Print at Jan 27, 2022, 5:59:30 AM

Posted by Puybaret at May 19, 2015, 8:07:05 AM
Re: Sweet Home 3D 5.0
will you include Add points to room to the Plan top menu?
No, because it would require to introduce a new kind of selection that would let the user select a point in the plan without losing the current selected room.

I get this feeling that future use of SH3D will rely more and more on the right-click context menus.
This is the main reason why these new Add point to room and Delete point from room menu items didn't appear yet. A good user interface should make available all the possible actions in the main menu, but as said previously, it's almost impossible for these items as well as the Select object / Toggle selection menu to appear elsewhere than the contextual menu, because they need a point.
You may like contextual menus, but keep in mind that many users are not used to it (mainly Mac OS X users), and those people might completely ignore that these features are available.

Maybe even the download version should move in the direction of the online version, with no (or optional) top menu (with some more toolbar buttons, of course)
The Online version doesn't come with a menu bar because it's not common to have one in such a part of a web page. But the more I think about it, the more I want to add an option in the Online preferences that will let the user show this menu bar (after all, Java makes it possible easily).
Keep in mind that the menu can be seen like a mini user's guide that people explore to learn how to use a software. wink

YGYL, thanks for your suggestion about "hollow point" but I have no idea about what you mean! sad
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer