Print at Sep 23, 2020, 7:02:48 PM

Posted by Ceciliabr at Oct 9, 2019, 11:33:27 AM
Re: Off the beating track
Hi VeroniQ,
Thanks for your nice comment!
What sort of texture do you use for the lake?
The water is in fact not a texture, it's a 3D model of water generated from a height-field map. The water reflections are quite natural, and are created by applying a glass surface in the .mtl -file:

newmtl sea
Ka 0.0 0.0 0.0
Kd 1.0 1.0 1.0
Ks 0.33 0.33 0.33
Ns 10.0
d 0.86
illum 2

I have tried to explain it here
And there's also a link to a water model ( and some other things I have created ), that can be downloaded HERE

How do you obtain this very realistic colors?
I have had some time to experiment for a couple of weeks ( no children), and I have spent some time looking at ways of using Enko's panel lights, applying different colours and intensity. I have also experimented with layering slightly displaced copies of my models on top of each other, using transparent textures to create depth and colour variations ( like faking displacement/bump maps).
The colour of the water is determined by an underlying layer ( a box) that I have textured with different shades of blue and green.

I'm abroad at the moment, without my SH3D-files, so I cannot give you any examples now, but I can come back with a more in-depth explanation ( and some more examples) when I get back to my workstation at the end of the week.

Cecilia