message
The home data length (3.3 MB) is larger than the maximum length accepted by the server (3 MB).
Delete some furniture and/or background images to reduce the length of saved data.

the model will be loaded but can't be stored. Anyway, it is pretty cool that a 16.8 MB model can be reduced to 3.3 MB!

Maybe a FTP support will be an option?

SH3D Online loads data from a foreign FTP url?

--hfrmobile

Posted by Puybaret at May 27, 2014, 6:00:32 PM
Thank you both for your feedback.
The 6th button displays the icon and is available only if you login.

I improved the logic of files checking/saving in the Beta 13 of the Online version, and the furniture list will display imported furniture in italic in the online version, to help you find these objects when the home data size is too large. Showing a file size indicator could be nice too, but let's see first how the import feature is used…

it is pretty cool that a 16.8 MB model can be reduced to 3.3 MB!
It's not really reduced. In the online version, the data of a home comes from:
- the drawing coordinates of furniture, walls, rooms...,
- the furniture and images imported by the user,
- and the redistributable 3D models and texture images available on sweethome3d.com server (through free 3D models page for example).
The difficulty was to try to find as much as possible uses of redistributable 3D models and texture images without downloading everything, to reduce the size of the remaining data in a home. A smaller size ensures that saving (i.e. upload to the server) time will be reasonable for the end user, that bandwidth use won't increase too much on the server and that home data won't occupy too much space on the server too. For the programmers interested in the subject, I added SHA-1 digests of 3D model and image files in the online libraries and compare them with the digest of each model and image used in a home file at importation time. If two digests are equal, then the model or the image in the file can be replaced by a reference to the same file on the server (see resolveObject method in HomeObjectInputStream and the new class ContentDigestManager).
So, if you followed everything, 3.3 MB is the size of (compressed) data that couldn't be found on sweethome3d.com server. wink

Maybe a FTP support will be an option?
What do you mean?

Posted by sree.arun.kr at May 27, 2014, 9:11:50 PM
So you mean that Ni shouldn't be used directly,

Sorry it is a miss understand!, I mean that Ni shouldn't be derived correctly(Script Error & it is the bug).
[Sorry once again for any spelling mistake or grammar mistake].
{I usually do open sh3d src.zip in eclipse & edit then export edited.java file as -java-jar file. Then using 7zip replaces proper class files in SweetHome3D.jar and start test rendering.}

In this script line I understand that
TransparencyAttributes transparencyAttributes = appearance.getTransparencyAttributes();
if (transparencyAttributes != null
&& transparencyAttributes.getTransparency() > 0
&& !ignoreTransparency) {
if (material instanceof OBJMaterial
&& ((OBJMaterial)material).isOpticalDensitySet()) {
this.sunflow.parameter("eta", ((OBJMaterial)material).getOpticalDensity());
} else {
// Use glass ETA as default
this.sunflow.parameter("eta", 1.55f);
}
float transparency = 1 - transparencyAttributes.getTransparency();

photorender calls a value (Ni)as optical_density from objmaterial(*.mtl) and assigned to ETA and give it to sunflow for rendering.
But I want to tell you that it fails to find the value from mtl file comes with .obj.
Because assigned a value 2.5f as ETA for the 'if' condition if what ever the value of Ni. Then Render & the glass object render with optical density 2.5f. If I changed the glass material color/Texture it renders in optical density 1.55f.
So I come to the conclusion that :
optical density calling from (its default) *.mtl file or
assign the value for eta failed.
So sunflow render a black dot instead.
I doubt that because of script error(spelling mistake /failed to maintain Ni value limitation in between 0.001-min to 10-max).
!_________________________________________________

I am not propose 2.5f as eta.But the above image values are get from
sunflow sample render secene file(glass01.sc) opened in notepad & rendered in sunflow gui.
2.5f takes 20% to 40% more time for rendering than 1.55f but give more realistic glass reflection.
I found an invisible bug that when I import a furniture(most time *.3ds) & save it, then it produces a *.shed file consist of imported furniture as *.obj&*.mtl. But the bug is that when I export the imported furniture as *.obj then the file(*.obj&*.mtl) is totally different from than the saved file(the content of file/the method by which is used to export). This will not seen in geometry creation, but affect in glass type objects that have a curvy vine glass shape.
Each time Import then export then again import & export each type of obj files are created & after some exports later the material glass loose its Ni value. I think the bug lies in OBJ exporter because If I import Obj files It saves same file but export then file creation method chagned & create a different file is being created, with no Ni parameter in mlt file some times.
So please remove current Obj exporter(creation method) & use furniture library creator's/save as sh3d file's Obj saving algorithm instead
crying

Posted by sree.arun.kr at May 30, 2014, 7:33:47 PM
Hello, Emmanuel Sir.
I think you are planing to release v4.4 soon, before that could you please add one more feature that apply easy Basic Material Shader Preset like glass, metal, leather and concrete names in modify->material modify-> furniture material panel.
(It effects like glass=transparency, metal= mirror reflection, leather =mate like carpet, concrete = rough floor).
My concept is that 'change material without changing its color and texture,' but only edit its rendering shader type(glass, mirror, phong, ward) module in sunflow.
It will be a helpful thing when some material failed to render properly.
These shaders are predefined(ie values for Ks,Ns,Ni,illum,d,eta) so the user can simply apply material.
If you are going to tell me that why I don't think about shininess, then it doesn't have ability to set glass transparency, metal and mirror reflection need black color. thinking

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 1, 2014, 7:43:44 PM
Tonight the Beta 16 brings most translations of the new features, and improves the repair system added in the Beta 2: now, Sweet Home 3D will be also able to restore 3D models and images found in Sweet Home 3D catalogs of the user when it tries to repair a damaged file. This system works thanks to a small new entry named ContentDigests added after the entry named Home. The text of ContentDigests describes the digests of 3D models and images in the file that helps to find the matching content in the catalogs. As this entry didn't exist until now, this improvement in the repair system will benefit only to files saved with version 4.4. You can try it on the following two files (saved them as a .sh3d file):
Damaged home without ContentDigests entry
Damaged home with ContentDigests entry
The second file should be fully reparable with the default catalog of Sweet Home 3D.

sree.arun.kr, sorry I don't think I'll add any additional feature to version 4.4. It's time to release it...

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 2, 2014, 10:37:57 AM
okh: 3D window did not update changes made in 2d (happned twice: move door / change level), but could not reproduce.
hansmex: Same here. Happens every now and then. Not clear why.
I checked again if I would have missed some updates in the 3D view, but did not discover anything.
If you couldn't reproduce the issue, could you tell me if it happened more than once, and if you feel that this issue never happened in a previous version.

Posted by okh at Jun 2, 2014, 4:54:01 PM
..if it happened more than once...
Actually, I think something similar happened also in an earlier version, and that I reported it, but I cannot find the bug ticket (too hot outside...). However, it happened only those two times now - and not again. However, I am wondering whether there could be something Java related (1.7.0_55 / 32 bit), because some Java processes (also other sw) suddenly have hiccups. Eg. SH3D furniture import will sometimes halt everything for up to 20 seconds, and Collada export in Sketchup also seems to cause the occasional temporary freeze (and on an unrelated subject, so does my Java addicted bank). But no, it did not happen again (so just go ahead and release :-) ).

ok

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 2, 2014, 6:52:27 PM
Missing 3D resources might be a reason for this kind of bug.

so just go ahead and release :-)
I wish I could, but I still have to check the Ni issue that sree.arun.kr reported, and a few translations are still missing. Are there Chinese (writing Simplified Chinese), Czech or Brazilian users around willing to contribute to translations?

Posted by okh at Jun 2, 2014, 9:42:22 PM
I wish I could, but I still have to...
Know that your sense of perfection is what makes SH3D such a great piece of software. My old prof always said that it is impossible to test all possible data with every routine - and something will go wrong - somewhere, somehow. But as betas go - and I've tested a few - this is pretty solid smile. Thanks. ok

Posted by hansmex at Jun 3, 2014, 7:09:49 AM
Emmanuel,

Just as OKH reported, the slow update of the 3D-image happened more than once. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce it. It was very rare, and if I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

There is another anomaly. Sometimes when a pop-up window appears, it appears blank. That is, the window appears, but not its contents. With Escape I can "close" the window again, and the next time the window appears normally. This has happened in earlier versions as well. (With pop-up window I mean the window for Modify walls or Modify furniture or something similar.)

Hans

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 3, 2014, 12:30:58 PM
Yes it time to release v4.4 congratulations applause in advance.
But new version still comes with same bugs. Sorry I don't wish to mess with them all by reporting to you(like a barking dog in the sweet night)
1. I am talking about both "Ni" and "d". I think transparency value (Ni/optical density) may not be defined correctly also transparency color is not defined in .Obj format like in .dae does.
When I work with glass material I always do this steps.
2. 3d window failed to refresh when it loose focusing(Out of focus ). Most probably when modify level window appears. You can also try by clicking and minimizing taskbar SH3D icon, then click any other program then re-open/pop-up SH3D by clicking again SH3D icon in taskbar band.(4 different furniture with different materials and a wall is in 2D view, select any of the furniture also). Else you can try by allowing pop-up furniture description window in 3d view, then scroll mouse wheel slowly.

No it does not happens in previous versions
okh : 3D window did not update changes made in 2d

Also I feels that 3d refreshing speed is slightly improved than 4.4 beta1,(may be fixed with improving selected texture refresh speed)
When you changed
3. When I apply a texture to sky it does not render in Arial view.( I think IBL is not working)
4. If you add a key combination like
Alt+Tab = Rotation only
Shift+Tab = Move only
Ctrl+Tab = Scale only
Shift+Ctrl+Tab = Uniform scale(x,y,Z)

will be a very helpful. tongue

I am running with Windows 7 32bit & javaJDK 1.7.051

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 3, 2014, 12:39:05 PM
sree.arun.kr, thank you so much for finding out the eta / Ni issue. SunFlow doesn't seem to be able to handle values equal to 1. This value is found very often in MTL files and is actually wrong, because it matches the index of refraction in vacuum, definitively something not similar to a material!
I fixed this issue by forcing the eta value to a minimum of 1.33 (the index of refraction of the water).
And… it seems to fix (all?) the black dots problems, even black dots that appeared on furniture placed quite far from a piece of glass with a wrong Ni value. smile
Please, dear users, check it on your side with the Beta 18 that I just posted.

But I don't really understand the export to OBJ issue you mentioned in your message.
If it's because 3DS files are transformed in OBJ files in a .sh3d file, it's on purpose and I won't change it, but you can keep the 3DS file unchanged by importing a ZIP file containing it. If it's because you specified some index of refraction in the 3DS file you imported, don't expect to find this value in Sweet Home 3D, because it is stored and reexported only for OBJ files. If it's something else, post or send me a way to reproduce it step by step.

[sree.arun.kr, you posted your last message while I was writing this one, I'm going to answer you afterwards]

Posted by okh at Jun 3, 2014, 1:06:23 PM
..fix (all?) the black dots problems...
As far as I can tell, the demon is dead smile.

Congratulations to you both! ok

Examples with lots of glass that used to have many black dots: SF Bug 271.

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 3, 2014, 1:27:00 PM
By searching through google&wiki Ni value is minimum 0.001& maximum 10,normal 1 and this limitation is not derived in OBJloader.java(j3d folder)

But I don't really understand the export to OBJ issue you mentioned in your message.

Do step by step
1. Import a model in .3ds or .dae format(*not OBJ) in an empty SH3d.
2. Then save as a new work file (untitled_Save.sh3d)
3. With out closing sh3d and without any modification for imported furniture, goto 3dview->Export to OBJ format,(export it as Untitled_Export.obj).
4. Render model and save image.
5. Close SH3d
6. Using 7zip application Open saved work file(untitled_Save.sh3d).
7. Extract folder 01 content(3dmodel.obj/somthing) where Untitled_Export.obj saved
8. Import these extracted content.obj and exported .obj in a new SH3D and render a view.
You can clearly feel the differnce if the model consist of smoothed,complicated in shape and have different materials like glass, metal are used.
9. Use any comparison application and compare both *.obj file and then both *.mtl file
10. Exported Obj is bigger and different, but mtl file is almost same.

conclusion:
If I import a model then export as obj then again import it in SH3D then again export the model, by repeating import, export steps more than a 10 times then the model and its material is completely changed(only skeleton exist).
silly shock silly

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 3, 2014, 1:32:01 PM
Wow.. the color combination &light is superb! especially in night bg. angel okh .

Posted by okh at Jun 3, 2014, 1:56:17 PM
Thanks, so now you know what a small Scandinavian mountain cabin (chalet) looks like at night. This one would - if built - be 8km from nearest electricity. Real off grid. Hence, the candles and stoves (with adjusted colour temperatures...). ok

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 3, 2014, 2:02:24 PM
Hello, Emmanual sir.
I would like to add a simple bug and its fixing method.
The door called 'OpenDoor' in furniture library when attaching to a wall (thickness of 24) is render like a stretched door panel.
By running through furniture.jar DefaultFurnitureCatalog.properties I saw its wall thickness is 7.5. I think it can be solved creating one more copy and rename like 'DoorOpened2'and also changing its doorOrWindowWallThickness#20 = 24 for those users are new in SH3D & complaining it.
(Units are in CM)

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 3, 2014, 4:12:30 PM
I tried to reproduce your issue about OBJ export, but didn't notice problems on the DAE file I tried (but I didn't try 10 times).
7. Extract folder 01 content(3dmodel.obj/somthing) where Untitled_Export.obj saved
Even if it's not forbidden, you're not supposed to do that. Who would you do that? wink
10. Exported Obj is bigger and different, but mtl file is almost same.
Files are different but it's not astonishing, their coordinates are not in the same space:
- Imported 3D models and their counterpart in the .sh3d file are generally centered and often expressed in an other unit that the centimeter.
- Exported OBJ files use the same coordinate system as Sweet Home 3D, i.e. in centimeter and probably not centered on (0,0) point depending on where you placed your objects on the plan.
This leads to bigger values in Exported OBJ files and bigger files. Don't forget also to select the option Export selection option while exporting.

The door called 'OpenDoor' in furniture library when attaching to a wall (thickness of 24) is render like a stretched door panel.
By running through furniture.jar DefaultFurnitureCatalog.properties I saw its wall thickness is 7.5. I think it can be solved creating one more copy and rename like 'DoorOpened2'and also changing its doorOrWindowWallThickness#20 = 24 for those users are new in SH3D & complaining it.
I had the same idea for a long time, but don't like to put workarounds in the program itself. Adapting opened door to wall thickness is a complicated feature to program, but it will come one day. By the way, there are all kind of wall thickness around, and this would still be a very approximative workaround in many cases.

1. I am talking about both "Ni" and "d". I think transparency value (Ni/optical density) may not be defined correctly also transparency color is not defined in .Obj format like in .dae does.
I don't see any issue about the d transparency value in MTL files. The management of Ni index of refraction should be ok now. As Ni = 1 value in non sense, I wonder if I should rather choose glass index (1.55) rather than water index (1.33) in that case.

2. 3d window failed to refresh when it loose focusing […]
It's an old issue that happens for some users under Java 7 and still under Java 8. sad
That's the main reason why Sweet Home 3D installer is still bundled with Java 6u45.
With Java 7, I noticed it happens one time out of two mouse moves when you resize the 3D view.

3. When I apply a texture to sky it does not render in Arial view.
It's on purpose, as explained in the help about photo creation. I feel it gives nicer shadows. If you want your sky image, choose the same point of view in Virtual visit mode.

4. If you add a key combination like […]
I don't understand the goal of these keys. Keep in mind that Tab and shift + Tab are used to transfer focus, and alt + Tab to switch between applications under Windows and Linux.

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 3, 2014, 9:06:02 PM
I tried to reproduce your issue about OBJ export, but didn't notice problems on the DAE file I tried (but I didn't try 10 times).

I deleted my model that I used. Most of the time I uses either in .3ds or .obj. and directly imported form 3ds-max or maya. If these two formats are failed to render properly then I convert it again using any 3rd party application like Meshlab or AccuTrans.
Even if it's not forbidden, you're not supposed to do that. Who would you do that?

biggrin No One Can Stop My Curiosity love struck
Files are different but it's not astonishing, their coordinates are not in the same space:

Thanks for the sharing it,else I think it was a bug that when I import a model which has different parts with pivot points are located in different possion is shown as a squeezed ball.
I don't see any issue about the d transparency value in MTL files.

Sorry I am trying to mention either transparency color is may not be defined or the Ni value limitation is not explained in OBJLoder.java. Because sunflow can render less than '1' value. The proof is in same post, one of the previous comment which with eta values are showing image is rendered in sunflow 0.7.2.
In v4.4 you are limited eta=1.33 that means I can't render diamond(eta 2.415),flush blood(eta0.8)?. laughing
If you want your sky image, choose the same point of view in Virtual visit mode.

Then can you make a switch button from areal view to virtual view or viseversa without changing its point of view including field of vision angle?.
In help about photo creation ,
At a given quality level, you can still improve the image quality by choosing a bigger size for your image, then reducing the size of the computed image in an editor like The Gimp.

In these lines you are talking about to change DPI/PPI of the image?

I don't understand the goal of these keys.
I know these are the global keys and calling inside an application is default.But I am sorry, I forgot to mention its only for reference (or similar to do so). Also can you add one more key, for Photo Rendering window(F9)?.

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 4, 2014, 5:57:32 PM
Tonight the Beta 19 should fix the issue Sajmmon reported some time ago. It was due to a wrong memory management that could depend on Java behavior. This same correction should fix also some image texture clones that were generated by OBJ export from time to time.

In v4.4 you are limited eta=1.33 that means I can't render diamond(eta 2.415),flush blood(eta0.8)?
Finally, I forced eta to 1.55 for a Ni value smaller or equal to 1.
As a value smaller than 1 is not realistic, and that a Ni value of 1 is actually wrongly generated by Blender export, I decide it was more logical to use the index of refraction of the glass 1.55 for wrong values in Sweet Home 3D, a program used to represent furniture, windows,… as I may recall you. wink

At a given quality level, you can still improve the image quality by choosing a bigger size for your image, then reducing the size of the computed image in an editor like The Gimp.

In these lines you are talking about to change DPI/PPI of the image?
No, just resizing it to a smaller size. You can set an other DPI if you want too, but that won't reduce the file size of the image. Anyway there's no DPI information in images generated by Sweet Home 3D.

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 4, 2014, 8:27:17 PM
Beta 19 is released with fixed blinking issue.?
Then Sorry to say the problem is is still exist. You can clearly see it by set priority of javaw.exe to low in Task manager.(I am confused beta 19 is slightily slower in perfomance than beta 1, especially in Arial view ?.)
As a value smaller than 1 is not realistic
You are right , but reducing the Refraction Index less than '1' can make easly setup metal like gold.(0.4-0.6) blushing
My reference sites are : Link 1 , Link2

There's no DPI information in images generated by Sweet Home 3D
I think then the image viewing application or windows read it as default dpi 72.
If you are planning to add a dpi value then it must be 300 I wish. biggrin (Human eyes can faked by DPI of 600 silly )

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 4, 2014, 9:28:22 PM
Then Sorry to say the problem is is still exist. You can clearly see it by set priority of javaw.exe to low in Task manager.
Too bad, anyway as long as it blinks, I think I won't go further. And there was an old memory management that needed to be fixed.

I am confused beta 19 is slightily slower in perfomance than beta 1, especially in Arial view ?
I don't see what change could have produce such a performance slowdown, because the main change in the 3D part was about texture rotation. Did you try also with version 4.3?

You are right , but reducing the Refraction Index less than '1' can make easly setup metal like gold.(0.4-0.6)
Refraction Index is used only for transparent material in SunFlow. As far as I know, gold isn't transparent in solid and liquid state. In a gaseous state, I have no idea, but I don't think it's interesting for Sweet Home 3D, do you? laughing

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 5, 2014, 11:08:37 AM
The Beta 20 checks if there's enough disk space to save a home file. As file systems can very different, I would be pleased to know if it works for you all. Please test on full USB keys, remote user spaces…

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 5, 2014, 3:50:49 PM
Yes, you done it successfully to check the disk space.

I wish the font size used at "Missing 6.5 MB to save home" may be bigger is better. For me it is too small to read in 1280x960 resolution monitor nerd silly cool. Also change the window title to 'Not enough Disk Space'( thinking Its not a 'Error', Its a warning, I think).

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 5, 2014, 3:59:22 PM
sree.arun.kr, thanks for your tests. smile
About the message presentation, I'll improve it in a future version, because I want to suggest also to the user to save his home with Save and compress option if he chose a simple save. But adding this message would require a new translation round, that I won't start for version 4.4 again.

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 5, 2014, 4:55:53 PM
Before releasing v4.4 I wish it is the time to add an icon file of size 256x256 for the new generation users(W7,W8) with a good quality.

hugs

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 5, 2014, 5:45:29 PM
Are you sure that this icon file wouldn't prevent the program from working under Windows XP?

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 5, 2014, 6:33:38 PM
Ok, I just added a 256x256 icon to SweetHome3D.ico, and checked it worked under Windows XP and 8.

Posted by pencilart at Jun 5, 2014, 7:34:23 PM
When testing sh3d 4.4 beta, I noticed this:
3d pane: (virtual visit mode) when furniture is moved (in the upper plan) the 3d view gets greyed out. However, when you move the virtual visitor, the pane goes back to normal.
This also happens when you move the size of the window pane.

Has anyone else seen this?

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 6, 2014, 5:12:24 AM
Has anyone else seen this?

You mean the same problem reported by okh in page 4 ?. sad

Posted by pencilart at Jun 6, 2014, 6:43:53 PM
Yeah, similar to that.

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 6, 2014, 9:21:01 PM
pencilart, under which system did you run your test?
If you're under Windows and the 3D view is all grey from time to time (most of the time after resizing the 3D view), I think it's more likely to be an other issue that happens only under Java 7/8. I spent a big part of the day trying to find a workaround, but without success. sad

Anyway, to finish better the day, I fixed an issue that was happening in Virtual visit mode for a high elevation of the viewpoint and made it available in the Beta 21. As the correction is a tradeoff that could alter the image quality of the 3D view (mainly on the borders of walls, furniture...), please check if it works for you.

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 7, 2014, 10:09:37 PM
I found a hack that works quite well against the 3D view which gets grey after a resize. It's not 100% reliable, but definitively better on my side. Could the users under Windows who had or hadn't the same problem test this fix with the Beta 22, please?

Posted by pencilart at Jun 7, 2014, 10:30:23 PM
Hey Emmanuel,
I am using Windows 8.1 with the latest Java update.

I will try out the new beta soon, when I'm on the computer.

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 8, 2014, 2:47:43 PM
Hey, hey, I think I found a much more reliable workaround for the grey 3D view in Beta 23. smile
Be sure to test all kind of ways that could alter the size of the 3D view at screen: moving separators at left and top of the 3D view, changing Sweet Home 3D window size, maximize / minimize window, moving window on the screen borders to partially view the 3D view, displaying the 3D view in a separate window and changing that separate window...

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 9, 2014, 10:38:15 AM
Sorry, d oh
The 3d Window is still have bug in beta23.
& I send a proof video to your mailbox.(Sorry for the low quality video).I dont wish to expose my mistakes I do in it. clown .
Please ignore my mistake , because I am not good in internet(especially Forums also). crying

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 9, 2014, 11:48:07 AM
Thanks for your tests and the video. No problem for the video quality as long as it shows the problem. wink
For interested users, this video shows that the 3D view gets greyed also when a dialog box is opened in the program or when a tool tip of the catalog partially covers the 3D view, like in the following image.

I could reproduce the second issue, but not the first one, but they are similar because actually, the 3D view gets greyed when a sub window is opened, whether this sub window is a dialog box or a tool tip. The good thing is that the 3D view returns to normal as soon as these sub windows are closed, almost all the time. I'm going to check if it can be fixed.
Did you notice at least some improvements about the 3D view resizing?

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 9, 2014, 6:38:22 PM
This time, the Beta 24 should cover also the cases reported by sree.arun.kr. The 3D view still blinks before being repainted in some cases, and sometimes, the tool tip of the catalog remains grey, but all in all, this works much better now. Hope Windows users will agree.

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 9, 2014, 7:53:58 PM
Be sure to test all kind of ways that could alter the size of the 3D view at screen:

Sorry I cannot understand the changes you made.(Can you add a picture or a video).
First trial rendering with beta24 seems the gray bug fixed(by adding fast refreshing speed? cool ). But it does not works fine like v4.3.
1. Could you please check that the skylight and IBL light works together and gives over brightness at mid day in Arial view?.
2. At the exact time 4.04AM gives me a slighter moon light effect. I wish more light with the same sky in the scene can give exact moon light effect.
3.In a night scene by increasing the size of bulb(light),why coverage area of light reduces?. I think its a bad setting. If I add more light then it multiply shadows too. So I need a bigger light in the scene.
4. Adding self illumination glow can solve tubular/neon light effect. Is it possible?. thinking
5. Could you please check that why temp file in folder(%AppData%\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\work) duplicates the plugins folder content?. It slow down application lunching. shock

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 9, 2014, 8:58:29 PM
First trial rendering with beta24 seems the gray bug fixed
That's just what I wanted you (and others) to test. Thanks for the good news. smile
But it does not works fine like v4.3
You have to compare with the version 4.3 running under Java Web Start with Java 7/8. You probably use the installer version 4.3 which is bundled with Java 6, not Java 7/8, and Java 6 will continue to come with the installer of version 4.4.

1. Could you please check that the skylight and IBL light works together and gives over brightness at mid day in Arial view?.
I remember that this didn't work correctly, and won't renew the tests now. As you seem to be able to modify the code, feel free to test it on your side.
2. At the exact time 4.04AM gives me a slighter moon light effect. I wish more light with the same sky in the scene can give exact moon light effect.
Sorry, I won't manage the moon, just because the night hour is convenient for the users who want to manage all their lights, without having a default light.
3. In a night scene by increasing the size of bulb(light),why coverage area of light reduces?
I just tested again and didn't really see a difference of light power on a scene that contains just a light.
4. Adding self illumination glow can solve tubular/neon light effect. Is it possible?
I don't see what you mean, searching "glow" in SunFlow source code gives nothing.
5. Could you please check that why temp file in folder(%AppData%\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\work) duplicates the plugins folder content?
It's on purpose. Otherwise, it would be impossible (or much more complicate) to allow the user to import a .sh3f / .sh3t file that overwrites an existing one, without relaunching the program. If you don't want this copy to be made, select the Read only attribute on .sh3f files in %AppData%\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\furniture folder and on .sh3t files %AppData%\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\textures folder.

Posted by pencilart at Jun 9, 2014, 10:20:50 PM
Beta 24 does not have the greying out problem like the previous one did. As you said, it only blinks when resizing the panes and immediately repaints, so that is ok for me. I have not noticed any greying out when I hover over tools to cause the tool tip to show up.

Looking good so far (thumbs up)

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 11, 2014, 5:26:10 AM
You probably use the installer version 4.3...
Yes, I have installer version for 4.3. And you are right the gray bug lies in java 7/8. Yet I believed that my new JRE can over ride the java6 in SH3D. Is it possible to override the java6 -installer version with new JRE/JDK by configuring launch4j.ini or any other method ?. sad
As you seem to be able to modify the code, feel free to test it on your side.
I am confused that in which line and page consist of light creation.
I just want to turn Off sky light,Keep turned On IBL light and render. thinking
Sorry, I won't manage the moon...
Just asked because from 6.PM to 4.AM( 8.Hr) screen is black. laughing

The word 'Glow' taken from 3dsMax. If the script can produce light from Vertex/point then why it can't from mesh. thinking
It would be impossible (or much more complicate) to allow the user to import a .sh3f / .sh3t file that overwrites an existing one, without relaunching the program.
Wohoo. Its an unknown tip for me nice work. shhh applause

Can you make more sharper/high resolution images in 2D window(Top)like the 3d(bottom) does.?

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 11, 2014, 1:48:28 PM
Is it possible to override the java6 -installer version with new JRE/JDK […] ?
Simply replace the content of the jre6 subfolder of Sweet Home 3D installation folder by the content of jre7 or jre8 folders found in C:\Program files\Java.

I am confused that in which line and page consist of light creation.
I just want to turn Off sky light,Keep turned On IBL light and render.
IBL is generated here and Sky light here.

Can you make more sharper/high resolution images in 2D window(Top)like the 3d(bottom) does.?
Sharper = higher resolution = more memory. It would be probably a good idea to add this in preferences. Be sure to post a feature request to avoid I forget it. Meanwhile you just have to set a value higher size than 128 for the canvas used to generate plan icons in PlanComponent class.

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 12, 2014, 9:48:25 PM
Works with sun and IBL is failed .I think I need to study more about java programming with concentration.
Sharper = higher resolution = more memory. It would be probably a good idea to add this in preferences. Be sure to post a feature request to avoid I forget it
As you said I added a feature request .
I would like to indicate some mistake that feels from my side. thinking
1. Currently In virtual mode Observer angle become "Zero" when he look south.I think its a mistake because currently in positive angle(like 47/+47) value observer looks sunset. In civil/survey field positive value means observer looks sun rising.?
2. In 3d window Left top corner buttons are misplaced that means Upper arrow act as zoom in button instead of camera upwards(3rd button from top/above zoom out) and thus the others too.Camera Left and Right rotation works fine).
3. Svg exported file not working correctly.In Inkscape imported furniture and walls are placed randomly ,in illustrator a warning popup says "Item imported improperly. Clipping will be lost on roundtrip to Tiny".
4. Canvas does not need a negative value area or limit at a particular location.

I don't get the changes you made and indicated at here
As the correction is a tradeoff that could alter the image quality of the 3D view (mainly on the borders of walls, furniture...), please check if it works for you.
and at here
Did you notice at least some improvements about the 3D view resizing?
can you picturize it.? sick

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 12, 2014, 11:02:30 PM
sree.arun.kr, thanks for posting the feature request. smile
If you're sure to have found a bug in SVG export, please report a bug with a way to reproduce it, because it works on my side in Inkscape and browsers (but I don't have and won't buy Illustrator).

For your information, Sweet Home 3D 4.4 was released tonight. Thanks all for your tests and support.

Posted by okh at Jun 13, 2014, 9:22:19 AM
Sweet Home 3D 4.4 was released tonight.
Congratulations! ok

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 13, 2014, 3:56:13 PM
Thanks for the dedication. hugs I am happy to contribute for this application in future also.Hope I will have your support too.
Thank you once again. angel

Posted by pencilart at Jun 13, 2014, 7:54:41 PM
I am playing around with 4.4 and found the new stuff and I am loving it!
My favorite is being able to set a different texture for the furniture and the fact that you can set different textures for all the pieces of the furniture too! My models never looked so good!! Great job!

One thing I did notice on Windows 7: this feature does not seem to show up (or did I miss something?) I will look again when I'm on that computer later.
Attachment ModifiedFurniture-SH3D.png (196909 bytes) (Download count: 5086) (Modified furniture. Yay!!)
ModifiedFurniture-SH3D.png

Posted by sree.arun.kr at Jun 13, 2014, 8:53:47 PM
As I mentioned in previous comment about self illumination or glow can be done in sunflow by using the following method.

%% light sources

light {
type meshlight
name "meshlight"
emit 1 1 1
radiance 16
samples 32
points 4
-1.79750967026 -6.22097349167 5.70054674149
-2.28231739998 -7.26064729691 4.06224298477
-4.09493303299 -6.41541051865 4.06224298477
-3.61012482643 -5.37573671341 5.70054721832
triangles 2
0 1 2
0 2 3
}

This script can produce a rectangular shape mesh become self illuminating or emitting light in the scene. I think as a java programmer, you can easily work more on about it. And I will try to find more resource. thinking d oh silly biggrin
(I don't know the code but still working on it.)

Posted by sjimran at Jun 16, 2014, 10:03:23 AM
well working good...

Posted by pencilart at Jun 16, 2014, 6:54:41 PM
I figured out what my problem was:
it was being installed to "program files", whereas the previous version had been installed to the "(x86) program files" folder and it was not making the desktop start icon as it should have. Dunno why this was happening, but now I have it set right.
Works great!