Print at May 21, 2019 12:28:05 AM

Posted by okh at Jul 14, 2017 10:21:24 AM
Re: Sweet Home 3D 5.5
..3D model icons in the plan with a new preferences setting. From the default size 128x128...
Most interesting feature, which can significantly improve display (and print/export?) of a plan. Did not come across any issue at all when experimenting with the different icons (so in terms of beta-testing, the below is not important). In fact, the feature worked perfectly. Increasing to 1024×1024 (temporarily) could really improve 2D view (e.g. thread 7832).

The feature is also interesting for creating models with custom planIcons, so I am trying to get my head around this. Am I right in thinking:
  • Model icons are not saved with the home, so increasing the icon size from 128×128 to 1024×1024 will not change the file size (?)
  • Model icons are generated by SH3D when opening a home (or importing a model), and if that is right, will larger icons impact performance? It seems that increasing the icon size can take a few seconds (less so when decreasing), but not dramatically. And once the gray clocks vanished, I could not notice a performance loss (but I did not max out the RAM, I rarely do).
  • Increasing model icon size will not change an existing custom planIcon (which will be saved with the home)?
  • Tried a custom planIcons with odd size 78×43 (awning , same proportions as model) that seemed to work well. But for custom planIcons is it better to use square .pngs or does it not matter?
  • Wondering whether, in a future version (not priority), it would be difficult/possible to support custom SVG planIcons. Think this has been discussed and that SVG icons might impair performance. In another context I tested pulling 100 SVG files as images in html. Both IE and Opera displayed the page with no noticeable delay. Only at 100+ svg images (many animated) there was a quick blink before images became visible on a slow computer.
The only thing I would suggest, is considering a keyboard shortcut to access preferences. I find myself opening preferences a lot already (to change new wall/floor settings mostly), and will may toggle icon size quite frequently too.

Anyway, great feature. No problems. Happy.

And happy 14th of July.

ok