Print at Aug 21, 2019 8:26:59 AM

Posted by Puybaret at Oct 4, 2010 10:19:46 PM
Re: Sweet Home 3D 3.0
I just updated the Beta version 3.0.

Caution! It introduces a change in preferences management: preferences, as well as furniture and textures individually imported in Sweet Home 3D catalogs (I don't speak about SH3F or SH3T files here) are not saved the same way from this version 3.0 Beta 5. All the existing preferences and previously imported files won't be forgotten, but all the ones you'll import from now won't appear in previous versions of Sweet Home 3D.

Why this change? For portability sake. smile
No need of the existing Export to SH3F plug-in or the unexisting Export to SH3T plug-in to backup or transfer your Sweet Home 3D configuration. From now, you just have to copy/paste the content of a directory from a place to the other. By default, this location still varies from an Operating System to the other following the same rule as before:
- under Windows Vista / 7, the folder to copy is C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D,
- under Windows XP and previous versions of Windows, it's C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D,
- under Mac OS X, it's the subfolder Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D of your user folder,
- under Linux, it's the subfolder .eteks/sweethome3d of your user folder.
You'll see that as soon as you updated preferences, these directories contain now a new file named preferences.xml that will replace system preferences from now.

But there's more: It's possible now to change the "preferences" folder where are stored preferences.xml and imported files, and the "application" folders where are stored SH3F, SH3T, SH3L, SH3P and recovered SH3D files. These folders are specified with the com.eteks.sweethome3d.preferencesFolder and com.eteks.sweethome3d.applicationFolders System properties.
Miserably it's not really possible to test these new options with Java Web Start, but I'll be pleased to read your opinion about the new options described in the javadoc comment of the com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D class.
I hope these new options will satisfy most needs bound to portability and installations on local networks.

By the way, I'd like to know your desires about a portable version. Do you prefer:
- a big zip file that will contain Sweet Home 3D executables for each OS along with JREs for Windows, Linux 32 and 64 bits (probably something as big as 100 MB compressed / 300 MB uncompressed),
- a smaller zip file that will contain Sweet Home 3D executables for each OS without JREs that the user will have to install on his side (probably something 16 MB compressed / 23 MB uncompressed),
- a Jar executable file like the existing one that requires an installed JRE too (15 MB compressed / don't need to be uncompressed but people are not used to double click on a Jar file).
Of course, all these portable versions will store their preferences and other application data in a subfolder of the folder from which the portable program will be launch.

Finally, I also added the background image in the printed plan, if it's visible. If you don't want it at print time, hide it! wink

[Edit]I released version 3.0 Beta 6 one hour later this message to fix an annoying bug that deleted some of the imported files when preferences were modified in version 3.0 Beta then modified again in version 2.6. It ended up by new prefixes for furniture and texture imported files in preferences folder.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer