Print at Jan 22, 2021, 5:55:37 AM

Posted by Puybaret at Feb 8, 2013, 9:21:37 AM
Re: Sweet Home 3D 4.0
Hans, thanks for you tests. smile

Actually, my main motivation to add this preview was to show to users the result of their change without explaining that it depends on whether texture coordinates are set or not on the 3D model. I fear it's to complicate to explain the notion of texture coordinates in that kind of program, and even for people who would be ready to learn it from long explanations, it would be difficult to indicate with a text what a texture change could give without showing it. Some 3D models have some texture coordinates, some don't, and I don't want unaware people to care too much about it when they import a 3D model.
Still, the rule isn't so complicate: if a face of the 3D model has some texture coordinates set and the material of that face is a texture, then the size of texture is ignored and the texture is wrapped on the face using these texture coordinates. For faces without texture coordinates, a texture material change will use the same behavior as in the global texture change of the furniture modification dialog, i.e. it might give unpleasant results on faces placed on the side of the object.

In the case of the new cylinder in Sweet Home 3D catalog, the texture coordinates added to the cylinder side make the texture image being shown entirely around the cylinder. If I had to take into account the size of the texture, it would require to introduce some kind of new exception (a little like I did for mirrors) and I don't want to introduce exceptions when there is a workaround or a rule to understand with a little patience.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer