Print at Mar 19, 2019 5:30:06 AM

Posted by Puybaret at Jul 14, 2017 3:42:24 PM
Re: Sweet Home 3D 5.5
okh, thanks for sharing your thoughts smile

My greatest concern with any software upgrade, is whether features are added at the cost of speed/interface.
Don't worry it's my main concern too. But as I could have forgotten some special cases, I appreciate that you double-check, especially on a slow machine. I was worried about how to retrieve the size of 3D models in existing homes and libraries, but I finally find a fast way to explore the entries in a zip file. Managing doors and windows that cut out both sides of walls is a more heavy operation, but the difference should be very little.

About the new icon size in preferences, the top views of 3D models used as icons in the plan are not saved in a sh3d file, except if that top view was precomputed and used in the pieceIcon# property of a piece of furniture.
Thus, these icons are generated by Sweet Home 3D when opening a home, and generating larger icons should slow down the program a little.
Images set in the planIcon# property of a piece don't have to be square, and will be always resized to the size of the piece in the plan.
I don't know how much work would be required to add support for SVG for plan icons or background images. Sweet Home 3D supports only SVG Paths at the moment, but I guess Batik must also be able to convert SVG data to the needs of a Java graphical program like Sweet Home 3D. My main concern would be about performances, because drawing a SVG will run slower than drawing an image most of the time. I'll check how difficult this task is in the coming days.

I wouldn't mind to add a shortcut for preferences under Windows and Linux (under Mac OS X, it's cmd + , ). I just don't know which one is commonly used under those systems. Any suggestion?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer