Print at May 16, 2022, 6:09:05 AM
Posted by Puybaret at Apr 26, 2010, 2:48:00 AM
Advanced rendering plug-in
Here's the first version of a new plug-in able to render images depending on sun's position.
This plug-in is available at http://www.sweethome3d.eu/plugins/AdvancedRendering-1.1.sh3p
and adds the Tools > Create advanced photo... menu item.
This new item displays a dialog box with new options (English and French are supported):

The lights you can turn on or turn off are the ones included in SH3F libraries, but some of them don't have any effect.

Source code is included in the plug-in.

Have fun smile

[04/29/2010 : an error that shifted month value was fixed in version 1.1, which replaced version 1.0]

[03/14/2011 : The latest version of the Advanced rendering plug-in is available here.
Note that the features of this plug-in are integrated to Sweet Home 3D itself since version 3.0.
]

Note this plug-in isn't compatible with Sweet Home 3D from version 3.4.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 28, 2010, 4:04:16 PM
Re: Simulate sun position and lights/shadows
I just published an article in Sweet Home 3D blog about this plug-in, and done a few more small changes to the plug-in.

Posted by Puybaret at Apr 29, 2010, 4:33:13 PM
Sorry, I just discovered a bug I added in the version 1.0 of the plug-in when I copied the code contributed by fma: I shifted months value, because months in GregorianCalendar class are 0 based. sad

Therefore, I released the new version:
http://www.sweethome3d.eu/plugins/AdvancedRendering-1.1.sh3p
and removed links to the older version 1.0.

As plug-ins management automatically choses the most recent version of a same plug-in available under two different versions, you won't be obliged to remove version 1.0 after installing the new version. wink

Posted by db4tech at May 3, 2010, 7:08:39 PM
Hi Emmanuel,

I can't believe you've not have loads of replies about your new rendering plugin, it is incredible!! Maybe most people haven't noticed it yet? smile I'm new to Sweet Home 3D but for my first model I built a 2 floor building and this plug in has produced some fantastic lighting results!

Thank you also for your 3 extra lights. I have a request, would it be possible to give the lights a surface to make them visible in the '3D view' for easier positioning, I have carried out some tests and the candle lights (some of the only built in lights that work well) can be positioned then once in place can have their properties changed so the model is hidden, even when hidden this way it still produces a light source in the final advanced photo render.

Is there any way to make large size lights (like a lighting softbox) so soft shadows can be generated? At the moment all shadows apart from the 'ceiling light' produce hard edge shadows (they still look great though compared to the normal in built lighting!)

Also would you be able add an ambient lighting adjustment?

Plus (this is an easier request) could you add a button to the Advanced photo window so a user can select either Landscape or Portrait for the rendered view? At the moment the only way is to switch off 'Apply proportions' and type in the portrait resolution information.

Thank you for this great plugin it makes Sweet Home 3D complete. It's so good that I'm surprised you didn't replace the normal rendering method and release it as 'Sweet Home 3D version 4'! smile

db4tech

Posted by Puybaret at May 4, 2010, 4:43:58 PM
I can't believe you've not have loads of replies about your new rendering plugin, it is incredible!! Maybe most people haven't noticed it yet?
I don't think the 2500 hits on the blog article about the plug-in were made only by lost Internet users and search engine crawlers. wink

would it be possible to give the lights a surface to make them visible in the '3D view' for easier positioning
If you want to make them visible in the 3D view and 2D plan with the current version of the plug-in, the name of their 3D shape should be prefixed by "sweethome3d_window_pane" in the OBJ file (use a sphere.obj instead of light.obj for example) and they should be flagged as windows in PluginFurnitureCatalog.properties file, because the only objects that are not rendered are windows named this way.
I can build such a file if you want to, but then these lights will behave like windows when magnetism is active (they will make holes in walls when drop on or close to them). confused

even when hidden this way it still produces a light source in the final advanced photo render.
Please, consider this behavior as a bug that will be fixed in next version.

Is there any way to make large size lights (like a lighting softbox) so soft shadows can be generated?
That should be possible, by changing light radius. In the next version, I can use a variable radius depending on the size of the light.

Also would you be able add an ambient lighting adjustment?
SunFlow doesn't seem to have such kind of light.

could you add a button to the Advanced photo window so a user can select either Landscape or Portrait for the rendered view?
Why not...

It's so good that I'm surprised you didn't replace the normal rendering method and release it as 'Sweet Home 3D version 4'!
From your remarks, I'm was right not to do that since it's not perfect yet. wink
I'll probably add the advanced rendering parameters to Sweet Home 3D itself when SunFlow will be able to compute light going through panes and other transparent surfaces.

Posted by db4tech at May 5, 2010, 2:33:10 AM
I can't believe you've not have loads of replies about your new rendering plugin, it is incredible!! Maybe most people haven't noticed it yet?
I don't think the 2500 hits on the blog article about the plug-in were made only by lost Internet users and search engine crawlers. wink
Hi Emmanuel thank you for your reply,

I think possibly half of those are from me finding the plugin so amazing that I kept going back and re-reading parts of the blog biggrin

Keep in mind that all the lights generated during the rendering are still unable to go through transparent panes because of limitations in SunFlow. Nevertheless, Sun light and exterior lights are able to light the interior of a house through window panes with this plug-in, because it doesn't render them.
This is one area I would like to ask you about, because I think I have misunderstood what you have written. To see what would happen to the lights I tried a very quick test, here are the results.

Exciting results!

I used walls to build a box shape, added a room, then an extra wall across the middle, placed some windows and a door then some props and four lights on the other side of the room so the only way light could enter was through the door and windows.

PS: Left the time set after midnight to make sure no other lighting could influence the test (important because even with the 'Add sun light' button disabled the Sunlight is still rendered but with less intense shadows, I guess with the button disabled it is simulating external ambient daylight light and enabled is like strong Sunlight on a bright clear day?) Oh and I also made sure the only rendering tick box is the 'Turn on lamp lights'

In case you would like to see how I positioned the lighting I've added a download link for the model.
>>> Here <<<

Further ideas:
I was thinking rather than you having to develop lots of different lights would it be easier to create a plugin for users to design their own style lighting, so they can choose intensity, radius and also importantly the colour of the lights (at the moment there is only the white lights you kindly made or the yellow light from the supplied candles)

Thank you for your time.
Hope your week is going well.

db4tech

Posted by db4tech at May 5, 2010, 3:48:34 AM
Ah I've just discovered what you mean. If a user creates a glass object then imports it but without ticking the door/window tick box then it appears as glass in the 3D view but light doesn't render through it; if they then take the same glass object and import but this time click the door/windows tick box it still appears the same in the 3D view but is rendered as an invisible object so light passes through the space.

Aww I got all excited again after my above test results! sad

This also explains why I wasn't able to add a shiny surface to one of my floors. Knowing that imported objects can be coloured or textured with an image map I wanted to make a wooded floor with a slight gloss to it (without having to make a massive imported shiny wood textured obj or lots of the same object repeated)

So within (Sweet Home 3D) I used a box (the building has two floors) for the first floor, applied a repeating wood jpg texture and was then going to overlay a thin, small (made larger in Sweet Home 3D to cover the textured box) semi shiny glass obj over the floor but kept wondering why the floor with overlaid glass obj always appeared black with reflections while the glass in a doors didn't seem to stop the light, because they aren't actually rendering the glass as glass.

Interesting!

db4tech

Posted by Puybaret at May 9, 2010, 8:14:29 PM
Hi,

I just released the version 1.2 of the Advanced rendering plug-in with the following new features:
- I removed the threshold set on shininess. In the previous version, a shininess smaller than 64 was ignored. If some objects get too shiny, you can decrease their shininess by setting the "Ns" value in their MTL file (a 0 or 1 value meaning not shiny) and reimport them, or by setting their color in Sweet Home 3D with the furniture modification dialog.
- I enlarged a little lamp lights to soften shadows.
- I added "Depth of field" and "Fisheye" lens types. When "Depth of field" is chosen, focus point is computed at 2.5 m (100 inches). This distance sounded reasonable to me to get a nice effect, but we could change it as it could also be possible to change the depth of field itself.
- I added 3 check boxes to render walls, floors and/or ceilings a little shiny. They will change the shininess of all the walls, all the floors and all the ceilings. I guess it could be nice to set the shininess individually on each wall side, floor or ceiling, but I'm not sure it's so useful.

Here's a capture of the 1.2 dialog:

As you can see, shininess (on the walls and the floor) and focus blur (on the objects at left) remains quite subtle, and I hope you'll like it that way. smile
Objects very close to the camera or very far from focus point will get blurer as shown on this image:

Of course, don't expect that these additional options will speed up rendering process! wink

The plugin is available at http://www.sweethome3d.eu/plugins/AdvancedRendering-1.2.sh3p

As plug-ins management automatically choses the most recent version of a same plug-in available under different versions, you won't be obliged to remove previous versions after installing the new version.

Posted by fma at May 9, 2010, 10:08:11 PM
Great!!! Thanks for this update!
Frédéric

Posted by db4tech at May 9, 2010, 10:34:48 PM
Amazing! Thank you Emmanuel

You do realise as a photographer I'm now going to ask you for the ability to control the depth of field by selecting an aperture setting from a drop down box (f/1.0 - to f/22) and also the ability to choose the point of focus biggrin

The last part could be quite difficult so I'll give you a few days off first! (Just kidding) I guess the virtual visitor in the plan view would need to have a marker projected in front of it to indicate the point of focus and also a dotted triangle expanding both towards the virtual visitor and away at the same time, to help illustrate the depth of field.

Just one idea for a future release!? smile

PS: Are the new larger size lights available to download or does the new plug-in interpret the 3 lights as a larger by default? Can't wait for a massive softbox size light for ultra soft shadows, it's your new lighting plug-in and soft shadows that add the most realism to a final render.

db4tech

Posted by Puybaret at May 10, 2010, 9:09:17 PM
You do realise as a photographer I'm now going to ask you for the ability to control the depth of field by selecting an aperture setting from a drop down box (f/1.0 - to f/22) and also the ability to choose the point of focus
As an amateur photographer myself, I would be tempted to add these settings myself too. But as Sweet Home 3D developer, I prefer to keep it simple and propose more depth of field choices to advanced users.
The idea I have in mind now, is to propose maybe 6 different "depth of fields" in the Lens combo box:
- Short depth of field / Focus 1m,
- Short depth of field / Focus 2.5m,
- Short depth of field / Focus Infinity,
- Great depth of field / Focus 1m,
- Great depth of field / Focus 2.5m,
- Great depth of field / Focus Infinity.
What do you think of this idea?

Are the new larger size lights available to download or does the new plug-in interpret the 3 lights as a larger by default?
The new plug-in interprets all light sources as twice larger.

If you want to create soft shadows maybe you could use reflected lights close to a shiny surface or an umbrella as a real photographer would do. wink
In case you need it I created the umbrella 3d model you can import.
Attachment umbrella.zip (9407 bytes) (Download count: 2165) (Shiny umbrella 3D model.)

Posted by db4tech at May 10, 2010, 10:52:55 PM
Hi,
I like your idea of offering a choice for different depth of field. will you be sticking to the laws of physics in that a close focus point always allows a shallower depth of field than a further focus point?

Not sure if this link might be useful.

One question in connection with shallow depth of field does SunFlow only have one method of blurring the out of focus areas?

From my first render, with shallow depth of field, sadly SunFlow doesn't produce smooth bokeh, which even though it is out of focus, it doesn't make it look as out of focus as it could be as some edges are quite sharp and angular. sad

db4tech

PS: For those wondering what 'bokeh' is, in photography it is the quality of an out of focus area in a photograph, some camera lenses produce nice silky smooth graduations in the out of focus areas, while others produce strange uneven busy patterns.

Posted by Puybaret at May 10, 2010, 11:08:41 PM
A bokeh parameter is available in SunFlow but I didn't try it.
I'll have to try it. wink

Posted by db4tech at May 11, 2010, 12:46:22 AM
Sounds interesting!

I have created some extra (coloured) lights for use when using Emanuel's new Advanced rendering plug-in.

There are 8 new lights in total (also notice the fireglow) smile

The original basiclights.sh3f will need uninstalling or duplicate names will show, this pack also contains the original lights. All lights including originals have been renamed, so when used in a model they will all stay together on a furniture list, making finding them and editing easier.

These have been cleared with Emmanuel.

Have fun!
db4tech

Edit: Fix and replace broken image link
Attachment BasicPlusExtraLights.sh3f (138071 bytes) (Download count: 962)

Posted by Puybaret at May 11, 2010, 8:45:23 AM
Nice experimentation. smile
I'm glad you discovered by yourself that the lightSourceColor property could be any color!

For anyone tempted to create its own lights with SH3F files, note that the 4 keys in a PluginFurnitureCatalog.properties file that defines the light sources of the nth piece:

lightSourceX#n=
lightSourceY#n=
lightSourceZ#n=
lightSourceColor#n=

can cite one light source as in the following example:

lightSourceX#1=5
lightSourceY#1=5
lightSourceZ#1=5
lightSourceColor#1=#FFFFFF

but also more than one light source as in the following example with 3 lights of different colors:

lightSourceX#1=0 5.5 11
lightSourceY#1=0 11 0
lightSourceZ#1=5.5 5.5 5.5
lightSourceColor#1=#FF0000 #00FF00 #0000FF

Note axis directions when you define the x, y, z coordinates of each light source:

Posted by db4tech at May 15, 2010, 9:18:38 PM
Puybaret wrote:

Hi,

I just released the version 1.2 of the Advanced rendering plug-in with the following new features:
- I removed the threshold set on shininess. In the previous version, a shininess smaller than 64 was ignored. If some objects get too shiny, you can decrease their shininess by setting the "Ns" value in their MTL file (a 0 or 1 value meaning not shiny) and reimport them, or by setting their color in Sweet Home 3D with the furniture modification dialog.
- I enlarged a little lamp lights to soften shadows.

Hi Emmanuel,

When importing .obj files (created in Art of Illusion) into Sweet Home, then rendering using your Advanced render 1.2 I am still only able to produce either a matt finish or glass like surface with nothing in between:

(Art of Illusion Wooden floor.obj Texture shininess 0.0, Wooden floor.obj then imported and rendered with Sweet Home 3D)

(Art of Illusion Wooden floor.obj Texture shininess 0.1, Wooden floor.obj then imported and rendered with Sweet Home 3D)

The Art of Illusion texture shininess setting goes all the way to 1.0 , the most I have used is 0.1 and still getting glass like reflections, what am I doing wrong?

This is the type of reflection I would like (Photoshop mock-up)

Are there some other values I can alter to produce a slightly shiny floor like in my Photoshop sample or is it a limitation of SunFlow?

If it is a SunFlow limitation would it be possible to use another render engine from within Sweet Home like YafaRay or does it have to be a Java based engine?

Yafaray render.

PS: The floor texture I used is from a free texture source.
Oh and larger lamp lights please for when not using the ceiling light setting. wink

Thank you in advance for your help.
db4tech

Posted by Puybaret at May 15, 2010, 11:27:33 PM
Art Of Illusion exports the shininess and the roughness of a texture in the Ks and Ns values of the MTL file accompanying an OBJ file. Ks values is rendered in Sweet Home 3D as the specular color and Ns is used to know how shiny is an object.
When I translated these values in SunFlow renderer, I chose to use a diffuse shader for matt textures and a shiny shader for shiny textures (with a Ns value > 1).
Maybe I didn't make the best choice for the final rendering, but I preferred these shaders because they worked pretty well and quickly. In the facts, even for a very small shininess value, SunFlow's shiny shader still renders a texture quite shiny as you saw.

The following image shows how a sphere may be rendered with the various shaders available in SunFlow:

I guess I should better use uber shader instead of shiny shader, but the little white dots you can see on row C2 and C3 doesn't make a photorealistic rendering at all...

[...] would it be possible to use another render engine from within Sweet Home like YafaRay or does it have to be a Java based engine?
From my point of view, the first conditions are free license and portability: it must run on all systems where Sweet Home 3D is available. Then, it's easier to integrate a rendering engine programmed in Java from a Java program, than running a separate process that you can't easily integrate in the program.

Posted by db4tech at May 16, 2010, 12:21:50 AM
Thank you for the information.

I have just tried several NS values and found 1=matt surface any setting above 1, even 1.000001=full glass like reflections, the shiny shader always seems to produce full glass like reflections no matter what value above 1 is set.

If you decide to do some tests to see how Uber rendering compares does that then mean the glass objects will render, allowing light rays through also allowing caustics?
With the Uber render example aren't the dots just the multiple light sources they used? In which case they won't be a problem with room rendering.

Yes I should have mentioned, YafaRay is open source and is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Thank you for your reply.

I would be quite happy to beta test Uber rendering for you.
db4tech

Posted by db4tech at May 16, 2010, 12:37:26 PM
Is this information helpful?

Importance sampling turned on (lock false) (Looks a lot better)

So a conclusion one could draw from these tests is that when using the phong and uber shaders with high power and glossy values respectively, using importance sampling can reduce the light points from the ibl. Increasing samples does not rid the phong and uber shaders of, what Kirk referred to as, “constellations.”

I've probably not understood the complexity of the shaders. So from a layman's perspective. If Uber shader doesn't work well or is too slow, could you use the shaders you were using before but insert a Phong shader in the middle?

Diffuse shader for matt surfaces, Phong shader (C1,C2 and C3) for slightly shiny surfaces then Shiny shader for glass like reflections?

If I have oversimplified the operation of the shaders and got it all wrong I hope my post makes you smile and brightens your day smile

db4tech

Update:
On closer inspection Phong shader C1 looks very strange, maybe Uber shader with importance sampling turned on might be a good all round solution, what are your thoughts?

Edit to add update

Posted by Puybaret at May 19, 2010, 7:51:11 AM
If you decide to do some tests to see how Uber rendering compares does that then mean the glass objects will render, allowing light rays through also allowing caustics?
I think transparency management is an other problem, but now that I finished DAE/Collada support in current beta version, I'm going to work on it.
I've made some tests with caustics too, but it slows down rendering process too much (for more information about caustics please read this nice article). I feel caustics are probably nice to render one or two transparent objects but not a whole scene with many potential transparent objects.

I would be quite happy to beta test Uber rendering for you.
Thank you. Your help will be precious since rendering process is often lengthy and I don't always think to test special camera locations like you did. wink

If Uber shader doesn't work well or is too slow, could you use the shaders you were using before but insert a Phong shader in the middle?
I never tried using multiple shaders per object. I'll have to test that. Thank you for the idea! smile

Posted by db4tech at May 20, 2010, 3:45:32 PM
I never tried using multiple shaders per object. I'll have to test that. Thank you for the idea! smile

Just as long as you don't use Phong C1 biggrin even with Importance sampling turned on it still looks like a squashed ball compared to Uber shader.

Can't wait to test this and see the new render results!

Thanks,

db4tech

Posted by db4tech at May 21, 2010, 8:09:07 PM
Hi Emmanuel,

Firstly thank you for the interesting link on caustics.

Now that advanced rendering plug-in version 1.2 has been thoroughly tested (oh! Also not forgetting the BasicPlusExtraLights.sh3f package of course! wink He he) will you be updating the front page so people who don't visit the forum can know about them? Many may still be using version 1.1 and not even know about 1.2.

db4tech

Posted by Puybaret at May 21, 2010, 10:47:42 PM
To db4tech and other interested testers,
Here are two temporary plug-ins that will let you test SunFlow's Uber and Phong Shader:
http://www.sweethome3d.com/plugins/AdvancedRendering-PhongShader-1.3.sh3p
http://www.sweethome3d.com/plugins/AdvancedRendering-UberShader-1.3.sh3p
These plug-ins create two new menu items in Tools menu, so you can distinguish them from each other.

To change the shininess of an object, you'll have to play with the shininess value and the specular color stored in the Ns et Ks parameters of its MTL file. If you're patient enough, try to render different existing homes in the galeries, and give us your opinion.

Please don't link these files in an other document, because I'll probably delete them once we decide which track to follow.

[Note]
2010/05/26: These two plug-ins were updated to support models at DAE/Collada format.

Posted by db4tech at May 21, 2010, 10:52:09 PM
Here are two temporary plug-ins that will let you test SunFlow's Uber and Phong Shader:
These plug-ins create two new menu items in Tools menu, so you can distinguish them from each other.

To change the shininess of an object, you'll have to play with the shininess value and the specular color stored in the Ns et Ks parameters of its MTL file. If you're patient enough, try to render different existing homes in the galeries, and give us your opinion.

Please don't link these files in an other document, because I'll probably delete them once we decide which track to follow.

Thank you Emmanuel already downloaded and can't wait to test them!!!!! smile

db4tech

Posted by db4tech at May 22, 2010, 2:23:36 AM
I've still not managed to get a slightly shiny floor yet.

Here is how the same scene renders with the 3 different shaders.

For reference. Normal Advanced photo render version 1.2 (Shiny shader)

Phong shader

Uber shader

Uber shader seems to be badly affected by the room ceiling light, the problem disappears if the ceiling light is turned off (Emmanuel is this with Importance sampling turned on?) Phong shader is slightly affected by the ceiling light.

Here are my findings so far (apart from the floor) with Phong and Uber shaders all items that should be reflective are even more reflective, notice the knobs on the unit and strangely the curtains?

Apart from the obvious ceiling light issues, both Phong and Uber shaders render all lights used in a scene with a brighter intensity than Shiny shader, Phong slightly brighter and Uber very brightly, notice the window frame and chair reflecting brightly the lights illuminating the scene placed behind the virtual visitor.

Render speeds:
Shiny shader is the fastest
Phong and Uber about the same, sometimes Phong was faster, other times Uber was, it was too close to call without carrying out some accurately timed renders.

More tests to follow.
db4tech

Posted by hansmex at May 22, 2010, 8:42:13 PM
db4tech:

Could you make your file available? I would like to do some tests on exactly the same file as you are using.

Hans
Dual boot - AMD FX6300 6-core, 16GB ram
Windows 10 Pro, SH3D 6.2 with 8 GB memory allowance
Ubuntu 18.04, SH3D 6.2 with 2 GB memory allowance

Posted by db4tech at May 23, 2010, 4:31:19 AM
Hi Hans,

Yes of course, it isn't a fully designed house or room, just a quick purposely built model for this test.

db4tech
Attachment Reflection test room.sh3d (729940 bytes) (Download count: 1896)

Posted by hansmex at May 23, 2010, 9:50:24 AM
Gentlemen:

It works. I get exactly the same results.

Hans

Posted by fhoofman at May 23, 2010, 10:58:11 AM
confused   Re: Simulate sun position and lights/shadows

mr Puybaret, i tried your http://www.sweethome3d.com/plugins/AdvancedRendering-PhongShader-1.3.sh3p

and then my render become weird. unlike normal as the picture you mention above. and the i choose "tools => create advance photo".
the render still weird.
can you help me?

Posted by hansmex at May 23, 2010, 11:02:22 AM
fhoofman:

Can you show us the pictures of your renders?

Hans

Posted by fhoofman at May 23, 2010, 11:31:17 AM
you can see at
http://images.fhoofman.multiply.com/image/1/p...Rik8fA&nmid=338466826

it should be normal rendering when I choose "tools => create advance photo"

by the way mr puybaret, search box at right corner at website, does it work? because I don't see how it work.
I'm using firefox 3.6
thax so much

Posted by Puybaret at May 23, 2010, 4:20:17 PM
I don't see any problem with your equirectangular/spherical image. I viewed it with Panini with no problem, except its low resolution doesn't give wonderful results.

Thank you for reporting the problem in the search box. Last update of the search engine seems to have failed. I updated it again and it works correctly now.

Posted by fhoofman at May 23, 2010, 4:30:42 PM
I don't see any problem with your equirectangular/spherical image. I viewed it with Panini with no problem, except its low resolution doesn't give wonderful results.

Thank you for reporting the problem in the search box. Last update of the search engine seems to have failed. I updated it again and it works correctly now.

that's what I mean. the result equirectangular/spherical image should work when I choose "tools->create advanced photo phong shader"

but when I choose "tools => create advance photo" (the regular one), it stills show equirectangular/spherical.

I want the regular one.

Posted by fhoofman at May 23, 2010, 4:34:28 PM
I keep embarrassed my self. I should choose the right "lens"
I'm so sorry. everything is so new with me

Posted by Puybaret at May 23, 2010, 4:44:03 PM
db4tech and Hans, thank you for your tests. smile

notice the knobs on the unit and strangely the curtains?
The curtains use a flwhite material equal to:
Ka 0.6449 0.6116 0.5447
Kd 0.9837 0.9309 0.8392
Ks 0.8082 0.7290 0.5708
illum 2
Ns 200.0000

Therefore they are too shiny.
Before Sweet Home 3D supported MTL files, the colors of 3D models were colors predefined in this document, and many contributors (including me) were choosing a color without taking into account its shininess and specular color defined with newmtl tags here.
If we go forward with lights management, the shininess of all these old 3D models will have to be reviewed, but this is a tedious work that won't be done until we find the good parameters for the renderers and the shaders.

The window frame and probably the chair have the same problem.
Maybe I should simply reduce shininess and specular color when I use them in SunFlow renderer.

Posted by Puybaret at May 23, 2010, 4:51:17 PM
fhoofman, Uber shader and Phong shader plug-ins are for test purpose only. I developed them quickly on the basis of the advanced rendering plug-in, and I'll probably delete them later.
If the unstable state of these 2 plug-ins bothers you, please simply don't use or test them.

Posted by db4tech at May 23, 2010, 9:36:15 PM
Update! smile

I have finally located the settings to achieve the floor style I want Yay!

At first I thought I had found them using the Phong shader but then it turns out that Phong is only able to produce this type of reflection, try getting a plain shiny floor without diffused reflections like Shiny shader when using Phong, even the shiniest surface is diffused!?
So I experimented further and found the settings for Uber, Uber can produce surfaces with a matt finish, diffused reflection through to full glass like reflections.

I also found out that the nasty ceiling light scattering using Uber was caused the default Art of Illusion roughness setting (the Ns value being too low)

One strange thing though, the chair seat has no colour with Uber, could be as Emmanuel mentioned about some original objects being designed with unusual surface colour and values.

Oh and lights aren't rendering brighter with the new shaders, it is just that they are reflecting more.

Okay enough talk here are the results:
First normal Advanced photo render (Shiny shader)

Then Phong

While trying to produce a result like Shiny shader using Phong, this next image is the closest I can get??

Finally Uber (Perfect result)

Apart from some object textures that need fixing Uber produces the closest to the result I want and is the most versatile shader being able to produce dull, shinier or right through to (if required) a glass like surfaces.

Very happy with Uber! smile
db4tech

Posted by Puybaret at May 24, 2010, 8:57:06 PM
Thank you db4tech for your nice report.
Uber shader seems to give nice results. smile

I'll have to see if I can use it instead of the shiny shader, but I'm not sure it will be part of the next release. The latest fixes in Beta 2.4 push me to release it very soon.

Posted by db4tech at May 24, 2010, 11:56:38 PM
You're welcome!

Yes I have been carefully watching your Beta 2.4 thread with great interest but had to go back to using 2.3 to test the shaders and also so I could render my model with my extra lights and without the ceiling light.

Okay time for a further shader update.

I tried rendering one of the test models available on the Gallery page and found when using Uber (like the chair seat) the leaves render grey.

After some experimentation I think I now know why.

I could be wrong but I believe just a few tweaks are required to solve both problems. I found with my tree test (as with the curtains and some other surfaces in my room test) that the grey leaves are caused by their texture value being seen as too shiny, at the moment shiny textures values are being interpreted as off the scale so are then rendered grey instead (parts of the curtains where they become too shiny are also grey). Also the rough texture values are being interpreted as too rough which is what caused the extreme light scattering in my first few room render tests.

So rather than needing to edit every model the only thing that should need adjusting is how Uber interprets the presented shiny and rough texture values, smile

After finding the tree leaf solution I then tried editing the textures of the chair model to see if my above hypothesis was correct but sadly the chair model contains layered UV mapped textures, once I exported the model as an .obj from Art of Illusion with the shiny texture corrections, I was then unable to load the model into Sweet Home.

I suppose you are also going to want to know how I managed to get such nice looking grass! wink

db4tech

Further thoughts:
Since Uber shader is a mix of a few shaders, is it possible that instead of the leaves and some other shiny surfaces being grey that their shiny value is being mistakenly interpreted to high so they are being rendered with a Mirror shader instead? Just trying to think of a solution to the phenomena.

Edit: to add further thoughts.

Posted by hansmex at May 26, 2010, 8:43:06 PM
Gentlemen (and gentleladies, off course):

Here is a short test with four shaders, from left to right: Photo, Advanced photo, Phong and Uber.

The two gentlemen are from Google, there is one strong light approx. 50-75 cms in front of them at 1.50 meters height.

I'll do some more tests tomorrow; there's a political debate on TV that begs my attention.

Hans

Posted by db4tech at May 29, 2010, 7:50:59 PM
Hi Emmanuel,

I'm not sure if you have done any further work on the shaders since version 1.3 of advanced and Uber, so I will present some findings using version 1.3.

Could there be a memory leak with the shaders or SunFlow? I ask this because if I render the same scene (containing lots of textures) then change a few things to improve the scene, then re-render (I do this quite a lot tweaking things (400x300 fast setting)) at first the renders are very fast but then renders start to slow down, eventually the scene tries to render, thinks for a while and a red x shows. The only fix is to close Sweet Home then start Sweet Home again with the same scene, after this rendering is very fast for a while.

I have tried this with more than one model (for my course work) to be honest, when I am happy everything looks right and I am ready for a final render, I always close the Sweet Home program then open it because it renders my final scene faster.

db4tech

Posted by hansmex at May 29, 2010, 8:34:43 PM
db3tech, Emmanuel:

DB, that's an interesting observation. I didn't test it as methodically as you did, but it rings a bell. I sometimes get "half" renders, where the rendering stops halfway the picture. Also, when rendering this picture in high quality (size 400x300 pixels) it took AGES (as in "several hours") to complete. Maybe that was because I used around 25 lights, but the rest of the scene was very simple: just the lady and the tree (OK, that's a complex model) and a wall with a small texture.

If I have more time, I will certainly try to do some more testing in the next days.

Hans

Posted by db4tech at May 29, 2010, 9:09:30 PM
Hi Hans,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I have experienced half (or unfinished) renders too when the render engine either thinks it has finished or runs out of buffer space? It doesn't happen very often but once it has happened the only solution (as mentioned in my previous post) is to close and reopen Sweet Home, then all is well (unless lots more renders are carried out)

Hope you are having a nice weekend.
db4tech

PS: Yes I spotted the render of your lady friend wink Emmanuel's comment made me smile.

db3tech, Emmanuel:

Hans

PPS: Have I been downgraded? db3tech biggrin laughing

Posted by Puybaret at May 29, 2010, 11:20:00 PM
Could there be a memory leak with the shaders or SunFlow?

Thank you db4tech for giving details how to reproduce this bug.
You were on the right track because the problem comes from textures management in SunFlow. I just discovered it uses internally some kind of cache for the textures which is never reset.
Too bad we discover this problem after the version 2.4 release. sad
There's a dirty fix that I can program in the next release of the plug-in. I'll see if I do it or not.

Posted by hansmex at May 30, 2010, 1:11:31 AM
db5tech:

No

Hans

Posted by db4tech at May 30, 2010, 4:09:07 PM
Could there be a memory leak with the shaders or SunFlow?

Thank you db4tech for giving details how to reproduce this bug.
You were on the right track because the problem comes from textures management in SunFlow. I just discovered it uses internally some kind of cache for the textures which is never reset.
Too bad we discover this problem after the version 2.4 release. sad
There's a dirty fix that I can program in the next release of the plug-in. I'll see if I do it or not.

Would the dirty fix be to force the cache to reuse the same memory address space?
If so and the cache space isn't being cleared each time, won't you then have the problem of diminishing returns? Still encountering slowdowns, eventually running out of texture memory space caused by memory fragmentation.

db5tech (Thanks Hans!) smile

Posted by hansmex at May 31, 2010, 1:50:40 PM
Emmanuel, db4tech:

After some testing I can confirm there's a memory bug in the advanced photo plug-ins. When I render the same scene several times, even if it's just a relatively small scene, it stops halfway during the sixth or so render, and after that only shows a red cross in the render window. So it would definitely seem that memory is filling up for some reason.

I have a file called "/home/hans/SweetHome3D-2.4/SweetHome3D.l4j.ini" with "-Xmx1024m" in the same directory as where the v2.4 file is. When I increased this value to 2048, I could make 13 successive renders of that same scene. On the 14th run the rendering stopped halfway,and after hanging (half) a minute I could close the rendering window.

Hans

Posted by melonfrog at Jun 1, 2010, 3:51:36 PM
By installing the BasicPlusExtraLights.sh3f plugin, do you mean to copy the BasicPlusExtraLights.sh3f to the plugins directory?

Posted by hansmex at Jun 1, 2010, 4:33:27 PM
Melonfrog:

Yes, that's all you have to do. The program checks this directory while starting, and loads all plug-ins present.

Hans

Posted by db4tech at Jun 1, 2010, 5:32:24 PM
Hi Melonfrog and Hans,

The BasicPlusExtraLights.sh3f needs to go in the furniture directory rather than the plug-in directory, otherwise the lights won't be available on the furniture list. Melonfrog if it is helpful for future downloads the files extension is the clue to its location sh3p are plug-in's and sh3f are furniture.

If using a Windows computer (will probably work on other Operating Systems too) all you need to do is double click on the downloaded (in this case BasicPlusExtraLights.sh3f) file and it will be automatically installed in the correct directory.

db4tech/db5tech smile

Posted by hansmex at Jun 1, 2010, 5:34:25 PM
db6tech:

Due to inflation..... hehehe

Sorry, I didn't sleep enough, I guess. Off course it's a furniture file. I'll try to remember to read the question before answering it.

Sorry Melonfrog!

Hans

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 1, 2010, 7:27:00 PM
SH3F fles may be installed with Furniture > Import furniture library... menu item too.

Posted by melonfrog at Jun 3, 2010, 2:54:29 AM
Thanks everyone.
Still learning on how to position the lights to create the proper effect.

One question, will it take a long time to render using this plugin?
I have problem with it stopping during rendering too.

Posted by hansmex at Jun 3, 2010, 8:08:41 AM
Melonfrog:

Rendering can take a very long time, depending on:
- the speed of your computer
- the size of your model
- the number of lights you are using (try the same model with 2 and 20 lights)
- the size of the photo you make
- the quality settings of your photo render.

Because rendering uses a lot of memory you may choose to increase the maximum memory settings that SH3D can use. Read this thread for an explanation.

Hans

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 9, 2010, 1:13:55 PM
Here are new releases of the Advanced Rendering plug-ins:
http://www.sweethome3d.com/plugins/AdvancedRendering-1.4.sh3p
http://www.sweethome3d.com/plugins/AdvancedRendering-UberShader-1.4.sh3p

It brings corrections for two annoying bugs:
- The wrong rendering that happened with some double-sided 3D models like many DAE/Collada ones is fixed (but not the other problem seen on very few 3D models where triangles appear at rendering),
- The memory leak some of you tested is not completely fixed, but rendering the same home again and again with Advanced Rendering plug-ins won't consume more memory anymore. The memory leak comes from a static textures cache I wasn't aware of, and it will completely be fixed in next Sweet Home 3D release with a new SunFlow library.

Thank you for reporting problems. smile

Posted by db4tech at Jun 9, 2010, 2:08:56 PM
Wow fantastic thank you! smile

Do you know that the Uber shader window is displaying Create Advanced photo Phong shader Uber shader?

db4tech

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 9, 2010, 3:22:53 PM
Errare humanum est sad

I updated the Uber shader plug-in.

Posted by db4tech at Jun 12, 2010, 3:24:19 PM
I have created some extra (coloured) lights for use when using Emanuel's new Advanced rendering plug-in.

There are 8 new lights in total (also notice the fireglow) smile

The original basiclights.sh3f will need uninstalling or duplicate names will show, this pack also contains the original lights. All lights including originals have been renamed, so when used in a model they will all stay together on a furniture list, making finding them and editing easier.

These have been cleared with Emmanuel.

Have fun!
db4tech

Users wanting to download BasicPlusExtraLights.sh3f please note, there is now an updated version 1.2

Here is a link and information about the latest version. smile
>>> Click Here <<<

db4tech

Posted by db4tech at Jun 29, 2010, 9:36:03 PM
People!
Please stop downloading version 1.1 of the BasicPlusExtraLights. biggrin

BasciPlusExtraLights version 1.2 is so much nicer! smile

Version 1.2 BasicPlusExtraLights.sh3f Preview

>>> Here is the link <<<

db4tech

Posted by Puybaret at Aug 26, 2010, 9:35:57 PM
I'm pleased to announce the release of the version 1.6 of the Advanced rendering plug-in.

As described in Sweet Home 3D blog, it brings these new features:
- Uber shader can be chosen by selecting the Silk radio button. This will render walls, floors, ceilings as silk if you selected also the matching check boxes, and 3D objects will appear as matte, silk or shiny depending on their shininess.
- If you select the Use light bulb angle as power knob check box, the power emitted by the light bulbs coming from the updated basicLights.sh3f or the BasicPlusExtraLights.sh3f will depend on their angle in the plan.
- Finally, it's now possible to let light go through furniture glass panes by selecting Compute glass transparency. Miserably, this last feature doesn't work when a sunlight is added.

I hope you'll appreciate these new features and am looking forward the images you'll create with them. Again a big thank to db4tech for all the time he spent to help me.

[Edit: Fixed the bad link to the plug-in. Thank you HectiGonzalez for reporting this problem]

Posted by HectiGonzalez at Aug 27, 2010, 5:32:17 AM
wowwwwwwwwww... first off congratulations on this amazing soft and these unbelievable render plugs. I found this program a week ago, I´m making a 3d animation and I needed something exactly like this to make the scenaries. Also very useful the tip of the memory tunning with the txt file. So Puybaret, db4tech and all the ones that help to develop this great soft congratulations.
I will be uploading the video when I finish it and of course will give the correspondant credit to sweet home 3d and it´s people.
see you

P.S: I correct the link to the 1.6 version of the render plug in
http://www.sweethome3d.com/plugins/AdvancedRendering-1.6.sh3p

Posted by Puybaret at Aug 27, 2010, 8:30:29 AM
By the way I forgot to mention that from version 1.6, the sphere of the bulb lights coming from the updated SH3F files have a diameter equal to the maximum value between their width and their depth (so it will be 10 cm by default).
The sphere of the other lights have a diameter equal to 6.5 cm that allows to use almost all the lights of the available SH3F files as light sources (see image bellow), but may change how your images will look compared to the previous versions of the plug-in.
If this last diameter is too large, you always have the option to import again the given light from 3D models page with the import furniture wizard, then you add one of the updated bulb lights in the imported light and change the size of the light bulb.

Posted by db4tech at Aug 27, 2010, 9:38:46 AM
You're welcome Emmanuel!

I really hope the extra features and rendering tweaks help many users by allowing even more photo realism.
I too greatly look forward to seeing users renders in the gallery section, using the new features that version 1.6 brings! smile

Here are a couple of examples to let users see what is now possible with the new Silk setting.

Firstly Pencilart's kitchen sink and units (thank you again Pencilart!) using the glossy setting. As a guide, this is all the original Advanced renderer was capable of producing.

Now here is the same scene, rendered using the Silk setting which (apart from being able to produce glossy and diffused surfaces) can also render real (diffused or shiny) chrome.

The Silk setting does take a bit longer to render scenes, because it uses a far more advanced shader. So only choose this setting if your scene contains different levels of diffuse surfaces and/or chrome.
If not the Glossy setting will be faster.

If anyone has any questions (or comments) please feel free to ask(or post)

Right I really must stop and get some sleep, just wanted to post these first to help.

Take care all and enjoy! smile

db4tech

Posted by Puybaret at Aug 27, 2010, 7:24:58 PM
I just fixed a few small bugs in the Advanced rendering plug-in and updated the last plug-in file accordingly.
Sorry for the problem. No one is perfect. wink

Posted by db4tech at Aug 27, 2010, 9:05:31 PM
Ha ha smoothly done! wink

Pleased to find you killed the bug, preventing old lamps mixed with new lamps (when using user light control) causing the render to fail.

Plus other tweaks! wink wink

Thanks!

db4tech

Posted by pencilart at Aug 28, 2010, 12:25:36 AM
Wow db4tech! That looks awesome! That second render is the way the sink should look! :D ^_^ :D

Great job you guys!!

Posted by db4tech at Sep 1, 2010, 10:18:25 PM
Hi Emmanuel,

I've just realised why caustics don't render (or appear to render, you'll understand why I said this in a moment) while "Add sunlight" is ticked.

Since the added sunlight is a very distant, bright sphere light, the photons emitted for caustics are being emitted by this source so never reach their destination. That's my theory anyway. smile

On the subject of ibl and sunsky not reflecting with uber, this one is really puzzling me. Found out the only reason my simple math formula produced ibl and sunsky reflections is, because the values as fractions exceeded zero into minus figures. Your math formula is right, sorry I thought it was due to objects becoming to shiny!

As a test:
this.sunflow.parameter("glossyness", (float) 0.0); (very shiny and produces sunsky / ibl reflections)
this.sunflow.parameter("glossyness", (float) 0.00000000000000001); (still very shiny but doesn't produce sunsky / ibl reflections)

Have tried many other values and ideas.
Any > 0 never reflects.

Really wish I could figure this out! sad Uber ibl reflections are clearly visible at all logarithmic values in this image.

Hope you're having a nice week! smile

db4tech

Posted by fhoofman at Sep 3, 2010, 12:06:06 AM
here's a sample render using gloosy option
at the right corner at the Schneider logo, I want to make a straight line of lamp, but cannot make a right choice. crying

it took me 2 hours to render it at 1400x655, but it's worth. the image produced is very good. I wonder what is the best option to choose since that "advanced render" has too many option? and I don't see any difference

@db4tech : how can you do that sink? is that depend on the obj? nerd

Posted by db4tech at Oct 6, 2010, 8:45:32 PM
Hi fhoofman,

I didn't notice your question at the bottom of your render! sad

Its connected with settings found in the .mtl file of pencilart's kitchen sink .obj model. It contains a texture and also settings, that when rendered with the Silk setting, produces the great chrome effect. smile

Hope that helps answer your question.
Sorry for the late reply!

db4tech

Posted by noxx at Jun 22, 2011, 9:46:44 PM
great plugin, but it is possible to add a button
"save and shutdown pc after rendering" ?

Posted by hansmex at Jun 22, 2011, 10:46:57 PM
Ralf,

As of version 3.0 this plug-in is obsolete. It's functions have been integrated into the standard version of SH3D. Moreover, the plug-in may cause unwanted behaviour in certain situations when installed in version 3.0 or higher. So, don't expect any development on any version of this plug-in.

Hans

Posted by Puybaret at Jun 23, 2011, 7:14:08 AM
Even if I would prefer people use the solution proposed in the version 3.x, the advanced rendering still works with Sweet Home 3D as far as I know. The unwanted behavior that happened with Sweet Home 3D 3.0 was fixed in the version 3.1.

To answer noxx question about his "save and shutdown pc after rendering" button, I'm not sure I have a way to turn off a computer by program, but I understand autosaving in a default file could be nice. The problem with autosaving is that it obliges the developer to manage a list of autosaved files that should be deleted if not used. But how long should be the delay before considering an image is obsolete? Where these images should be stored?... An apparently simple question might in fact bring many questions sometimes.

Posted by noxx at Jun 23, 2011, 11:11:29 AM
perhaps:

- it is possilbe to define a save-folder in the rendering menu or setup-menu
- it is possible to make snapshots in the rendering menu. each snapshot is rendered, so that i can make more as one rendering-photo over night
- every rendering photo has a prefix with date and time
eg picture_23062011_120500
i think no picture has the same date and time
- its possible to set "shutdown after rendering"

only some ideas :)

and thx for this nice tool

Posted by macfrog at Jun 26, 2011, 7:57:38 PM
noxx,

- it is possible to make snapshots in the rendering menu. each snapshot is rendered, so that i can make more as one rendering-photo over night
- every rendering photo has a prefix with date and time
eg picture_23062011_120500
i think no picture has the same date and time
- its possible to set "shutdown after rendering"

Good ideas, bit i think it's even easier (for the developer). When the Rendering starts, it always starts with an empty picture. When the user interupts the rendering, all the work done is beeing discarded, even the save button remains useless.
So, to solve this, the program has to store the state of the interupted rendering, keep the resulting unfinished picture somewhere and also the rendered buckets (areas being rendered so far) that are already done (together with the measurements etc.). this could quite easily done by asking the user to save current state of rendering, creating a zip file of the unfinished picture and a xml file with the specs.
I've got a very slow machine here to use as well, and sometimes i really need to stop (or PAUSE!) the rendering, which is impossible. therefore a will NEVER create a movie. i need batch rendering for this.
macfrog

Posted by noxx at Jun 29, 2011, 12:07:32 PM
ive here a 64bit-machine with quad core (e5620) and 24GB RAM. i think i can make more as one rendering-picture in a night. i hope the developer found a solution for faster machines.

perhaps sweethome can start only with a empty folder for the pictures.

Posted by Jaffacat at Aug 16, 2015, 1:36:45 AM
shock   Re: Simulate sun position and lights/shadows
please help!! hypnotized hypnotized
the window does not show up, also what version does this support??
/\__/\
(=^.^=)
(")(")_/

Posted by hansmex at Aug 16, 2015, 8:36:37 AM
The AdvancedRendering plug-in doesn't work for SH3D versions 3 and higher.
The functions of this plug-in have been integrated into the program.
Currently SH3D is in version 5, which you can find here .

Hans