Print at May 25, 2019 4:44:33 AM

Posted by hansmex at Nov 6, 2013 4:33:03 PM
Re: Can I customize the render settings
Emmanuel,

I finally got it to work. I tried a few months ago, but I must have done something wrong.

The "Optimized settings" work OK under Q3 and Q4.
The "Default" settings work OK under Q3 and Q4.
When I insert the settings given as "High settings", it works OK under Q3, but under Q4 I get immediately a black picture. No calculation done. (Same file, same everything)

Best results always were obtained with Q3. Q4 consistently gives a lot of "speckling". (The infamous white artefacts)
My test renders were 1200x900 pixels, and the slowest finished in about 3 minutes on my quad core computer.
Seen (1) the rather large quality improvement and (2) the fact that increasingly people will use faster computers, maybe it is time to re-think the quality settings.

My suggestion would be something like this:
Q1 = current Q1 or Q2
Q2 = current Q3 or something similar
Q3 = "default" or "optimized" settings mentioned above (or something similar)
Q4 = Super high quality settings, lots of mirroring, ray tracing, bouncing, or whatever other settings you can think of, for a maximum result.

The tool tips for these settings could explain that Q1 is for older, slower computers, Q2 is for a better quality image, maybe duo core, Q3 is high quality, preferably quad core, etc.

This way you offer a greater flexibility without the need for lots of programming.

Hans