Print at Mar 23, 2019 12:17:30 PM

Posted by Ceciliabr at Feb 27, 2016 6:08:11 AM
Re: high quality pictures at night - outside
Good morning, and thank you, Maz !

Yes, this is rendered with SH3D, with default settings, and no post-processing done. This is "straight out of the box".

I prefer to create my own models, and my terrains are no exception. They are, as you mention, high-poly procedurals, but I never let a program create a "random" terrain for me. The "randomness" offered is in fact not so random after all, and the terrains created at "random" are maybe good for games, but totally unusable for creating natural environments – as are the ones you find laying around the net for free. In a way that's quite understandable.
I think it's great that people are sharing, and I don't mind sharing at all – but, and there's always a but: Once you share a useful creation and it becomes poplar, suddenly everyone starts is using it – and suddenly your own creations, the originals, emerges as copies.
After having worked with a lot of different visualization programs since I fled from art-school some thirteen years ago, I can easily recognize the most popular CGI-effects used over and over again; in TV-series, commercials, even in big Hollywood productions. When you spot shortcuts like that, it takes a bit of the magic away.
I want my pictures to have a story in them. That's why I mostly create my own models.
Well...

The best way to create a usable terrain is to use Photoshop (or some other paint program) an create a height map in black and white, and then use a program like Verto Studio ( or World Machine on PC) to create a terrain from the image. Then you'll have some control over how your terrain will look, and after a little practice, you can easily draw roads, rivers, valleys, mountains and so on using only the height info in the grey-tones.
Normally I use a Wacom tablet, but I also draw terrains with coal and a soft pencil on aquarelle ( watercolour?) paper, and then scan it. It produces a terrain with a very natural, uneven surface, good for grassy fields and plateaus.
I don't think topological data is available for Denmark, and who needs it, really, for modelling Denmark? After all Denmark is not famous for it's stunning scenery, wild mountains and deep valleys. (But it's beautiful all the same.)

Myself, I use a program named Vue to create both terrains and textures. Good textures are hard to make, and something I need to experiment a lot more with.