Print at Jul 8, 2020, 2:09:18 AM

Posted by azgooon at May 15, 2020, 10:51:11 AM
Re: Issue with door model and sash properties
Hi Emmanuel,

I am sorry for the delay in reporting back but I have experienced some other issues along the way and it took me some time before I looked into the right place... I must have had some textures missing on my model and as a result, my doors were transparent here and there. Because I was experimenting with Blender I was convinced that Blender is causing this issue. In addition, it turned out that the problem with textures from my initial post was down to the incorrect scaling between Sketchup and OBJ files.
Anyway, today I have finally managed to import the OBJ file to the furniture editor and then use it within Sweet Home 3d and I am very impressed :) On that note, I wanted to thank you for the guide.


I've noticed that when the door has been opened the floor from either room doesn't cover inside of a white wall. Do you know by any chance how this can be sorted?




For anyone who found this post while searching for more info around "movable SketchUp" models, I wanted to share a couple of tips...

When manually altering Obj files containing more objects/groups it's more convenient to have fewer items to go through however built-in Sketchup export to OBJ support creates every single part within each group as a separate entity as well as names them in not very intuitive way, so the process of distinguishing and renaming to Sweet Home 3D part names is far from ideal. In the end, I have used

OBJexporter (c) 2013 TIG


This plugin still works with SketchUp 2020. Advantages are that it combines elements into larger objects and adds texture name to the name so not only it's so much easier to manually adapt the file but also if you exporting multiple times you can use regex to process object names.
Personally, I have recorded macro in my editor replacing text with below regex and then processing file was a matter of 2 clicks...

^[go]\s[^-]+-([^-]+)-([^-]+)-Hinges$
o sweethome3d_hinge_1_\L$1_\L$2

^[go]\s[^-]+-([^-]+)-([^-]+)-Door$
o sweethome3d_opening_on_hinge_1_door_\L$1_\L$2

^[go]\s[^-]+-([^-]+)-([^-]+)-Handles$
o sweethome3d_opening_on_hinge_1_handle_\L$1_\L$2


In my final approach, I haven't used Blender to adopt my file. The above take also fixed the issue with extremely downsized textures on my models. I hope this will save someone some time :)